• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Useful things to read going into Basic

Brygun

Inactive
Reaction score
I've already seen the thread on the Army Reading List

http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/22608.0.html

And own several of the works listed.

A more specific question is what would be good things to read for those heading into Basic?

Some will certainly be trade specific, infantry vs armored etc.

Suggestions? Links? Sources for the reading material?

edit:
originally posted in the "training" forum as it is specifically for reads heading into basic. Might also belong under the literature forums but it is intended for going into training books. (ie. Moderators may move if they deem appropriate)

I'm currently in the recruiting process and it's going a bit slowly for me so I had time to read a lot. I can't tell you what is useful or not but I can tell you what I enjoyed reading.

Starship Trooper, Heinlein.
I decided to join 2 weeks after reading this. A large part of the book is about boot camp. I cried reading it. (From pain ! I was reading too much.)

On Killing, Dave Grossman.
This is just fascinating. Even hard to believe sometimes. It seems killing is not like in the movies.

Maneuver warfare handbook, William Lind.
If you want to join the land force. OK, I will probably never maneuver battalions left and right but it's very interesting to read still. There are exercises at the end that I enjoyed doing.

On War, Clausewitz.
The Art of War, Sun Tzu.
Not the most fun things to read but everybody is quoting/commenting them. At some point you have to read them and see what it's all about.

OK, nothing of this will help you much during basic, but between push up sets at the gym it's great. :)

There's probably not much out there off the shelves in Chapter's that will materially improve your performance in any particular BMQ Performance Objective, but there are a few subjects you might want to explore in order to prepare for the future in a more general sense:

Try a St John's Ambulance First Aid book; it should parallel what you'll learn in First Aid during BMQ (just remember to study from your own notes for the tests in case of differences in presentation).

Anything general on personal organization and time management may help you prepare for the adjustments to the structured schedule of BMQ.

If you've been out of school for a while, anything on note taking and study practices might help, good study habits can be valuable when you are tired from full training days and time-pressured by other activities.

Money management, even in BMQ it's time to start thinking about the future, small investments now are better than larger ones 20 years from now (rom the Recruiting FAQ: Entering the CF and YOUR Money.... [Read this thread, it's more important than you might think.] --  http://army.ca/forums/threads/26093.0.html)

Your course staff will give you all the information you need to get through the course. It may be best to choose your reading material for a break from the pace and subjects of the training.

Zarathustra said:
Starship Trooper, Heinlein.

Ayup, read it. Interseting perspective.

Zarathustra said:
On Killing, Dave Grossman.
This is just fascinating. Even hard to believe sometimes. It seems killing is not like in the movies.

This is a new one.

Zarathustra said:
Maneuver warfare handbook, William Lind.
I've got, read many times and apply in game simulations the "Art of Meanuever" by Robert Leonhard. Similiarity is likely though at first mention of your title thought it was the same until I picked me AoM up off the stand nearby.

Zarathustra said:
On War, Clausewitz.
The Art of War, Sun Tzu.
copy on the dry read.
On War, a massive production and one of the first times military operational theory was highly studied AND widely distributed. Valuable read though focused on large many power operations vs the mobilie battlaion/company/platoon approaches often seen. I broke out my On War (and turns out it the Army Lists preferred Howard and Paret version) and somewhat dreading the dry, dry... err... highly informative without flivorous flavor text.
Art of War, own/read at least two versions. Useful for ideas and thinking approach as well.

Seems Im well read so far.

Ive got a couple of old field manuals, one 1941 US Basic Field Manual, and a 1967 Pointers for Infantry Leaders.

Michael O'Leary said:
There's probably not much out there off the shelves in Chapter's that will materially improve your performance in any particular BMQ Performance Objective, but there are a few subjects you might want to explore in order to prepare for the future in a more general sense:

Yeah, kinda figuring unlikely to find a "how to rebuild a C7"... but with the net these days you just might (and that kinda scares me  :eek:)

Michael O'Leary said:
Try a St John's Ambulance First Aid book; it should parallel what you'll learn in First Aid during BMQ (just remember to study from your own notes for the tests in case of differences in presentation).

Good point. Got that around somewhere from my expired first aid certificate.

Michael O'Leary said:
Your course staff will give you all the information you need to get through the course. It may be best to choose your reading material for a break from the pace and subjects of the training.

Word is that next basic will be October or Novemeber, so with that as the goal for my PT also looking to build up, resharpen the mind on what might be useful.

Any other recommendations?

Another interesting one:

On the psychology of military incompetence, Dixon.
There's a part of why people join the military and why they are not always the best possible recruits. It can be disturbing a bit, might make you question your motivations.

Try any of these by John Keegan, truly the foremost author in the world on military and military history IMHO of course.

The Face of Battle (London, 1976) ISBN 00670304328
Six Armies in Normandy (1982) ISBN 0140052933
The Mask of Command (London, 1987) ISBN 0712665269
The Price of Admiralty (1988) ISBN 0091737710
The Second World War (Viking Press, 1990) ISBN 0670823597
A History of Warfare (London, 1993) ISBN 0679730826
Fields of Battle: The Wars for North America (1997) ISBN 0679746641
War and Our World: The Reith Lectures 1998 (London: Pimlico, 1999) ISBN 0375705201
The Book of War (ed.) (Viking Press, 1999) ISBN 0670888044
The First World War (New York: Knopf, 1999) ISBN 0375400524
Winston Churchill (2002) ISBN 0670030791
Intelligence in War: Knowledge of the Enemy from Napoleon to Al-Qaeda (2003) ISBN 0375400532
The Iraq War (2004) ISBN 0091800188

A few things that might come in handy are books to further your skills.  Books like the SAS survival guide (the one I have is ISBN 1-930983-19-0), Edible plants, medicinal plants, and other survival manuals.  Winter survival, and winter camping are good to learn about and can be useful.  Lock picking is not only fun (legally only), but it could come in handy.  Same with lock by-passing.  Tracking is a useful skill, and there are books to help you with that.  Courses would be better, but you can learn from books.  Old field manuals may be out of date, but still contain some useful information.  Then there is On War by Clauswitz, The Art of War by Sun Tzu, and The Book of Five Rings by Miyamoto Musashi.  Just a few other books to think about.  Good luck.

Robert

Edited after Steve's post below.  The books I listed won't help at all in Basic, but probably will come in handy later on.  And are good things to learn.  Thanks.

Lock picking and what not will not in any way help you on BMQ, neither would the Art of War - although it is a great read from a brilliant strategist.

Books about rifles, how they work, etc, are worth the read because if you understand how rifles work inside and out it makes learning the C7 that much easier.

Micheal O'Leary is correct when he says there isn't much available to help with your BMQ PO's, but learn St. John Ambulance first aid via course if you can, it will help.

In short, a book about rifle operation, first aid and general field craft are all you need. The rest are either not going to help you at all or just good-reads from a military POV.

Steve.  I understand, everything you need to know about BMQ will be taught to you.  The books I suggested, and I should have said but I forgot, would benefit you more in a career in the Military, not in BMQ.  My mistake for not mentioning, Sorry.  Since you don't really need to read anything beforehand, it might be good to expand your skills in a military POV.  Thanks for bringing that to my attention, because I completely forgot to mention that its not for BMQ, just some good stuff to learn for a future career. 

Robert

Take what I say with a grain of salt since I'm not in the military.  But the topics are ones I am studying, and I can understand how they can come in handy.

Kolyma Tales (Shalamov) 

A little abstract for this thread but as you read you realize that there are many places worse than basic.  Puts things into perspective. 

And anything on the basics of navigation (map and compass).  However, some of the stuff that you read on navigation will be different that what the BMQ will teach (eg. mils not degrees).  But knowing what a topographical map is and how to read it will help, plus knowledge on how to find points on a map using grid references will help, how to plot bearings with a compass will also help, etc.

Good suggestions by all. However, I would remind you that the CF training system is designed to pass candidates, and no prior knowledge of the military or soldiering is required.

If I was advising a friend, I would not recommend any reading at all. If you insist, the only type I would not recommend against is a time-management book. Although you may gain value from a 1st aid course, there may be some differences in what they teach you and what the CF teaches you, so you don't want to confuse yourself. Plus, the First aid portion of BMQ is reasonably easy (as is the rest of BMQ scholastically).

Let your Instructors do their job - they will provide the instruction, allow time for practice/study, and prepare you for your tests. They are skilled at taking completely clueless civvies and producing graduates that meet or exceed the standards required to go on to SQ/trades training. Your advanced reading on navigation, for instance,  is both unnecessary and potentially counter-productive. Besides, half the fun of basic is the struggle. If it's easy, it somehow is not as satisfying at the end.

Work on your fitness and enjoy your last days on civvie street.

Good luck.

Fitness .. God yes.

If anything, read about proper running form and how to develop better speed/technique.

You don't *really* need to read anything for basic. They'll teach you everything you need to know.

However, a book or two that will put what you're really getting into  into perspective is not a bad idea.
Oh, and running (get good shoes).

Use the search function and search everything that is BMQ on Army.ca.

Print out the hundreds of pages and staple them together.

You now have the most useful pre-BMQ book you could ever read.

Back