• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

USE OF MOTORCYCLE IN CAVALRY TASKS

Rec_1

Inactive
Reaction score
Hi All!

Apologies I haven't posted in a while but I'm here to seek some opinion from some of the Cav/Armour heads in this forum on the topic of the use of Motorcycles (two wheel type not quad)within Cav roles.
Ok first off the mark.... would any of you see any function for the use of dispatch riders on the modern battlefield in support of Cav troop to Sqn level ops. Traditionally a dispatch rider would be an asset for a HQ elements passing/retrieving messages and reports or opords etc etc this now is the domain of data transmission and network enabled comms. So can we actually find a role for a motorcycle mounted trooper?

Well how about forward recce (pairs) working in unison with armoured troop formations...would this actually work? Lets say 2 x DR's on mil spec bike attached to a troop. Now we hit the mechanics of this proposal and where I am interested in your view if you would care to contribute.

There are many factors to consider and I  Will just throw out a couple:
1. Risk: Why risk pers on an unarmoured platform how could I justify this might work in Stability operations..might...prob not very workable in high tempo modern battle environment...increased mobility tradeoff? Low signature?
2. Logistics: Now may need to carry and push forward additional POL/parts (if not single fuel compatible)
3. Training: Another platform to add into training cycle?

I know there is much in certain military ops (SF) etc where a bike platform will work as it may suit specific mission profile aand there has been some success with their use with US forces etc  But what about in the Cavalry? I know some coined use of bikes as 'Blood recce'...don't need to elaborate on how it got that title!

Would appreciate any thoughts.

Thank you gentlemen.

R1

Why use Cav guys as dispatch riders? They already have enough important tasks on their plates.

Additionally, it is a taskfun already filled by the Signal Corps. The signal units supporting an HQ are outfitted with a rover section. The secondary role of that section is dispatches. Which makes sense, as the unit responsible to transmit data is then in control of the pers who act as a back up if the data comms should go down.

Thank you for your contribution.
I am proposing the use of motorcycles within
Cavalry operations/ roles  and not solely DR tasks.
Would you like to operate motorcycles on route recce
For example if you had option/ asset available to you?
Pros and cons For their hypothetical employment.

The artillery also used to employ motorcycles in dispatch rider roles but that has been gone for at least a decade.

As for using motorcycles for recce the biggest problem I see is that a motorcycle can't carry sensors. Therefore, anyone using a motorcycle for recce is basically limited to the Mk 1 eyeball and binos. I'm not to sure it makes sense to have guys screaming around on very noisy platforms when we can more easily accomplish the same task using the whole suite of recce and surveillance assets we currently have that are much more covert. 

I just don't see what capacity they would be adding that we don't already have filled.

jeffb said:
The artillery also used to employ motorcycles in dispatch rider roles but that has been gone for at least a decade.

As for using motorcycles for recce the biggest problem I see is that a motorcycle can't carry sensors. Therefore, anyone using a motorcycle for recce is basically limited to the Mk 1 eyeball and binos. I'm not to sure it makes sense to have guys screaming around on very noisy platforms when we can more easily accomplish the same task using the whole suite of recce and surveillance assets we currently have that are much more covert. 

I just don't see what capacity they would be adding that we don't already have filled.

They are no longer noisy and loud.

http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/110906.0.html

What happens when wolves chase you though?

http://news.nationalpost.com/2013/06/14/banff-motorcyclist-pursued-by-massive-grey-wolf-along-stretch-of-b-c-highway-takes-pictures/

It seems to me you are going about this backwards. Instead of asking if motorcycles could be used to fill various roles, you should look for capability gaps and then ask what would best fill them.

If the answer happens to be motorcycles then so be it. But don't try to shoe horn equipment into various roles simply to find a way to use/justify it.

For example: The light infantry (and others?) use LOSVs to transverse great distances very quickly in the winter. Their small size, easy of use and relatively short logistical tail make themyou ideal for accessing remote areas. However, without snow theses vehicles can not be used. Could motorcycles be used to replace them in the summer?

I would argue not as motorcycles can not carry enough kit to sustain the operators and are not well suited to draging trailers off road. However you get the idea. Ask can a motorcycle do "x" task that we can not accomplish already? Instead of: motorcyles are good at "Y" how can I convince people we need to start doing "Y"?

I was an Arty DR in the late 70's with 1RCHA in Germany. Aside from running messages, my most useful function was probably traffic control on road moves.  Being a Despatch Rider was also one of the most enjoyable jobs I ever had during my 33 years.  I was paid to ride a motorcycle! I also believe that the intensive rider training has been key to my safe and enjoyable riding since.

I was on one of the last DR course in Germany, but never got to be one, it was one of the funnest courses I've ever done. Could we use them in recce sure.

Did my first military motorcycle course with 4 Svc, also did the DR role there. that was on the Armstrong 500 cc motorcycle. I then did the KLR 250 cc course in 1997 and my military motorcycle instructor course in 2000. Taught on both operator and instructor courses before the motorcycle left the CAF in the fall of 2002. Still riding today on both street and offroad.

Back