• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

US warship docks in Georgia to help reassure over Russia tensions- Oct. 2014

CougarKing

Army.ca Fixture
Inactive
Reaction score
Just how much can an amphibious command ship with few armaments do to actually stop Russia if Putin tries round 2 on Georgia?

Defense News

US Warship Arrives in Georgia as Tensions Rise Over Ukraine
Oct. 14, 2014 - 02:44PM  |  By AGENCE FRANCE-PRESSE 

BATUMI, GEORGIA — A US warship docked in Georgia’s Black Sea port of Batumi Tuesday, the US embassy said, as tensions in the region remain high over Russia’s role in the conflict in Ukraine.

The arrival of the USS Mount Whitney for a five-day visit “reaffirms the United States’ commitment to strengthening ties with NATO allies and partners like Georgia,” the US embassy said in a statement.

The flagship of the US Navy 6th Fleet “will conduct routine combined training with the Georgian Coast Guard,” the embassy said.

(...SNIPPED)

Same reason why there are American troops at the DMZ in South Korea.  Tripwire force to deter shenanigans and to help guarantee US involvement if something did happen.  Either way, I'm sure it makes the Georgians a little happier. Also who knows what kind of EW capabilities the ship has.

S.M.A. said:
Just how much can an amphibious command ship with few armaments do to actually stop Russia if Putin tries round 2 on Georgia?

I think you could arguably ask the same question about each one of the ships operating in the NATO fleet in the area at the present moment.  I think the point that is trying to be made is this:  "Look at all of our allies within NATO.  They are willing to be here to help us if need be."

If you are specifically pointing out about one ship, it doesn't seem like much, but when you look at the size of the NATO countries, and the indiviual powers that they could potentially wrangle up if something actually did happen...  Well, all that equipment working in (some kind of) harmony would be an impressive feat, in my honest opinion.

It all boils down to the old redneck saying:  "Mess with me, you mess with the WHOLE trailer park."

Besides, Robert0288 does raise a valid point.  Who knows EXACTLY what the USS Mount Whitney has onboard.  You can modify just about anything, these days.

Points to ponder, I guess.

Rev

EW capabilities aside,  doesn't the fact that it is the 6th Fleet's flagship that the US plunked down in the harbour say a lot about the point the U.S. is trying to make?  :dunno:

G2G

As other's have pointed it out, although built as an Amphibious Command Ship, it.hasn't been that in a long time.  It's the Flagship of 6th Fleet, the US Med Naval Command, which has things like Carrier Strike Groups and Amphibious Ready Groups under its command when assigned. Recently it was also the Headquarters for Oddysey Dawn, the initial US actions in Libya.  The turnover to MGen Bouchard happened onboard as his headquarters was setting up in Naples.

Which means it would have lots of GoFos and senior officers for diplomatic receptions and other important reassurance activities...

Back