• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

US Coasties To Serve on Royal Navy Frigates

tomahawk6

Army.ca Legend
Inactive
Reaction score
Sounds like a good deal for those selected.

http://coastguard.dodlive.mil/2014/07/a-royal-relationship/

The U.K. Royal Navy will soon have some extra hands on deck.

Beginning in October, several enlisted Coast Guard men and women will join their seagoing counterparts from the U.K. to support the manpower needs of its Type 23 frigates.

Coast Guard Commandant Adm. Paul F. Zukunft and First Sea Lord and Chief of Naval Staff of the U.K. Royal Navy Adm. Sir George Zambellas signed a memorandum of understanding Wednesday, which aims to strengthen the maritime partnership between the United States and the United Kingdom.

Coast Guard personnel are scheduled to support the Royal Navy from 2014 to 2019 for 36-month accompanied tours. The volunteer personnel, who come from Coast Guard afloat and ashore commands, were chosen for their experience and their ability to meet the existing engineering needs of the navy.

That could be a benefical program for us as well.  It's been quite a while since I've heard of any exchange programs with... anyone.

I was thinking the same.An exchange with the Canadian Navy would make more sense to me.But then I am a landlubber.

jollyjacktar said:
That could be a benefical program for us as well.  It's been quite a while since I've heard of any exchange programs with... anyone.
Ummm... http://www.navy-marine.forces.gc.ca/en/about/structure-marlant-news-view.page?doc=serving-on-regulus-a-new-world-of-naval-development/hwn8ur0x

hamiltongs said:
Ummm... http://www.navy-marine.forces.gc.ca/en/about/structure-marlant-news-view.page?doc=serving-on-regulus-a-new-world-of-naval-development/hwn8ur0x

I am well aware of "regulus" and what was proposed (several years ago).  I have yet to hear of anyone actually participating in it.  As far as I know, it's a dead issue.

Had a couple of dudes from RNZN Clearance Diver unit exchange with a couple from FDU(P) during my last stint there in 08...last I heard of Regulus happening.

MM

jollyjacktar said:
I am well aware of "regulus" and what was proposed (several years ago).  I have yet to hear of anyone actually participating in it.  As far as I know, it's a dead issue.
Not sure if you had a chance to look at that link, but as of the article date of mid-June, 100 people have exchanged. Not a huge uptake over three years, but far from nothing.

I'm going to go a bit off topic and get on a soap box.

The RCN has to do a massive overhaul of their DWAN website. The last time anything of substance was updated was late 2012 early 2013. Tons of dead links as well.
When I asked the webmaster if there was going to be an update, my supervisor got a call from Ottawa basically telling me to shut up!

How are we able to inform our sailors about happenings within the RCN when the centre refuses to release even the most basic of information regarding policy, future fleets and RODs!

Rant over.

I queried the same thing and got the "We are going for the common look and feel (and bilungual) Ver 100.0..." response.

Back