• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

US ARMY OR CANADIAN ARMY?

Status
Not open for further replies.

brandon_g

Inactive
Reaction score
sorry i dont know where to post this so if someone could move it for me that would be great.
heres my question..i joined the canadian and am going to basic training april 1 and had the choice of whether to join the canadian army or the us army--just infantry. i have dual citizenship so i could have joined either. so in turn i joined the cf. i was very close to joining the us army but didnt. im not regreting my decision but im just curious to what some of you guys think. so...if you were in my shoes what army would you have joined and for what reasons??
if you have time...whats the pros/cons of each army?
your answers wont make me regret or rejoice my decision

if i was in your place, Id choose the Canadian army, for the simple reason, i live in this country and i am loyal to it, before any other.

I joined the Canadian army because i wanted to serve my country, that should have been your decision, i wouldn' t try and think now weather it's the best idea now, your in the CF so make the best out of it.

You should have joined the US Army.  You have dual, and they need soldiers a lot more than we do right now, because they are carrying the world's fight pretty much by themselves.

Tom

RHFC said:
I joined the Canadian army because i wanted to serve my country, that should have been your decision, i wouldn' t try and think now weather it's the best idea now, your in the CF so make the best out of it.

sorry..im not thinking if it was the best decision now because i KNOW it is. im just curious of what OTHER people would decide...thats all. some people join the cf because it is their country and i know people who would join the us army to work with up to date technology and fight/serve with a much larger force.

There was a saying going around Germany, wa-aaay back when we had a Brigade-Group sitting in Lahr.
"An army with American equipment, Canadian troops, and German officers could rule the world."

Despite some potential "weakening" in all western armies, joining the Canadian infantry will still make you one of the best trained soldiers on this planet.....better, of course, if we had our mortars, pioneers, and TOW back.....but that's been "mentioned" somewhere else I think  ;)

Journeyman said:
There was a saying going around Germany, wa-aaay back when we had a Brigade-Group sitting in Lahr.
"An army with American equipment, Canadian troops, and German officers could rule the world."
I heard that same quote a while back but instead of Germans, it was British officers....  ???

The Gues-|- said:
I heard that same quote a while back but instead of Germans, it was British officers....   ???

British? Who wants to haul around those big trunks and all that fancy chinaware?

yeah i heard the same quote and it was German officers, cdn soldiers, and american equipment

brandon_g said:
sorry i dont know where to post this so if someone could move it for me that would be great.
heres my question..i joined the canadian and am going to basic training april 1 and had the choice of whether to join the canadian army or the us army--just infantry. i have dual citizenship so i could have joined either. so in turn i joined the cf. i was very close to joining the us army but didnt. im not regreting my decision but im just curious to what some of you guys think. so...if you were in my shoes what army would you have joined and for what reasons??
if you have time...whats the pros/cons of each army?
your answers wont make me regret or rejoice my decision

You should join the US Army. They do not require you to use proper capitalization, punctuation and grammer in their written correspondence. In the Canadian Forces, how you write is an area of assessment, regardless of military occupation. To be promoted in the CF, you need to demonstrate the ability to communicate effectively through written correspondence. Another area that is assessed for potential for promotion is dedication to the ethnics and principle of the CF. In this area you have low potential because already you demonstrate by questioning your decision to join the CF you are not fully committed to serving your country and possibly giving up your life in its service. In the US Army, if you are not fully committed to God and Country when you join, the indoctrination of basic training will make it so for you.

Also if you spell checked your post you would have realized you needed to capitalize the appropriate words, for instance and most glaringly, "Canadian".

May I suggest you read this thread in your research:

http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/31327/post-224178.html#msg224178

In my opinion, if you were born in Canada, then that is who you fight for. No other option if you ask me.  :cdn: :cdn: :cdn:  :salute:

The Gues-|- said:
I heard that same quote a while back but instead of Germans, it was British officers....   ???

Ya I heard it was German size battalions, British officers, Canadian soldiers, and American equipment. Oh well I guess it doesn't really matter what it is.

Anyway if I was in your shoes I would choose the CF, because Canada is my country, and I would want to give back to it what it has given to me.

Armymedic said:
You should join the US Army. They do not require you to use proper capitalization, punctuation and grammer in their written correspondence. In the Canadian Forces, how you write is an area of assessment, regardless of military occupation. To be promoted in the CF, you need to demonstrate the ability to communicate effectively through written correspondence. Another area that is assessed for potential for promotion is dedication to the ethnics and principle of the CF. In this area you have low potential because already you demonstrate by questioning your decision to join the CF you are not fully committed to serving your country and possibly giving up your life in its service. In the US Army, if you are not fully committed to God and Country when you join, the indoctrination of basic training will make it so for you.

Also if you spell checked your post you would have realized you needed to capitalize the appropriate words, for instance and most glaringly, "Canadian".

Did I ask if my grammar, spelling etc. was good enough to have in the Canadian army? Nor did I ask what is assessed for potential promotion.  If you would like me to write properly I will. I am not questioning my decision, because if I was, I should not have joined with an uncertain answer.  My question was asking other peoples opinions, what would they have done, not what I should have done.  The number one in my life is God, not my country, so if I decide to serve another country, I know that God will guide me through.

brandon_g said:
Did I ask if my grammar, spelling etc. was good enough to have in the Canadian army? Nor did I ask what is assessed for potential promotion.  If you would like me to write properly I will. I am not questioning my decision, because if I was, I should not have joined with an uncertain answer.  My question was asking other peoples opinions, what would they have done, not what I should have done.  The number one in my life is God, not my country, so if I decide to serve another country, I know that God will guide me through.

Take the shots with a grain of salt, there common here (Warranted or not). Some people just like to dish it out moreso than others, and some just have their days. I think Armymedic may be having a day...

Like i said, a grain of salt.

Much better, thank you. And no, it is not "my day". I am an adult and on this forum we communicate like adults. Exactly like we do in the CF.

I understand your curiosity, but I do not believe that all join the military out of nationalistic pride and sense of duty. I believe they join for a variety of other reasons. As for either CF or US forces, without someone's first person viewpoint of what the differences are between the two, I do not believe you will get any satisfactory answers that are based on actual experience.

Armymedic said:
Much better, thank you. And no, it is not "my day". I am an adult and on this forum we communicate like adults. Exactly like we do in the CF.

I understand your curiosity, but I do not believe that all join the military out of nationalistic pride and sense of duty. I believe they join for a variety of other reasons. As for either CF or US forces, without someone's first person viewpoint of what the differences are between the two, I do not believe you will get any satisfactory answers that are based on actual experience.
Thank you for your reply Armymedic.  It did make me think about it and I should start writing professionally, I better get used to it. You are right with the first person viewpoint, but you can also gather a lot of information from a relative/friend who has been in one or the other that could be in a deciding factor, and for an opinion.

After a quick search of the quote section:

"If I had American supply lines, British planes, German officers and Canadian troops, I could take over the world"
- Attributed to Field Marshal Erwin Rommel, though it has been since shown that he in fact never said this.

I would have went USMC just for the basic fact you could do your minimal time there get a good tour to Iraq and come back and join the Canadian army afterwards.If I had my time back I would have joined the British army,but alas with a pregnant wife and a comfortable life all thats left is the wondering....

Your young go do some cool shit then come home and serve your country.One other beautiful thing about the US army is the promotion rate.You always got young guys to be bitch's and work their asses off,due to the fact they know in 6-7 years they'll be moved up the ranks and other new guys take over.

P.T is also a important thing down there.It may be beginning to be implemented here but at least there you know your WO can pass a PT test.

All that said you should be proud to be a soldier in any army,its the most prestigious career in the world in my mind.

The profession of arms .

I personally would not want to join the US army.  I do not trust the people in charge and do not share their vision as a country. I think whatever country you identify the most with, is the country you should serve.  Now being Canadian, I of course would rather serve here than any country in the world by far, but maybe I'm just a tad biased :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back