• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

UOR new equipment

Not practical for some gear, but smaller ticket items for sure. Or even a slower roll out constant replacement setup to avoid feast or famine (or more apt: hungry or totally starving).
Adopting a genuine "lifecycle" management process? Makes too much sense...

In my occupation we have one LCMM that keeps actually life cycling kit, so we buy newer versions of already approved stuff. We are on the third generation of portable weather station from one manufacturer, because they are the gold standard in the Met world.

Adopting a genuine "lifecycle" management process? Makes too much sense...

In my occupation we have one LCMM that keeps actually life cycling kit, so we buy newer versions of already approved stuff. We are on the third generation of portable weather station from one manufacturer, because they are the gold standard in the Met world.
You apparently have the only LCMM in the Commonwealth that is worth a shit…

The vast majority of the ones I have interacted with over the past several decades are out of touch and more interested in their own fiefdom, than actually working with the user groups who use their commodities.

You apparently have the only LCMM in the Commonwealth that is worth a shit…

The vast majority of the ones I have interacted with over the past several decades are out of touch and more interested in their own fiefdom, than actually working with the user groups who use their commodities.
He's a treasure... unfortunately, he doesn't have an heir-apparent, so things will go poorly when he retires.

These UORs are somewhat different than what we saw during the Afghan War. Those were largely single source procurements whereas these are going the full RFP to industry route.

Once the RFPs get released it will be interesting to see who bids.

You know I really sorta feel bad about the shit sandwich Trudeau has saddled this minister with.
Agreed. So far, she's impressed me with how she holds herself & how well articulate she is, and how she seems to take the MND position with enthusiasm.

Shit sandwich is a pretty apt description of what she's been handed. Great person for the job though, so far

These UORs are somewhat different than what we saw during the Afghan War. Those were largely single source procurements whereas these are going the full RFP to industry route.

Once the RFPs get released it will be interesting to see who bids.
Could they signal a more generalized way of improving the procurement process? Now she has been in both chairs perhaps she has found a way to insert a degree of urgency into the routine and devised a new process that she is prototyping?

Could they signal a more generalized way of improving the procurement process? Now she has been in both chairs perhaps she has found a way to insert a degree of urgency into the routine and devised a new process that she is prototyping?
I sure hope so. It would make my heart swell to see the UOR process become the de facto process for military procurement. Operational items, ofcourse; we can still play the game for office supplies, IT, and other aspects.

Well honestly so much CAF equipment is ridiculously old, missing or clapped out, you probably should be UOR’ing a lot more.
Don't need a UOR with no operations :sneaky:

Patrick Dangerfield Thinking GIF by geelongcats

Well honestly so much CAF equipment is ridiculously old, missing or clapped out, you probably should be UOR’ing a lot more.
Honestly we should be UOR’ing a lot more than we do, if for no other reason we could get the kit we want in a timely fashion.

It isn’t below the military to create an equipment crisis for the sake of getting newer stuff faster.

I imagine if CAF/MND went to parliament and said “We need X & we need it yesterday, because of Y!” - most Canadian politicians would be easily swayed, as they don’t have a clue about anything military related anyways…

P.S. Not ALL of our stuff is outdated!! We have the LAV 6.0 (not sure where Lav 4 or 5 went, but f**k it…), new TAPV fleet, new Kingfishers, relatively new Cyclones, new medium logistics trucks, new C6 GPMG’s, and new…ummmmmm… AOPS…ummmmmm…

New-ish chinooks, M777’s, decently new C-130J’s, decently young (but racking up hours like nobody’s business) C-17’s…ummmmmm… oh, and “new to us” F-18’s from Australia!!

So there 😤

Honestly we should be UOR’ing a lot more than we do, if for no other reason we could get the kit we want in a timely fashion.

It isn’t below the military to create an equipment crisis for the sake of getting newer stuff faster.

I imagine if CAF/MND went to parliament and said “We need X & we need it yesterday, because of Y!” - most Canadian politicians would be easily swayed, as they don’t have a clue about anything military related anyways…

P.S. Not ALL of our stuff is outdated!! We have the LAV 6.0 (not sure where Lav 4 or 5 went, but f**k it…), new TAPV fleet, new Kingfishers, relatively new Cyclones, new medium logistics trucks, new C6 GPMG’s, and new…ummmmmm… AOPS…ummmmmm…

New-ish chinooks, M777’s, decently new C-130J’s, decently young (but racking up hours like nobody’s business) C-17’s…ummmmmm… oh, and “new to us” F-18’s from Australia!!

So there 😤
Not sure how you define new…
The other issue is due to the low quantity that the CAF procures, a lot of kit gets clapped out sooner than expected.

Don't need a UOR with no operations :sneaky:

Patrick Dangerfield Thinking GIF by geelongcats
See, you ain’t wrong… it’s just that nobody told either MND about the operations part…

As much as I think she’s doing a great job with a challenging portfolio like Defense, our MND has committed us to en enhanced presence in SE Asia, we’re expanding our forward presence in Latvia, we’ve got MCDV’s steaming around Haiti (not sure what they are supposed to be doing?) plus the usual training of foreign forces, commitments to standing fleets & such…and OP Lentus hasn’t even begun yet!

“…oh, sorry sir, I must’ve misheard you. I thought you said reconstitution…”

Not sure how you define new…
The other issue is due to the low quantity that the CAF procures, a lot of kit gets clapped out sooner than expected.
Oh you meant like actually new…and in large enough quantities that as equipment is take offline due to various reasons, we have more of the same to replace it with?

Well in THAT sense, then no…

I was defining new the way the CAF defines new. So new-ish

Back