• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

University Training Plan NCM (UTPNCM) 2005 - 2018 [Merged]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I found out last week that I will be getting my offer, but at still waiting on my official offer, D Mil C confirmed to my PSO. I know they had a problem with the school choice (a college that grants degrees) so they didn't want to release a message yet. I have since gained entry to an actual university (Acadia), and should hopefully receive an offer soon.

I suppose the point of it is, don't be discouraged if you haven't got an offer yet. You just never know what's going to happen. I was actually slated for a posting to Germany, and have turned it down for this.

Offer came in just before noon on Friday. Got AERE. Will be headed to Carleton U in the fall for Mechanical Engineering. Looking forward to it!! Good luck to all those still waiting!

Congratulations. Do you know if it was a first or second round message. Either way see you at Carleton sometime in the Fall.

For all those that have been selected, have you been offered OJT in your future trades this Summer? As for myself, I have been offered no further information in regards to my summer employment besides knowing that my current position is going to be filled after I leave for school.

Airman said:
For all those that have been selected, have you been offered OJT in your future trades this Summer? As for myself, I have been offered no further information in regards to my summer employment besides knowing that my current position is going to be filled after I leave for school.

It depends on your new trade.  If it is at base you are at then usually it isn't hard to do.  ULO offices on most bases are busy and it is in your best interest to find OJT yourself (of course telling the ULO office what you are doing).  If you let them do it for you you will probably end up doing something you didn't plan on or that has no bearing on your new trade. 

It also depends on how willing your new trades/environments is to pay for OJT if it means going somehere.  The RCAF had a fairly robust OJT plan for several of but not all of their trades in the years that I did school.  This may change in light of our fiscal restraint.

Best advice is find your own OJT, instead of standing around waiting to be told.

Its been a few days since anyone has posted anything on here.

Anyone else received  any good news?

Yup, I was notified as of 1 May that I had been accepted for ARMD. OCdt effective 1 July, posting as of 15 July. Posted to Queen's. Tried for RMC, but in the end they (D Mil C) approved Queen's.

Congrats on your change of vocation!  Get ready for a real change in life style.  I just finished my first year in the program.  You will love it.

hotei said:
Yup, I was notified as of 1 May that I had been accepted for ARMD. OCdt effective 1 July, posting as of 15 July. Posted to Queen's. Tried for RMC, but in the end they (D Mil C) approved Queen's.

Congrats on the selection!

So I talked with the PSO here today....all first round messages are out, seconds to follow shortly if there are any.

Airman;

Not sure if I was first or second round. Have you decided what stream you are going? I will be in mechanical. See you in the fall!

avstach said:
Airman;

Not sure if I was first or second round. Have you decided what stream you are going? I will be in mechanical. See you in the fall!

After some thought I decided on computer systems, which is certainly a new topic, especially considering my NDT background. Have fun until September.

Bummer, no message for me.  Fingers crossed for second round selections, but I'm gonna move forward assuming I didn't get in this year and prep for next year's competition. 

thirdprophet said:
Bummer, no message for me.  Fingers crossed for second round selections, but I'm gonna move forward assuming I didn't get in this year and prep for next year's competition.

It is hard to wait for those messages.  It seems they are even later this year than last. 

If you are looking to prepare for next year's competition you may want to consider taking some courses relevant to your degree, either in the evenings or by correspondence.  You should be able to submit an Individual Learning Plan through your local PSO office and have the military cover the cost.  This way you have part of your degree started which should make you a more attractive candidate.

Good luck!

Thanks, MeanJean.  I've been taking correspondence courses via ILP for the last four years or so (when not hampered by missions, exercises, and operational tempo) but I'll continue to build up my stack of courses to make myself more competitive.  I also seem to have applied to the most competitive (read: few positions, many candidates, e.g. Int O) trades, so I expected to have to keep trying a few times to break through.

thirdprophet said:
Thanks, MeanJean.  I've been taking correspondence courses via ILP for the last four years or so (when not hampered by missions, exercises, and operational tempo) but I'll continue to build up my stack of courses to make myself more competitive.  I also seem to have applied to the most competitive (read: few positions, many candidates, e.g. Int O) trades, so I expected to have to keep trying a few times to break through.

I'm in the same boat here.  Applying for PSO seems to be pretty slim pickin's! 

Don't shoot the messenger but I called the Education and Commissioning Clerk at D Mil C yesterday and she told me that if I haven't recieved a message yet, to have good luck for next year's application.  Take 3 for me!

thirdprophet:  Looks like you have your professional development well in hand.  I am assuming this was not your first year applying for Int O.  I was lucky and got MSEO on my first year, slightly less competitive than Int O.

Chernoble:  Thanks for the update from D Mil C.  There is nothing worse than waiting. 

@MeanJean - This was my first year applying for UTPNCM, but I think I have a lot more insight on the process now thanks to a very patient and helpful BPSO who went through the process himself to become a PSO.  Since I can't change my CFAT or Personality Inventory, which I'm told is 2/3 of the overall score, I'll keep chipping away at the remaining 1/3 - university credits and leadership, and maybe try to get some more in-field experience if I can.  I'm a bit disappointed just because I'm being posted across the country this year, so when I apply again, it'll be with the backing of a CoC and CO who doesn't really know me or my work... but nothing I can do about that except work hard and keep trying!

Thanks all for this thread and the updates you've been posting on the process and messages - and congrats to all who got in this year!

I believe you can rewrite your CFAT once during your military career.

Gonna see my PSO here, get the pre-study package and try to boost my score. Might help out a bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back