• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

University Training Plan NCM (UTPNCM) 2005 - 2018 [Merged]

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Commandant held a town-hall a week or two ago.  The UTPNCM program will continue, but UTPNCMs will no longer be going to RMC.  There's a ppt. presentation on the RMC intranet, the same presentation as was given by the commandant.  I don't know how much more official you can get.

fhg1893 said:
I don't know how much more official you can get.
How many civies in this recruiting thread do you believe have access to, and the knowledge of where to look on, the RMC intranet?

Journeyman said:
How many civies in this recruiting thread do you believe have access to, and the knowledge of where to look on, the RMC intranet?

Civies for UTPNCM?  I didn't think that was an option...

To answer the questions, at least 1 and at least 1.  I'm a civie, I have access to the RMC intranet, and I know where to look.  I'll see if I can't post the relevant slide tomorrow...

:facepalm:  You are correct.

Non-UTPNCM recruiting threads are overwhelmingly repetitive civie questions, which made for a poor assumption on my part.

Yet another reason why I avoid Recruiting threads.

MeanJean said:
While we are waiting for the messages or emails to come out, what officer occupation and which universities did you guys apply for?
I applied for Signals Officer. Hoping to complete my degree in Computer Science or Physics. I was initially fine with either Civy U or RMC but it looks as though RMC isnt an option anymore. Oh well if an offer comes through Civy U would be fantastic!

So any message traffic showing up on the MCOIN? I dont think anything similar exists in the army Brigades, at least nothing I have come across.

I know that there was a delay due to the offers being approved against the final reduced budget, but I have no idea weather or not as of this minute any offers have been sent.

Anyone hear anything? :)

Still nothing out yet on MCOIN or DocBase.  I have been checking too many times each day. 

I applied with a Civy U as my first choice but I would have taken RMC if they offered it to me.  It is a relief that I do not have to worry about the possibility of moving to Kingston and having to get my house ready to sell.

Good luck everyone!

As part of the UTPNCM application process, did you have to be accepted to a civilian university to apply, even if your first choice was RMC? If an individual was fairly high on the selection list, but only put RMC as their choice or selected a program like Military Studies, are they going to be given time to apply to a civilian university, or just skipped over?

captloadie said:
As part of the UTPNCM application process, did you have to be accepted to a civilian university to apply, even if your first choice was RMC? If an individual was fairly high on the selection list, but only put RMC as their choice or selected a program like Military Studies, are they going to be given time to apply to a civilian university, or just skipped over?

I can only speak on the one case that I know of where the memeber was selected for UTP but not RMC.  In their case they were given an oppurtunity to apply for a civvy u. 

I applied for the UTPNCM last year and am waiting as well.  I am looking for PSEL but it's a stretch as I hear there are 20 applicants and only one spot for UTPNCM this year.

I am saddened to hear about the possibility of RMC not taking any more UTPNCM's.  My wife is an RMC graduate and she spoke very highly of many of the members of Otter Squadron and their positive influence on the school environment and the young cadets.

This also raises some interesting questions in regards to how much money this will save in the long run...  If I am posted to somewhere like Cold Lake, Greenwood or Comox, are they going to pay for a full move to a close University?  Will it really save much more money than bringing a few people to Kingston each year?

Good luck to all the applicants in all programs!  I am assuming I will have to reapply but hoping for a spot!

Chernoble said:
If I am posted to somewhere like Cold Lake, Greenwood or Comox, are they going to pay for a full move to a close University?  Will it really save much more money than bringing a few people to Kingston each year?

They will do a cost move for you to the university, unless you are doing your degree through a distance education center like Athabasca U.  Your acceptance message will dictate what University and program you will attend chosen from the list the applicant sent in.  Many folks don't require this as they are already attending a local university and just continue their studies there.

captloadie said:

The year I applied ('04, so a bit dated) I had to be accepted by 2 civilian universities, regardless if I wanted to go to RMC (I did lol silly me). I know some people only put down RMC and were told to get accepted to at least 1 university before their application would be processed.

Chernoble, it's not a possibility that UT's will no longer be going to RMC, it is done. The current class graduates in 2015 and their will be no more Otter Sqn at RMC. Of course next budget year might change all that, but with everything that seems to be happening at CDA and RMC, it will take a long time before this particular pendulum swings the other way.

Wook

Wookilar said:
Chernoble, it's not a possibility that UT's will no longer be going to RMC, it is done. The current class graduates in 2015 and their will be no more Otter Sqn at RMC. Of course next budget year might change all that, but with everything that seems to be happening at CDA and RMC, it will take a long time before this particular pendulum swings the other way.

Wook

I just got off the phone with Admissions at RMC and it seems that Otter Squadron being disbanded is somewhat untrue.  Basically, UTPNCM's students that come to RMC will now be the exeption and not the rule.  There will still be UTPNCM's at RMC but instead of taking 25 or so a year, it will be more like 5-10 a year.  Most individuals accepted for the program will be sent to a civilian University unless RMC is the better option or their degree program is only offered at RMC.

Jay79 said:
Just curious, where are you getting these names from? You said they are not being published on the MCOIN this year?

I am posted to the Naval Engineering School in MARLANT.  On the MARLANT website there is link to a site/service called DocBase that is part of the intranet site. It allows intranet users to search DocBase for messages.  Unless you have an account, you can only see the title of the message and some other particulars, such as format (ie: outlook/email) and originator.  I cannot see the details of the UTPNCM Selection but I can see that it is a selection and who it is for.  It only accesses messages for MARLANT and not MARPAC or other bases or regions.

One thing that I have noticed is that it has been Weapon Engineer Technicians who have gotten messages. 

Here is an example (not sure how much of it I can publish on the forum)

2012 UTPNCM SELECTION -999 MS BLOGGINS IR 00366 W ENG-FPSO/STAD

Doc# 34XXXXX
Title 2012 UTPNCM SELECTION -999 MS BLOGGINS IR 00366 W ENG-FPSO/STAD
Typist LACKY.IR
Author XXXXXXX
Type EMAIL
Application MS OUTLOOK
Date 26-APR-12
Org MARLANT
Language ENG
Classification PA
RM File Part XXXX XXXXX

I have been checking the MCOIN site and these messages have not surfaced their.  The TYPE and APPLICATION leads me to believe that these messages won't make the published MCOIN site, I could be wrong.

MeanJean said:
What type of officer did you apply for and which university?

Applied to go CSEO as my first choice and to take Engineering at DAL. I got the DAL part but am going Air Force as an AERE now..which is fine by me!!

MeanJean, stop posting publically information on personnel applications and/or approvals unless you have been specifically approved to do so by your CoC.  In your own post you state:
It allows intranet users to search DocBase for messages
  This is correct, and should be heeded -- information on the intranet/DWAN is not to be released unless authorized.  In cases where information is sent out to both the intranet AND internet, such information can be published, but the reference on Milnet.ca should be the internet reference.

Others, if you applied under the UTPNCM program and are interested in knowing your application status, then send a PM to MeanJean, or contact your CFRC point of contact to confirm.

Milnet.ca Staff

So have any of the members who found their messages actually received their offer yet through their chain of command? Im wondering how long it usually takes from the point the message is published to when you actually receive it?

I searched around the DIN for a bit and was able to find plenty of similar message centres for other bases / wings but nothing for the army brigades. Maybe they just dont publish them or if they do I was unable to find anything ::)

I would assume that the if the messages are starting to come out on the east coast that the messages for the rest of the country wouldnt be to far behind..

Has anyone not on the east coast heard anything regarding offers for utpncm?

My apologies for posting the names.  I wasn't using my head.  Lesson learned. 

On another note, nine messages have been sent out to MARLANT and nothing new since the end of April.  For those of you who have applied to a competitive degree, such as engineering, you may want to check with the institution and see if you can register for courses and drop them if you do not get a selection notice.

I didn't register until I got my message and one of the classes was filled.  I have to take it next semester but it all works out.  It would be a really s*$ty deal if you get selected to go but you cannot start your degree due to filled classes.

I emailed D Mil C early last week and the MCpl got back to me Friday stating that the messages have started to come out.

Good Luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back