• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

University of Ottawa Paper Fulcrum Boycotts National Defence Advertisements

Democracy in and of itself is not reason enough to discount protestation of an unfavorable (or morally wrong) result. If that statement is untrue than everyone should be respecting the last Palestinian election, including the Canadian Government. Let's also not forget the results of German democracy in the early 1930's. While the scope is not the same, the principle is. Furthermore, not protesting a result because "you're hurting the wrong guy" is also problematic in that the voices that need to be heard don't get heard. A company decision, democratic or not, should not be allowed to go unchallenged by whatever legal means the "wronged" or "losing" party can or wants to muster.

Whatever democratic decisions an individual endorses has absolutely no anti-hypocritical requirement to any other; it simply comes down to what an individual feels is right or wrong. I feel the vote result with respect to the Fulcrum was wrong. I also feel that the UVic ban being overtuned was right. That doesn't make me hypocritical or democratically challenged.

Aha, I felt my ears burning and there was Vern, actually clipping not one not two but three quotes from me.  You could have knocked me over with a feather!  I must have been on a roll...

Trinity said:
Sadly... the students who voted and thus made the decision will not feel the ill affects from it.
The Fulcrum I read online will lose $7000 in advertising as a result.  Not to mention people
who are now boycotting or up in arms with the Fulcrum. 
In this case the minority gets away with their views at the expense of someone else (the Fulcrum).
Now... with 2 editions left??? until school is over not much damage is done and this can be easily revisited next school year.
But alas, it was all done legally and democratically as per their students rules of their incorporation.  Like
it or hate it it was a well played move by the opposition.  But at best it's symbolistic and isn't going to stop
recruiting.  If anything it's had the opposite effect with more newspaper and media time than the lost $7000
worth of ads could ever buy. 

Thats a good point you bring up.  Did no one on the Fulcrum stand up and say what the consequences of the vote either way would be on the organization itself?  Thats one of the things they're supposed to be learning at University isnt it, how decisions affect an organization?  There should have been at least one person with HR, business or marketing experience who should have thought of that...

Greymatters said:
Aha, I felt my ears burning and there was Vern, actually clipping not one not two but three quotes from me.  You could have knocked me over with a feather!  I must have been on a roll...

Thats a good point you bring up.  Did no one on the Fulcrum stand up and say what the consequences of the vote either way would be on the organization itself?  Thats one of the things they're supposed to be learning at University isnt it, how decisions affect an organization?  There should have been at least one person with HR, business or marketing experience who should have thought of that...

You're quite quick to presume that no one on staff at The Fulcrum stood up and spoke to the consequences. A quick read of the original article would indicate that they did, and that they published advertizements with an aim to get the facts out there --- and get the voters in to vote against the motion.

I believe also, that a member of the staff has been right here and posted reagrding the staff's attempts at informing and making aware the UofO student population.

ArmyVern said:
You're quite quick to presume that no one on staff at The Fulcrum stood up and spoke to the consequences. A quick read of the original article would indicate that they did, and that they published advertizements with an aim to get the facts out there --- and get the voters in to vote against the motion.

I believe also, that a member of the staff has been right here and posted reagrding the staff's attempts at informing and making aware the UofO student population.

And just as quickly slapped down again...  :blotto:

Yes, I did presume and missed the part about the their efforts to inform the student population...

Back