• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Unit training with local police service

mudgunner49

Full Member
Reaction score
0
Points
0
foerestedwarrior said:
Last year we did some training/shoot with the Barrie TRU team. We got to shoot their weapons(AR-15, Barreta, Shotgun, ARWEN, and some of us(ME) got shot with a taser). We also got to shoot our weapons aswell as they did too(84/m72 HEAT, M203 Live, C6, 50cal, 50cal sniper). Best shoot weekend I have ever done.

Dude,

not to p!$$ in anybody's Cheerios, but the TRU does NOT use the Beretta.  OPP uses Browning (tuned up by their own armorer) and SIG.

Just a FWIW...
 

foerestedwarrior

Sr. Member
Reaction score
0
Points
0
mudgunner49 said:
Dude,

not to p!$$ in anybody's Cheerios, but the TRU does NOT use the Beretta.  OPP uses Browning (tuned up by their own armorer) and SIG.

Just a FWIW...

Well it said Beretta on the side, and it wasnt OPP. Barrie City police have their own TRU team.
 

mudgunner49

Full Member
Reaction score
0
Points
0
foerestedwarrior said:
Well it said Beretta on the side, and it wasnt OPP. Barrie City police have their own TRU team.

That's not TRU, that's the Barrie Police Service Containment Team - TRU is an OPP-specific unit and I'm pretty sure there is no other ERT/SERT/SWT/yada-yada in the Province of Ontario that is designated as TRU.  Barrie's Police Service has cross-trained in the past with the OPP TRU Team out of Barrie, however that unit is no more, and that support is now out of Orrilia, and has been for a couple of years at least.

Attention to detail...


blake
 

Thompson_JM

Sr. Member
Reaction score
0
Points
0
mudgunner49 said:
That's not TRU, that's the Barrie Police Service Containment Team - TRU is an OPP-specific unit and I'm pretty sure there is no other ERT/SERT/SWT/yada-yada in the Province of Ontario that is designated as TRU.  Barrie's Police Service has cross-trained in the past with the OPP TRU Team out of Barrie, however that unit is no more, and that support is now out of Orrilia, and has been for a couple of years at least.

Attention to detail...


blake

Not to stir the pot but Halton police service refer to their team as a Tactical Rescue Unit or TRU team.  when it all comes down to it, arnt we really just arguing semantics at that point? ETF, TRU, SWAT, SERT... theyre all highly trained, skilled, Armed Tactical Response Units created to deal with high risk situations in which a regular patrol officer would not have the training, equiptment or abilities to deal with.

Taken from the halton police website: http://www.hrps.on.ca

The Halton Regional Police Tactical Rescue Unit (T.R.U.) was formed in 1980 to provide an additional level of support throughout the Service in areas such as hostage taking or rescue situations. The original Tactical Rescue Unit consisted of "part time" members who performed regular policing duties but were on call for tactical operations.

With the implementation of the Provincial Adequacy Standards in January 2001, T.R.U. became a full time unit. Team members participate in patrol functions and augment the District's staffing. Training is an integral part of the Tactical Rescue Unit. Specialized weaponry and skills allow for an effective response, using the minimum amount of force, to the following situations:

High-risk stronghold assaults - barricaded or otherwise.
High-risk prisoner escort/witness protection.
High-risk vehicle assaults.
High-risk arrests.
Injured person rescue.
Stealth entry into premises.
Crisis intervention first response - emotionally disturbed or persons in crisis.
The Halton Regional Police Tactical Rescue Unit also performs the following non-emergency support duties:

Containment of premises pending warrants, i.e. "Feeney".
Searches for missing persons.
Evidence searches.
Surveillance of premises.
Public speaking engagements.
Enforcement of federal, provincial and municipal statutes.
Assistance to Halton and Hamilton police canine officers when requested.
Patrolling in a proactive, reactive and crime preventative manner.
______________________________________________________________________________________

Now, to get back on topic...

I have a freind who is attached posted to the lincon & welland Regt. and the Coy he is with has TONS of niagra RP's in it. so there is alot of military/police cross training there. especially since one of the platoon officers is a Team Leader on one of the Tactical Teams. he was saying they do some pretty good training there...

cheers
    josh
 

mudgunner49

Full Member
Reaction score
0
Points
0
cpl t,

You are correct, it is semantics.  I was unaware of the fact that Halton called their containment/high risk/tactical team TRU, however when terminology is used incorrectly with identificatio of kit or TTP's (in this case wpns) it either  a. looks like the poster does not kow what they are talking about, or b. sets off the detector.

Please note that I never said that there was no other unit in the province called TRU, only that I was unaware of any and that Barrie's was called something else...


be safe - shoot first,

blake
 

Thompson_JM

Sr. Member
Reaction score
0
Points
0
I do agree with the importance of using proper terminology.

I didnt mean to imply that you said there was not another unit called TRU. I just felt that further clarification was in order.

Cheers.

    Josh

 

mudgunner49

Full Member
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Cpl Thompson said:
I do agree with the importance of using proper terminology.

I didnt mean to imply that you said there was not another unit called TRU. I just felt that further clarification was in order.

Cheers.

    Josh

We are reading from the same sheet of music...


be safe,

blake
 

Thompson_JM

Sr. Member
Reaction score
0
Points
0
God willing in a few years I'll be playing for the band.....

just need to pass that damned PATI..... stupid math...
 
Top