• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Unit Ghost's

Deadman's Pub, the Jr. Ranks Mess onboard HMCS DISCOVERY will be hosting our 2004 Waking up the Dead  :skull: party on Saturday 30 Oct 04 - members of lower mainland BC units may purchase tickets by contacting the PMC at DISCOVERY - check out the information on our site http://www.my-dy.com/dmp/halloween-2004d.pdf units which are interested in handling ticket sales to their members will may be able to receive discounted prices if more than 6 tickets are sold.  Last year we had 80+ people join us through the night and we hope to make this years bigger and better!

Jason S Eldridge
LS
PMC - Deadman's Pub
HMCS DISCOVERY

I'm glad to know that I don't have the only haunted Armoury in Canada. While a lot of the noises are just the moans and groans inherent in an old building (or, in our case, the sound of the underground river that flows beneath the basement), there are some happenings that have been reported repeatedly by multiple people.

Our Armoury has three separate occurences that are rather unnerving the first time you experience them - the most common is the "footsteps on the parade square". From the back of the building, you will hear the distinct sound of someone walking across the square - although investigation will reveal no one there. The second is the "coughing woman", heard near the front entrance. An odd one, as everyone reports the sound as being that of a woman coughing or clearing her throat. Again, there will be no one there.

But my favourite (and I've experienced it multiple times, as I am often alone in the building) is the sound heard only in the basement hallway - that of cadence being called on the square. That one is clear enough that I find myself walking in step automatically - but as you mount the stairs, the sound fades.

My Warrant scoffed at me when I first mentioned the hauntings, but a stint of overnight duty alone during Op Peregrine made a believer out of him.  It really creeps him out - but I figure that nothing has shown itself to be harmful, so I welcome the company.  ;)

The CGG Armoury in Montreal was reputed to be haunted by the ghost of an officer who came back from WW1 only to find that his wife was living with his best friend - and so he shot himself on the balcony outside the Officers' Mess.  I never saw him, but I certainly heard him walking up and down the balcony outside the Mess.  A MCpl who was studying Paranormal Whojackapivvies set up a motion sensitive camera for a couple of days while I was acting RSS - he caught a few unexplained blurs, but that is about it.

Aldous Huxley said it best...

anyone stay the night at the fort york armories? i did once and had to take a leak @ 2am so i started walking down that long hallway that leads back up stiars anyways as i was walkin i could feel that someone was watching me so i kept turning around and seein if anyone was there but i couldnt see anyone..the next morning i talked to some people and they said the same thing happend to them kinda scarey for my first paranormal experience

PPCLI Guy said:
Aldous Huxley said it best...

Don't keep us in suspense - which Huxley sentiment are you referring to? I suspect "The only completely consistent people are the dead", but he said a lot of things.

Some favourites:

"Several excuses are always less convincing than one."
"An intellectual is a person who has discovered something more interesting than sex."
"Experience teaches only the teachable."
"Ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you mad."
And, apropos your signature: "To his dog, every man is Napolean, hence the constant popularity of dogs."
;)

so said:
Don't keep us in suspense - which Huxley sentiment are you referring to? I suspect "The only completely consistent people are the dead", but he said a lot of things.

Wow.  I didn't expect to be called on that one...

Some favourites:

"Several excuses are always less convincing than one."
"An intellectual is a person who has discovered something more interesting than sex."
"Experience teaches only the teachable."
"Ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you mad."

All good ones - but I was referring to "percetion is reality" ie: if one thinks they saw a ghost, then a ghost it was...

And, apropos your signature: "To his dog, every man is Napolean, hence the constant popularity of dogs." ;)

Now that is brilliant!  However, I have trained my Golden Retriever to think of me as Clausewitz, and my German Shepard to think of me as Sun Tzu.  My cats (4 of them) simply refer to me as the "guy with the thumbs" (as in - Hey! You with the Thumbs!  Open the fricking door!), or "food guy".

PPCLI Guy said:
Now that is brilliant!  However, I have trained my Golden Retriever to think of me as Clausewitz, and my German Shepard to think of me as Sun Tzu.  My cats (4 of them) simply refer to me as the "guy with the thumbs" (as in - Hey! You with the Thumbs!  Open the fricking door!), or "food guy".

;D Which reminds me of another favourite; unattributed if I recall correctly: Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Apt topic to "resurrect" considering the subject matter.

I see what you mean by the silhouettes. Last Thursday night was really kind of creep, as there was no light in the staircase, only at the top landing and down by the Sgts mess.  Add to that the thunder and flashes of lightning we could see out the window....

kiltedtradesman said:
Danjanou

The creepiest thing about the stair between the Sgts and Jr Mess are the silhouettes painted on the walls.  A retired Jack painted those before he left back in the 90's and if you walk up the stairs in the dark, they follow you up the stairs.  However, when you are stumbling out of the mess at night, it looks like they are giving you the "Present Arms" on your way out.

:warstory: :warstory: :warstory: :salute: :warstory: :warstory: :warstory:

In the fall of 1974, I was stationed with a buddy of mine to CFB Chilliwack with the Trg Support Troop at CFOCS. As young fellows (we were both 18) we were pretty thick and decided to hitch hike to Vancouver on a Sunday as we'd been told that it was "close by" and it was a long weekend. We got some good rides and got there fairly quickly. We wandered around Vancouver for quite some time and got lost. We were pretty beat and dejected from our excursion and as it happened we came upon the Seaforth Armoury late at night. The main door was unlocked and we entered. We were met at the door by an NCO who was very friendly and sympathetic to our plight. He brought us up a set of stairs to what I remember to be a large room in (I think) a tower. It was full of nice cushy chairs and couches, a big fireplace with a mounted stag's head and a small bar. He told us that we could stay the night and that he'd left the back room unlocked for us in case we wanted a drink. Then he said goodnight and left us, closing the door behind him. In the small ante room, there was a 6 foot table with an assortment of bottles on it. We each picked one and had a seat and a drink. The fatigue and the rum made for a nice lights out. We awoke the next morning feeling well rested, found the washroom and headed out to find our way back to camp. When we got down to the main floor we were confronted by a Commissionaire who asked how we got into the building. We told him what happened and he told us not to lie as there was no one in the building overnight but him. This really creeped us out and we left the Commissionaire asking what really transpired and what our names were. It's been many years since then and the memory of it rekindled when I read this thread. Now my recollection of it may be pretty fuzzy after 30 years as it was the one and only time in my life I've ever been there, but it's a true story. I've always wondered who the guy was who helped out a couple of young soldiers in a jam?

Peter :salute:

In the spring of 1990, the Cornwall Armoury was the home to about 500 troops from the SD&G Highrs, 1 RCR, CH of O, 28 MP Pl  and other units of 2 CMBG.  All this was in response to unrest on the Akwesasne Mohawk Reserve.

I was Security Platoon WO and worked alongside about a dozen members of 2 MP Pl. Coming into work one morning, I was asked by the MP Duty Sgt why we had laid on an extra Commissionaire the night before.  I responded that we had only one on duty.  He argued that he had gotten up for a pee and saw a Commissionaire in the hallway of our Officer's Mess.  He then dropped by the duty centre and saw the "other" Commissionaire sitting in his customary spot.

I asked him to describe the Commissionaire and he described a man we Glens all knew very well who had passed away quite recently, apparently after suffering a heart attack in the Armoury.

The children of some of our officers have reported a similar sighting.

I have been in the Armoury in response to alarms and have found myself alone, late at night, after the police had left.  When I lock up, I always get the feeling that I'm leaving the building in good hands and I always say â Å“good nightâ ? to the old Commissionaire.

The Cambridge Armoury (Ontario) is haunted - well from my experience it is :).  The original home of the Highland Light Infantry (now home of the Royal Highland Fusiliers) it was built in 1914(1917?), rumour has it that a man was killed during the building of it but I can't confirm that.  From 1987 to about 1993 I was the head steward for the Officers mess, also the treasurer for the JR's.  Many a night after a mess function I would just stay upstairs in the lounge on one of the couches in front of the fireplace instead of driving home.  The Officer's and Sr NCO messes are upstairs, the Officer's mess spans the font of the building.  On more than one occasion I heard distinct footsteps (good old hardwood floors) walking from the balcony (which overlooks the parade square) to the Sr NCO mess and then into the kitchen which was right beside the Officer's mess lounge and then back to the mess again.  It never really bothered me as I always figured it was an old soldier. 

One night after serving the Buron Dinner (8 Jul - Battle of Buron for you history buffs) I was the last one there, just cleaning up behind the bar, was intending to sleep on the couch as usual...all of a sudden I heard music and laughter coming from the Sr NCO mess (bar side - the lounge is across the hall).  Seemed like a good ole party going on, didn't think there was anything else going on that night but you never know sometimes Sr NCO's would come in "after the bar" and carry on the party.  As I got closer to the Officer mess door, intending to open it and go next door to see what was up and maybe join in - I could hear "Good night Irene" as clear as day..if you're not old enough that song came out in 1950, apparently the Sgt's mess was the place to go on a Friday night back then.  I opened the door and nothing, all quiet - that one gave me goosebumps!  I made a hasty retreat to my couch and stayed there til morning.

Not to make it sound like I lived in the armoury..though it seemed like it sometimes.  In the basement (where the JR's is) you could sometimes hear people bowling, yup bowling...the ranks used to have a bowling alley down there, only two lanes but you can (could) still see the gutters.  I heard it the first time when I was a cadet (the army cadet stores used to be down there), didn't find out about the bowling ally until I joined the unit two years later.  Maybe RoyalHighlandFusilier could confirm if he's heard anything.

It's unfortunate that due to the new fire regulations etc that much of the old character of the building has been ruined by metal fire doors etc, the old hardwood floor in the main hall was ripped out.  But I still miss the place.  :salute:

The Royal Westminster Regiment Armouries has a ghost. One night while doing overnight security I heard footsteps on the parade square. I was alone in the building. I must of checked the entire armouries 3 or 4 times and came to the conclusion that I was indeed alone. Every time I went into the basement I could hear footsteps on the parade square. Eventually I had enough of it. I stood in the middle of the parade square and shouted as loud as I could "Do you have nothing better to do than keep me awake?!?!? @#$!%&* Stop this @#$% NOW!!!"

Sure enough the footsteps stopped although I was a bit shaken up and unable to get any rack that night.

I haven't look in here for ages,after reading all,there is one common thing.they are looking after us in their own way.

C.S.M. Gill is still with 6Fd.

I have never explained how I know.Some one in the Unit brought in those who have the gift? for free,there was only the two of them,C.S.M. Gill gave him some stick,through the her.She   tried to send him on but no,what he does every night is Orderly Sgt/Maj..

I know of only one incidence of actual so called poltergeist action,it was a Engineer with his Unit sleeping over on a combined Ex with 6Fd and this person was pushed off the couch where he was sleeping and a few other things and this person is a Reg.

Of late my brother has told me his stories of the Unit before he joinedt he Reg.'s and became a Zipper head.

http://www.torontoghosts.org/oldfy.htm
I'm a bit of a Ghost buff, there are tonnes of great huantings in the GTA. Fort York has a lot of stories lots of them from the overnight campers. The Toronto Ghosts and Haunting site listed above has a lot of certified huanted sites so if your into ghost hunting have a good time.
Cheers 

I can remember some odd night shifts in the Base Hospital in Calgary back in the early/mid 90's.  I remember one night my partner and I heard some loud footfalls in the building after we did security rounds to which we found no explanation.  I've had other friends that were rudely awakened on night shifts while they were dozing, again by unseen footsteps.  Don't recall anybody ever seeing anything, just hearing or "feeling" something/one.  Who knows - maybe a patient from days gone by making sure we were awake or something...  I also had a really rude shock one night in the hospital in Kingston - I got called in to do a security check one night.  I didn't actually hear or see anything, but I walked into what felt like an icy blast of air (it was summer and we had ZERO A/C on that floor) - all my hair stood on end and I made Ben Johnson look like a snail getting out of there.  That floor originally the Surgical floor and at that time was the old ARC.  Anyone else have any visitiations there?

MM

When I was in the res I spent just about every summer(89-94) at CFS Aldershot and heard there was a ghost up by the officers mess(the old one) near range control.I really never gave it much thought till one day I was heading back out to the field to re-join my demo plt after retrieving some forgotten stores*beer*.when passing by the mess,which was locked tight,hadnt been used in years and was scheduled to be torn down I happened to glance over and staring out the window was the palest face I had ever seen.When I was getting clearence with range control to go out to the trng area I mentioned that someone was in the old officers mess,well the mps were summoned and the building was checked,all the locks and windows were in place but to be sure they went inside and nobody was there,as a matter of fact the dust was so thick that if somebody had to have been it would have been impossible to hide the footprints.I thought maybe I saw a reflection or something but the mp told me that the mess was indeed haunted and I wasnt the first person to see the ghost,I forgot the history of who it was supposed to be but it was damn creepy.

I never saw evidence nor heard and footsteps, but while I was on my Battle School at WATC Wainwright, I had heard from several different people that there is supposedly a German Officer that has been seen wandering around in the old Quanson huts.  Apparently Wainwright was a German POW Camp during WWII, and this particular officer felt compelled to stay after he departed this world......... (After you're dead, you could go haunt any place in the world.................... why in the he** would you pick WAINWRIGHT?  ;D)

Back