• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Uniforms at CMR

Container said:
You didnt quote that or attribute that to anyone. I honestly believed you wrote that about yourself being in a unit.

Your avatar and post led me to believe you wrote and believed those things about your own service....of which you have none.

It was meant for NFLD Sapper, and since he posted the link, I assumed he read it.

SIROEW said:
It was meant for NFLD Sapper, and since he posted the link, I assumed he read it.

But did you read it and understand it. Particularly the part after the segment you underlined, explaining why people don't like it.  To earn the right to wear the Engineer Cap Badge is not easy, you have to go through a lot of training before you are presented with it.  Not everyone that tries out succeeds, so the one that do are justifiably proud of earning the right to wear it.

SIROEW said:
When I mentioned your age, I meant that most grown men don't normally go out and seek internet debates over trivial matters (such as an avatar). Once again, choose your battles.

I take it that you are somewhere between 16 and 19

In the interest of full disclosure, I am 50 years old, and so what follows may be considered by some to be youth-bashing.

As near as I can tell from your posts, you are not yet in the military - although I grant that you may be at RMC or CMR, which is kind of like being in the military.

Again, in the interest of full disclosure, I have been in uniform for 33 years, 25 of them in the Regular Force, and so what follows may be considered by some as civvie or newbie bashing.

So, with that preamble, you are completely off-base on this one.  I have worn four capbadges in my career (the cornflake for 6 weeks and the Infantry one for a scant 4 months), and I have served in three other Regiments (where I was not granted the privilege of wearing the capbadge, irrespective of the positions I may have held).  Trust me when I tell you that the capbadge is a symbol of one's earned membership in a very discerning fellowship of fellow soldiers. It is not an honour that one can bestow upon themselves - rather it is offered to you once you earn it.

As such, I think that you are actually dishonouring Sappers everywhere by assuming a membership that you have not earned.

As to ageism, you had better get used to be told the hard truth by people substantially older (and more experienced) than you if you are thinking of pursuing a career in the military.

Just a thought.

SIROEW I can see that your time here on the site and most liely in the CF will be both long and rewarding.  ::)

That young one was sarcasm one of several aspects of military life you apparently have yet to grasp. You have been asked nicely to do something I would seriously suggest you do it or it wil be done for you.

JM in answer to your question simple I've been to RR there would be no need for fleece toques there. No need means no dress regs controversy, therefore no reason whatever to reactivate the place.

The original question about CADPAT in town led to a discussion of which uniforms are worn at which college in town, which led to an entertaining exchange on cap badges.

To the OP: At RMC, when we go into town during business hours (0800-1630 usually), we do so in dress of the day, which is, as has been mentioned, 5's (day to day college uniform- white shirt, black pants) for Mon/Tues/Thurs/Fri, and CADPAT/NCD on Wednesday.  So, if you want to walk around town in combats, you do so during business hours of a working day. 

The rest has been said but I will summarize: 1st years are required to wear 4's (the navy blue uniform) into town for the duration of their first year when they go into town after duty hours.

jwtg said:
The rest has been said but I will summarize: 1st years are required to wear 4's (the navy blue uniform) into town for the duration of their first year when they go into town after duty hours.

Having never gone to RMC, but having been in Kingston for a long time, I have seen this on many occasions.  My question is, do they have an authorized warm jacket they can wear with the 4s?  Last night when I left work at 2100, with a temp of a balmy -20ish, I saw a Cadet crossing the causeway without any sort of overcoat/winter coat.

Building on the post by 211RadOp, I have a greatcoat that I purchased from a surplus store in approximately 2001.  I don't have it with me for specifics, but its tag indicates that it was issued by CMR, and it even has someone's name and last three written on it (largely illegible now).  The coat is dark grey fabric, with two columns of four "brass" buttons on the front, and three "brass" buttons in a horizontal line on the back.  Can anyone tell me during what years this item was issued?  My Google-fu has failed.  Thanks.

211RadOp said:
Having never gone to RMC, but having been in Kingston for a long time, I have seen this on many occasions.  My question is, do they have an authorized warm jacket they can wear with the 4s?  Last night when I left work at 2100, with a temp of a balmy -20ish, I saw a Cadet crossing the causeway without any sort of overcoat/winter coat.
RMC Cadets are issued a gabardine along with their 4's, as well as a garbage bag rain jacket, so there is no need for them to be unprotected from the elements.

That being said, not all of them take advantage of the gear they're issued, so if you see an RMC cadet freezing in the middle of the winter, the cause is probably that they refuse to wear the appropriate issued gear. 

Yes, this conversation did end a few months ago, but it never hurts to throw in some pertinent information.

For anyone who is interested in the different uniforms at RMC, follow these four steps:

1) http://www.forces.ca/interactive/rmc/kingston/index.html
2) English (or French)
3) Leadership
4) Uniforms

Enjoy!

Back