• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Uniforms at CMR

JRack said:
It could be partly due to the fact that the town of Saint-Jean is not very welcoming to the military. There have been a multitude of cases over the years of conflicts between the locals and the CMR cadets and recruits at CFB Saint-Jean.

I was going to post earlier, that I bet that was the reason.  Same thing happened in Cornwallis back in the day but they never changed the walking out dress because of it.

PMedMoe said:
Why the double standard?

As previously mentioned, I think it has more to do with the people in charge.  Much the same as one base will allow fleece toques and another will not.

Strike said:
As previously mentioned, I think it has more to do with the people in charge.  Much the same as one base will allow fleece toques and another will not.

I suppose.  I guess rules are rules, regardless of how stupid they are.  Just my  :2c: but I believe both schools should be held to the same standard.  but then again, I remember the different end results (of recruits) when basic was done in Cornwallis and Saint-Jean....

So what is RMC ( and CMR's too) policy on fleece toques then?  :stirpot:

Danjanou said:
So what is RMC ( and CMR's too) policy on fleece toques then?  :stirpot:
Hey, if you're going to stir the pot, ask why we need two separate MilCols, and why wasn't Royal Roads brought back from the dead.

:pop:

Journeyman said:
Why we need two separate MilCols.

"We are restoring this college to what it was before and giving francophones their place in the military." (para #5)

"It will be easier to attract future francophone officers." (para #18)

http://www.canada.com/montrealgazette/news/story.html?id=9f2d534a-e885-429f-9f49-a61f8b361306&k=9824%20'

Thank you Captain Obvious.    ::)

Since you were so effective with that one, how about "why would someone use a Military Engineer crest as their avatar when they're not even qualified to wear a CF cornflake"?  I know if I was an Engineer, I might be a little miffed that someone was trying to pass themselves off as a fellow Thumperhead.

I'm sorry, but where exactly did I write that I was an Engineer...

Wow.  Short too.....'cause that was clearly over your head.  :not-again:

There's a tradition......(damn, too many syllables)....thing here, that one does not use a badge (branch, corps, skill, etc) that one is not entitled to wear -- it smacks of being a Walt....a poser.....a teller of untruths....

Damn you're witty...

I'm not too sure if you knew this, but the words tradition and policy are definitely not synonyms.

And there was no need to change the topic of the thread to start an argument with someone who is practically a third of your age. Choose your battles.

SIROEW said:
The students in prep year are all from Quebec, but a large number of first year university students there have English as their primary language.

Not true. There were a number of prep years while I was there that were from other provinces.

As for why one college has to wear a uniform in first year and the other does not... I believes it comes down to tradition for RMC. As for CMRSJ, I agree that it would not be wise for the cadets there to wear a uniform at all times when leaving the campus.

I'd be curious to know if the first years had to wear a uniform outside of the campus back before they closed CMRSJ (pre-1995).

SIROEW said:
And there was no need to change the topic of the thread to start an argument with someone who is practically a third of your age. Choose your battles.
Age? Really?  ::)

If you feel you're being unfairly treated here, outside of your Recruiting threads, the Report to Mod button is to the lower right.

SIROEW said:
Damn you're witty...

I'm not too sure if you knew this, but the words tradition and policy are definitely not synonyms.

But they are also not antonyms.  Both tradition (whether written or oral, official or unofficial) and policy (usually written and officially sanctioned) can be equally mandatory and enforceable.  If you should ever have the opportunity to serve in the CF, you will find that some traditions are held in higher regard, more widely accepted and enforced more strenuously than some officially written policies.  But that may be neither here nor there since this site is not officially associated with DND or CF.  However it does have a thread of written guidelines including one post that suggests the exact behaviour for which JM chided you for not following.

You are a child youth young man (?) who aspires to a career in the military and it is likely that you have come to this site to seek guidance on how to accomplish that goal as well as gain some insight into how soldiers think and act (role modeling).  Well, tradition is often very important to most soldiers (even those of us who have hung up the uniform, it maybe even more important to us) and they don't take kindly to upstarts who think they can use the badges and devices that we hold in some esteem as they please.  Adopting a childish reaction to a legitimate suggestion is not the approach to take, especially if you want adults to take you seriously.

SIROEW said:
Damn you're witty...

Regardless, please consider this a polite request, from somebody almost his age, to change your avatar until you have earned that badge.

When I mentioned your age, I meant that most grown men don't normally go out and seek internet debates over trivial matters (such as an avatar). Once again, choose your battles.

SIROEW said:
When I mentioned your age, I meant that most grown men don't normally go out and seek internet debates over trivial matters (such as an avatar). Once again, choose your battles.

I sweated and bled under that hat badge for nearly 24 years, I don't find it a trivial thing in the least.  It was a proud day when I put it up, and one of the saddest of my life when I took it down.

SIROEW said:

Hey junior I highly suggest you go on listen silence for awhile....

You may also want to read this post Milnet.ca Conduct Guidelines: MUST READ especially the part which deals with regimental avatars and the like.....

MILNET.CA MENTOR

NFLD Sapper said:
Hey junior I highly suggest you go on listen silence for awhile....

You may also want to read this post Milnet.ca Conduct Guidelines: MUST READ especially the part which deals with regimental avatars and the like.....

MILNET.CA MENTOR

Regimental Avatars-Before you use a regiment/units capbadge as an avatar give it some thought.
Yes it's an unofficial site. You could put the PPCLI, RCR, 82nd airborne, SAS, JTF, some reserve regiment avatar up as your own. Theres no rule saying you can't. If your not in that specific regiment your probably going to take flak from people who are. It's just a picture yes but some people work VERY hard to get to where they are and might not like you using it (Which will lead 99% of the people to believe your actually IN that regiment) Who really cares? Well if you want to join the RCRs and you have some questions about the regiment BUT you pissed off the guys currently serving with them where are you going to be? You might not get the answers your looking for. Personally I'm not going to be a jerk to someone using my regiments capbadge as an avatar but I won't be all buddy buddy with them either.  I don't like the idea of someone not in my regiment using the avatar because if they are a jerk, act like an idiot or start posting stupid and wrong information, it will make MY regiment look bad.

You didnt quote that or attribute that to anyone. I honestly believed you wrote that about yourself being in a unit.

Your avatar and post led me to believe you wrote and believed those things about your own service....of which you have none.

SIROEW said:
Regimental Avatars-Before you use a regiment/units capbadge as an avatar give it some thought.
Yes it's an unofficial site. You could put the PPCLI, RCR, 82nd airborne, SAS, JTF, some reserve regiment avatar up as your own. Theres no rule saying you can't. If your not in that specific regiment your probably going to take flak from people who are. It's just a picture yes but some people work VERY hard to get to where they are and might not like you using it (Which will lead 99% of the people to believe your actually IN that regiment) Who really cares? Well if you want to join the RCRs and you have some questions about the regiment BUT you pissed off the guys currently serving with them where are you going to be? You might not get the answers your looking for. Personally I'm not going to be a jerk to someone using my regiments capbadge as an avatar but I won't be all buddy buddy with them either.  I don't like the idea of someone not in my regiment using the avatar because if they are a jerk, act like an idiot or start posting stupid and wrong information, it will make MY regiment look bad.

Back