• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Unemployed during Recruiting

SK

Inactive
Reaction score
A quick rundown of my current situation,

I graduated University in April 09 and began looking for civy positions/volunteer opportunities with no luck.  In May '10, after long consideration, I put in my application with the CF and was merit listed in August '10.  I was told at the CFRC that I had an outside shot of being called to the next NOAB (applied for MARS) so I was not actively searching for employment to tie me over. 

However, in September '10 I was given the opportunity to interview for a volunteer position which I had been interested in since graduating University.  The volunteer position needed a 6 month commitment and since I had not been called to the NOAB, i figured i would have at least 6 months before I would be off to basic (that is if I am indeed hired, of course).  I didn't hear back for this volunteer opportunity until last week, and since I can't make the 6 month commitment as I'm hoping to receive an offer from the CF by then, I declined the position for the time being.  Now I know I am not guaranteed a position within the next 6 months, however with the new fiscal year falling into that window and the CF processing MARS applications now, I felt like I needed to roll the dice.

My issue is that I am going to have a huge gap between when I finished school (April 09), when i finished at my last job (March 09) and when I go to the NOAB.  I did well on my interview, and was told that my only knock was that I had a pretty long gap in my employment history.  I'm thinking that maybe it would have been better to put my application on hold, finish 6 months volunteering, and then resume my application.  I feel like I did well on my CFAT, Medical and interview and in the mean time I've been staying in shape and brushing up on some french my only concern thus far is how this gap of unemployment is going to look.

So my question is will this be a big issue on whether I'm given a position as a DEO applicant? If it makes any difference, my credit history is good and I have no outstanding debts . 

Explain the situation and articulate the decisions you've made. Given the state of flux that the recruiting system and intake are in, none of what you've said sounds particularly damning.

A recent university graduate who can't get good work? Say it ain't so!  ;D

I would think it would depend on what you do with the time that you're unemployed.  As long as it's constructive,you should have no problems.  How about looking for a term job?  Any job?  There's no shame in working in retail of fast food in the interim.  How about taking some courses (e.g. French) or perhaps a less demanding volunteer position?  Just show folks that you're not sitting around playing video games and consuming junk food.

Thanks for the replies guys.

I was looking for seasonal work and handed out about 20 resumes at retail locations before Christmas but nothing panned out.  Also I did a pimsleur french program independantly which was about 45 hours and a good refresher for the time being.

The volunteer position that I turned down is in a  competitive field and would have looked great on a resume which is why I'm somewhat concerned about not accepting it.  Ironically, this long lay off has been great in the sense that it's given me time to evaluate how committed I am to a career in the Canadian Forces.

What was the volunteer field?? Volunteerism is great...and even though you turned down your last opportunity, I could still recommend searching other opportunities such as: literacy tutor at a local school, helping out at a retirment home, Community=Care organizations. As for the employment bit, we are just getting over an economic down turn...jobs are scarce...the recruiters are human and understand that.

SK said:
Thanks for the replies guys.

I was looking for seasonal work and handed out about 20 resumes at retail locations before Christmas but nothing panned out.  Also I did a pimsleur french program independantly which was about 45 hours and a good refresher for the time being.

The volunteer position that I turned down is in a  competitive field and would have looked great on a resume which is why I'm somewhat concerned about not accepting it.  Ironically, this long lay off has been great in the sense that it's given me time to evaluate how committed I am to a career in the Canadian Forces.
I'd suggest applying more.

I don't know how you managed to live with no income for that long, but you did, so I'd just explain in which ways you improved yourself and your application during that time. And get a job, any job at all, to do you over until you may get accepted for the CF.

jcan said:
What was the volunteer field?? Volunteerism is great...and even though you turned down your last opportunity, I could still recommend searching other opportunities such as: literacy tutor at a local school, helping out at a retirment home, Community=Care organizations. As for the employment bit, we are just getting over an economic down turn...jobs are scarce...the recruiters are human and understand that.

jcan,

I want you to read a little more and post a little less. You come off sounding like a SME on the recruiting process, and given that you are not anywhere near being in yet, when you are not. You've also been rung up in a couple of other threads for attitude and posting habits. Another thing I have noticed being complained about: the ninja edits. That is one of the single most maddening thing that people can do here, IMO. They say something stupid and instead of owning up to it  when called out they edit the offending portion of the post out and make the person who called them on it look like a tool. Too bad there have been others LONG before you do it, get caught and go down in flames for it. Enough.

Sometimes new people to the site have this happen to them and, in my experience, things go one of two ways:
1) the person levels out after a bit of cautioning and becomes a valued poster with some experience and A LOT of reading first.
2) the person flames out, trolls and is eventually banned for being a twit/not listening/being an admin burden

Think about it

Scott
Army.ca Staff

Speaking of being unemployed; I made some recent mistakes in the recruiting process that I somewhat regret and thought it would be good to share.

Upon a successful completion of my NOAB and pending BMOQ course, I discussed breaking the news to management with my co-worker. I gave it a green light as I am quite loyal to the company and felt it the right thing to do. I work for a fairly large professional company that is pretty tight knit, so my departure spread through the office pretty quick. Not to mention the fire hall and the cadet unit at which I am the DCO.

This would have all been fine had I started BMOQ last week. Now waiting for the new fiscal year and hoping that I can squeak on to the summer BMOQ, which will be jam packed with ROTP candidates. Luckily for me, my company will keep me on till I go, but I could have been on the unemployment line pretty quick. Especially since there is a contractor sitting in the side line waiting to grab my full-time position.

I guess the only issue is that CF could have offered me a BMOQ spot right up to the wire and I wanted to be able to say yes! One guy from our NOAB was offered a spot a week before the start date. Still not sure if I made the right decision, but it is something to contemplate for those currently employed.  I am already being passed up on training, left out of the decision making process, and did not receive a raise at my annual performance review. And who knows how much longer I will be waiting. Not to mention that I have not received an offer letter and could be cut all together if a budget cut came along.

CDN Aviator said:
The issue is not the CF............

Out of context...

I guess the only issue is that CF could have offered me a BMOQ spot right up to the wire and I wanted to be able to say yes!

I'm not blaming my problems on the CF, but stating reality to other hopeful applicants that you may have to give notice without the insurance of employment.

I think you were looking for me to say, "the CF screwed me and now I don't have a job!"

Moral of the story; I was lucky, learn from my experience.

Back