• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

UK Defence Command Paper 2023

Kirkhill

Fair Scunnert WASP.
Subscriber
Donor
Reaction score

Lots of interesting stuff. Global ambitions. Friends all over the place.

Canada's name comes up once - as a member of the Five Eyes community.

I'm reminded of a bit of naval doggerel that I picked up along the way.

To paraphrase - Canada ain't there. Canada won't bear. Canada don't care.

1689741440696.png

NATO should publicly embarass his highness by changing command of the Latavian group of forces. When that doesn't work, remove all Cdn senior officers from NATO collective defence organizations.

NATO should publicly embarass his highness by changing command of the Latavian group of forces. When that doesn't work, remove all Cdn senior officers from NATO collective defence organizations.
He doesn't care about that. He cares about the post-national future and control.

The irony is palpable ;)

Canada helped make NATO a political forum. Now it struggles with its own creation​

Lester B. Pearson is most likely spinning in his grave this week

On the plus side:

1. The matter is being discussed by the CBC.

2. Even the government friendly voices are struggling:

Steve Saideman, one of the country's leading experts on NATO at Carleton University in Ottawa, has long complained the two per cent is "BS metric"

"There's a challenge that Canada likes to have an outsized vision of itself as having all these great values, and being a really well-loved country in the world, but that doesn't buy a whole lot if you don't show up, if you don't show up with stuff, with a plan, with purpose," said Saideman

"And I think one of the challenges in Ottawa is that the folks in government are mostly aiming at trying to maintain things as they are, they're not thinking too far down the road."

Well he did end up committing to 2% at the closed door part of the summit.
There seems to be some confusion down here on when Canada is going to make it, various sources suggest that it was between 2025-2027.

I suspect he will retire prior, and the ‘blame’ will fall on the next PM.

Back