• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

U.S. Politics 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does that just leave Ivanka and Jared from the original crew?

Wonder how much longer Kelly, McMaster and Tillotson will be there?

In spite of everything, doesn't seem likely Sessions will quit, or get fired. But, who knows?

Kelly-Anne seems like a survivor.

The Mooch has been trashing Gen. Kelly lately. Maybe he wants his old job back?

Stay tuned for the next episode.  :)

Interesting report on recent Senate Intelligence Committee hearing about security clearances. Specifically re Jared Kushner:

The U.S. official in charge of the federal agency which processes most of the U.S. government’s security clearances indicated Wednesday that he would find it hard to approve a security clearance for President Trump’s son-in-law, Jared Kushner.

"I would have a hard time overcoming that,” said Charlie Phalen, director of the National Background Investigation Bureau (NBIB), at a hearing of the Senate Select Committee on Intelligence on Wednesday, when asked by Sen. Ron Wyden, D-Oregon, if “someone who fails to disclose financial entanglements with foreign adversaries” would be eligible for a security clearance.

. . .

Sen. Kamala Harris, D-California, then followed, “What are individuals most commonly blackmailed for?”

Phalen, a 30-year veteran of the CIA and FBI where he held security office positions, said, rather than blackmail, it was more “common” that individuals who entangle themselves financially “make bad life decisions...They simply make the decision, ‘My personal life is worth more than my country.’”

In late February, The Washington Post reported that the former billionaire businessman’s complex overseas investments and loans had made him a target for manipulation, so much so that officials from more than four countries reportedly spoke about ways to exploit Kushner’s perceived vulnerability.

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/top-official-hard-time-jared-kushner-security-clearance/story?id=53590765

:cheers:

In the "Only in Texas" department, Texas judge ordered electric shocks to silence man on trial.

In Tarrant County, Tex., defendants are sometimes strapped with a stun belt around their legs. The devices are used to deliver a shock in the event the person gets violent or attempts to escape.

But in the case of Terry Lee Morris, the device was used as punishment for refusing to answer a judge’s questions properly...

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2018/03/07/barbarism-texas-judge-ordered-electric-shocks-to-man-during-trial-conviction-thrown-out/?utm_term=.00a46f4c72d4

Trump Charges His Campaign Top Dollar To Rent A Basically Empty Trump Tower Office
His tiny re-election effort spent more on its monthly rent there than his campaign paid for most of the 2016 run.

WASHINGTON ― President Donald Trump’s re-election campaign last year spent over a half-million dollars for Trump Tower offices ― a choice that put donors’ money into the president’s pocket, but provided workspace for at most a handful of staff.

. . .

And while it is unclear why Trump’s re-election campaign has rented so much room for so few people, its decision to do so has helped fill office space that appears to have become much more difficult to rent out since Trump won the presidency.

. . .

One Republican consultant close to the White House who is familiar with the office and its workload laughed when asked about the expense.

“There’s nobody there. It’s like two guys,” the consultant said on the condition of anonymity to avoid angering the leader of his party. “There is no campaign. There is no operation. It’s just a joke.”

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/trump-tower-re-election-campaign_us_5aa01b31e4b002df2c60159b

:cheers:

So did Trump put a woman into the CIA directors position (a first) just to virtue signal or because he rewards skill and intelligence?

Do you believe the decision was a simple binary equation with those two variables being mutually exclusive and the only factors?

Jarnhamar said:
So did Trump put a woman into the CIA directors position (a first) just to virtue signal or because he rewards skill and intelligence?
:rofl:    Oh.... you were serious.  :-[

Haspel is a career Intelligence officer with counter-terror experience, who's not shy about torture enhanced interrogation techniques. 

Pompeo was just another political hack appointed by Trump because he was a Republican National Committee rep who unquestioningly supported Trump --- much like his role as CIA Director whenever Jeff Dunham, er Trump, told him to speak.  He brings zero international relations experience.

The American empire's decline will only accelerate.  :facepalm:

And Tillerson is out...

http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/trump-tillerson-fired-secretary-state-mike-pompeo-1.4573854

Jarnhamar said:
I really have no idea.

What other possibilities could their be?
As just one option, maybe trump rewards obedience and yes-men?  There are many possibilities behind his decision, and I would feel safe guessing that no one possibility is mutually exclusive of every other possibile reason.

I find that the POTUS position has become a long running joke......just a walking disaster, but if that's what they want, have at it...

Jarnhamar said:
Well I'm not now that you laughed at me ;D
Noooo..... today isn't sensitive day, is it?  ;)

( I thought that was last night with my daughter-in-law..... but that's a separate train-wreck  :not-again: )

Edit: Deleted comment because it was mean, picking on the handicapped, and all

GAP said:
I find that the POTUS position has become a long running joke......just a walking disaster, but if that's what they want, have at it...
Mind you many people without media access felt the same way about the previous POTUS.

The Associated Press
@AP
BREAKING: Officials: White House fires top Tillerson aide who contradicted account of secretary of state's dismissal.

Gong show. Complete gong show.

Colin P said:
Mind you many people without media access felt the same way about the previous POTUS.

March 7, 2018

Trump Gets Most Votes As Worst President Since WWII, Quinnipiac University National Poll Finds; Reagan, Obama Top Trump 4-1 As Best President
https://poll.qu.edu/national/release-detail?ReleaseID=2526
"In 73 years, 13 men have governed from behind the Resolute Desk in the Oval Office and none of them have done so with less admiration from the American people."

END QUOTE

The trouble with those statements though MM, is that you can find just as many polls that state the opposite. You have to see the questions to determine the gist and direction the pollster wants to go with the results. A polls questions are designed, phrased and located in the poll, to achieve the outcome you wanted. The respondents are normally chosen by a set of criteria that is favourable to the pollster's direction. It's why some certain polling firms consistently show the liberals massive points ahead of anyone else, even now when their numbers are in the dumper.

The reason why Hillary lost is those weak-ass white women.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l9NB-vrx9BM

Women are to blame for the Donald.

Jarnhamar said:
The reason why Hillary lost is those weak-ass white women.

The election was in 2016. Why keep going on about Hillary Clinton?

And if you do want to, she got almost 3 million more votes than he did.  :)

Let the Special Prosecutor complete his investigation into "any links and/or coordination between the Russian government and individuals associated with the campaign of President Donald Trump, and any matters that arose or may arise directly from the investigation."

Until then, we can only speculate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back