• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

U.S. Politics 2017 (split fm US Election: 2016)

Status
Not open for further replies.
This alleged "wiretapping" scandal is likely to create a greater-than-usual ratio of heat-to-light because the nature of FISA surveillance requests is such that the requests and the results of surveillance aren't supposed to be disclosed.  Keep in mind that even the reasons for the two requests are subject to a lot of informed (and under-informed) guessing.

But one reason it isn't going away quickly is that the denials are extremely narrowly worded.

BBC

6 March, 2017

Echoes of Watergate resurface as Trump-Russia links probed
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-39151803
The row over the US attorney general's denial that he met a Russian official when he had in fact done so is leading to comparisons with the most notorious political scandal in US history - Watergate.

mariomike said:
BBC

6 March, 2017

Echoes of Watergate resurface as Trump-Russia links probed
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-39151803
The row over the US attorney general's denial that he met a Russian official when he had in fact done so is leading to comparisons with the most notorious political scandal in US history - Watergate.

Don't you just love how the left thinking press jumps at the chance to drive by smear a sitting Republican President. I'm sorry but I just don't buy in to the Media Bully lines and the rigged Democrat game that is currently being pushed. I don't think I am alone in this opinion as the majority of US voters seem to think in a similar way.

I have not been a fan of President Trump but the more of this shady BS tends to rise up from the Elite swamp, the more I have zero trust in the so called Mainstream Media.

So ..., my BS antennae have been overloaded.  Right now, my forward direction is stuck on GO TRUMP. Keep sticking it to those Left Leaning fools at every opportunity.

Oldgateboatdriver said:
As a matter of fact (see what I did here!), you picked the wrong example here, Chris.

Been a lawyer for 30 years, and funny enough, I never wondered why there were two lawyers (at the very least - I've seen teams of 10 lawyers per side  ;D) at every trial: I have always known.

And it has nothing to do with "facts always being in dispute". Actually, Chris, it is a rare thing before the courts to have a dispute over the facts. You some times have disputes over a limited sub-set of the facts, and funny enough, it usually occurs over facts that were not witnessed directly and therefore require proof by way of presumption (i.e. nobody saw what happened but here are other facts that will let you make an educated and reasonably likely guess as to what happened, judge)  or by way of expert opinion testimony.

In fact, when we step in that court, Chris:

(1) in a criminal case, we have on hand on both sides all(or just about - the defence can have some up its sleeve) of the potential evidence that will be adduced at the trial and the only role of the lawyers are to present to the court the facts that are required for the applicable law to prove the breach, by the prosecutor, and to put the ones that may cause a reasonable doubt for the defence - but each single fact in and of itself usually established between the parties - and both sides are there to ensure that no witness, as much as possible, lies to the court.

(2) In a civil/commercial case, it's even more straight forward where facts are concerned. Through discoveries and examinations out-of-court, about 90-95% of the facts are known in advance of trial (each sides has about 75% of the facts known to it before we start exchanging info - by the end, 90-95% is then known to both; the last 5-10% somehow never seems to come out, loses in memory, lost documents, misplaced parts, etc.) and in most cases, about 80% of the facts are simply commonly accepted between the parties. In most trials (at least where professional law firms are concerned) a large portion of the facts are admitted by the parties right of the bat and the court doesn't have to hear them (which may be what confused you that the facts in court are all contested - as in many cases, only the few remaining contested facts are the object of the trial and would leave an observer thinking that all the facts are in dispute). In my career, you would be amazed at the number of trials I have fought where we filed a joint statement of the facts with the court and then fought over the applicable law or contract interpretation only.

So, no, facts are not always in dispute. In reality, facts are rarely in dispute. And as far as I am concerned, that holds true for real life. Opinions? Now that is a different matter altogether, and if you start from a personally biased viewpoint, the resulting opinion is even worse and usually that much further from the truth. And there is truth - a single one - that has to be found but can be determined objectively.

There are no "alternative facts" out there. Sorry all!

P.s.: I will, of course not dispute the old legal saying: "If you can't beat them on the facts, beat them on the law; if you can't beat them on the law, beat them on the facts; if you can't beat them on either, confuse the hell out of the case and hope the judge becomes mistaken in your favour".  ;D 

I was aware that you're a lawyer.

I stipulate your assertions as facts in evidence.  But that would suggest that opinions matter.

First of all you said that facts are rarely in dispute - after both sides have agreed on which facts are relevant and which facts are permitted - both matters of opinion. And then, once the facts have been agreed there surely becomes an issue of weighting the facts and determining their impact on the matter at hand.

And, once we have agreed on a narrative, again a matter of opinion, there is the matter of opinion as to which laws are relevant and how they are to be understood.

You offer facts.  I offer an alternative. 

I am not a lawyer.  I am someone who has spent his life arguing numbers with people.  I am fully cognizant of the role assumptions make in drawing any conclusions.  As a friend, fellow scientist and employee of the US Government once said:"What number do you want? I can prove any one you need."  And he is absolutely correct,  by adjusting the assumptions, the "facts", then the outcome changes.

I have never met a number that cannot be challenged once you get past 2+2=4 and Pi (which is irrational in any event).

[cheers]

Chris Pook said:
I was aware that you're a lawyer.

I stipulate your assertions as facts in evidence.  But that would suggest that opinions matter.

First of all you said that facts are rarely in dispute - after both sides have agreed on which facts are relevant and which facts are permitted - both matters of opinion. And then, once the facts have been agreed there surely becomes an issue of weighting the facts and determining their impact on the matter at hand.

And, once we have agreed on a narrative, again a matter of opinion, there is the matter of opinion as to which laws are relevant and how they are to be understood.

You offer facts.  I offer an alternative. 

I am not a lawyer.  I am someone who has spent his life arguing numbers with people.  I am fully cognizant of the role assumptions make in drawing any conclusions.  As a friend, fellow scientist and employee of the US Government once said:"What number do you want? I can prove any one you need."  And he is absolutely correct,  by adjusting the assumptions, the "facts", then the outcome changes.

I have never met a number that cannot be challenged once you get past 2+2=4 and Pi (which is irrational in any event).

[cheers]

Can't stay out of this one.

Back to basics. Facts are facts. There are no alternative facts.

There are inferences however that are derived from facts. The typical law school example is that you wake up in the morning and see that the road is wet. One inference that can be drawn from that is that it rained the night before, while another is that a street sweeper hosed down the road. Neither inference is proven by the wet road so the two theories never become a fact but remain an unproven inference unless there are other facts available to make one inference irrefutable.

OGBD is right that in most court cases the facts are clear to both sides and the only issue is how the law should be applied to the facts. (laws as written are frequently not as clear as one would like and require judicial interpretation.) There are however a lower percentage of cases where the litigants have different but yet an honestly held understanding of what happened which leaves it up to a judge to determine what the real fact is from conflicting stories. Finally, of course, you have the blatant liars who state something as a fact when they know it to be untrue. Unfortunately, in the political arena, there are far more of those than in the typical trial process.

:cheers:

The argument is understood.

My position is that the vast majority of my life has been spent creating certainty out of uncertainty.  People expect me to build a plant that will solve their problem.  My problem is that all of the "facts" that I have at my disposal are based on probabilities.  They are based on theorems, empirical studies, history, the understanding that they have of their situations.    The best that I have ever been able to do is manage risk by minimizing uncertainties.

I don't know what the outcome of my assumptions is until I turn the switch - and then the fun begins as I modify my assumptions within the realm of the possible.

When somebody asks me what is going to happen I will tell them my opinion of the probable outcome based on the information that I have available.  Just because something is probable does not mean that it is or even that it is likely.  It merely presents a valid working assumption.  Equally, just because something is improbable does not mean it is impossible. 

These two dicta have served me well over the years.  One was voiced recently by Donald Rumsfeld - known knowns, known unknowns, unknown unknowns.  The other I learned from Arthur C. Clarke "When a distinguished but elderly scientist states that something is possible, ... When he states that something is impossible, he is very probably wrong."

Facts are mutable.

FJAG said:
Can't stay out of this one.

Back to basics. Facts are facts. There are no alternative facts.

There are inferences however that are derived from facts. The typical law school example is that you wake up in the morning and see that the road is wet. One inference that can be drawn from that is that it rained the night before, while another is that a street sweeper hosed down the road. Neither inference is proven by the wet road so the two theories never become a fact but remain an unproven inference unless there are other facts available to make one inference irrefutable.

OGBD is right that in most court cases the facts are clear to both sides and the only issue is how the law should be applied to the facts. (laws as written are frequently not as clear as one would like and require judicial interpretation.) There are however a lower percentage of cases where the litigants have different but yet an honestly held understanding of what happened which leaves it up to a judge to determine what the real fact is from conflicting stories. Finally, of course, you have the blatant liars who state something as a fact when they know it to be untrue. Unfortunately, in the political arena, there are far more of those than in the typical trial process.

Where is a good Will Rodgers quote when you need one?  I wonder why there are so many Lawyer jokes out there?  There seems to be a shortage of 'Honest Abe' Lawyer politicians in our society or at least those who can garner the trust of the people.

Jed said:
Where is a good Will Rodgers quote when you need one?  I wonder why there are so many Lawyer jokes out there?  There seems to be a shortage of 'Honest Abe' Lawyer politicians in our society or at least those who can garner the trust of the people.

Here's one:

"I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts" Will Rogers

And another:

"All I know is just what I read in the papers, and that's an alibi for my ignorance" Will Rogers

And one more:

"The more you observe politics, the more you have to admit that each party is worse than the other." Will Rogers

;D

Chris Pook said:
The argument is understood.

Facts are mutable.

I don't think so, Chris.

What you describe is not working with facts (in the past/existing) but with future events that you try and prepare for based on what remains assumptions, calculations based on statistical distributions and theoretical understanding of the underlying rules of nature. That makes you an engineer, but not witness.

In your plant examples, all these assumptions and "calls" you make for building the plant, they become facts in two ways: once you make the assumption, it becomes the fact that it is the assumption you made, but it does not meant that it is correct - only that it is the one you made at that time. Secondly, when the switch is made on, as you state, exactly what happens then is also a fact.

The only "mutable" facts I know of, and they are likely more like "co-existing facts" until you actually take the measurement and the probability function collapses, are quantum mechanics states. Thank you Messrs. Eisenberg and Schrodinger.

In scientific endeavours, it is important to distinguish between the science and its conclusion and the truth of the conclusion (and believe me, I have had a hard time with that one before judges who come from the arts and letter side in time). Let me give you two instances for illustration purposes (I know you know these concepts but I will try and explain - summarily - for those who don't).

You build a plant and have a span to bridge. You evaluate the load it has to support and that includes the weight of snow it should support. To do that, you get the snow data, which is a distribution of potential snowfalls, known as return periods i.e. how big a snow fall can be expected and how often (such as you all have a 30 cm fall every ten years, and a 45 cm every 200 years). The rules of art of engineering tell you to take the 200 years return period. You then calculate the size of the beam for such a span based on tables/equations on strength of the material you wish to use - and add the fudge factor (sorry: safety factor) engineering school thought you to use.

The numbers you used, the calculations you made, the rules of art you used and the "tables" of data you used are actual facts as they exist at that time. If the next year a revised table is derived by the proper authority and the 200 years return value is now 50 cm, or the rules of the art evolve and you now use 500 years return period, it does not change the "facts" you have used. It's just science evolving over time and our understanding of nature evolving with it. But, BTW, these are not the type of facts human relations, politics and law deals with.

My second example: It deals with explaining this stuff to judges. Most of them (having no scientific background at all and actually being confused by simple arithmetics). Looking here again at "return periods", it is hard to explain to them that, for example, a 5 years return period for, say, a rainfall of 5 cm does not mean that every five years, there is one storm that makes 5 cm of rain fall on the city. Such events can occur five days in a row, then a year later, then none for 40 years, and the statistics is still valid. Similarly they don't get the attaching statistics that, for a system that has an expected life time of 30 years, for example, the 5 years return event has only an 85% chance of occurring over the life time.

But, as I said, those are not the types of "facts" we deal with in politics and in law. The contract is the contract - its wording doesn't change and is not a statistical distribution. Similarly, you either had contact with a Russian official or you didn't - there is no stats table applicable - or you had a bug on a given phone line or you didn't - again no stats distribution and underlying "scientific understanding subject to variation in time" applicable.

Oldgateboatdriver said:
I don't think so, Chris.

What you describe is not working with facts (in the past/existing) but with future events that you try and prepare for based on what remains assumptions, calculations based on statistical distributions and theoretical understanding of the underlying rules of nature. That makes you an engineer, but not witness.

In your plant examples, all these assumptions and "calls" you make for building the plant, they become facts in two ways: once you make the assumption, it becomes the fact that it is the assumption you made, but it does not meant that it is correct - only that it is the one you made at that time. Secondly, when the switch is made on, as you state, exactly what happens then is also a fact.

The only "mutable" facts I know of, and they are likely more like "co-existing facts" until you actually take the measurement and the probability function collapses, are quantum mechanics states. Thank you Messrs. Eisenberg and Schrodinger.

In scientific endeavours, it is important to distinguish between the science and its conclusion and the truth of the conclusion (and believe me, I have had a hard time with that one before judges who come from the arts and letter side in time). Let me give you two instances for illustration purposes (I know you know these concepts but I will try and explain - summarily - for those who don't).

You build a plant and have a span to bridge. You evaluate the load it has to support and that includes the weight of snow it should support. To do that, you get the snow data, which is a distribution of potential snowfalls, known as return periods i.e. how big a snow fall can be expected and how often (such as you all have a 30 cm fall every ten years, and a 45 cm every 200 years). The rules of art of engineering tell you to take the 200 years return period. You then calculate the size of the beam for such a span based on tables/equations on strength of the material you wish to use - and add the fudge factor (sorry: safety factor) engineering school thought you to use.

The numbers you used, the calculations you made, the rules of art you used and the "tables" of data you used are actual facts as they exist at that time. If the next year a revised table is derived by the proper authority and the 200 years return value is now 50 cm, or the rules of the art evolve and you now use 500 years return period, it does not change the "facts" you have used. It's just science evolving over time and our understanding of nature evolving with it. But, BTW, these are not the type of facts human relations, politics and law deals with.

My second example: It deals with explaining this stuff to judges. Most of them (having no scientific background at all and actually being confused by simple arithmetics). Looking here again at "return periods", it is hard to explain to them that, for example, a 5 years return period for, say, a rainfall of 5 cm does not mean that every five years, there is one storm that makes 5 cm of rain fall on the city. Such events can occur five days in a row, then a year later, then none for 40 years, and the statistics is still valid. Similarly they don't get the attaching statistics that, for a system that has an expected life time of 30 years, for example, the 5 years return event has only an 85% chance of occurring over the life time.

But, as I said, those are not the types of "facts" we deal with in politics and in law. The contract is the contract - its wording doesn't change and is not a statistical distribution. Similarly, you either had contact with a Russian official or you didn't - there is no stats table applicable - or you had a bug on a given phone line or you didn't - again no stats distribution and underlying "scientific understanding subject to variation in time" applicable.

OK. I can track this using your examples.  However, to push facts a little farther;  The conversation you had with an ambassador was " Hey how is your grandson Sasha doing? or What do you think we can do about this Clinton thing?

It is highly unlikely that this detail of 'facts' can be proven one way or another by anyone.  It would be as inherently difficult as using facts to prove that God does or does not exist.

The bottom line is that many times you have to go with your gut feelings and experience.

Actually wrong Jed: There are no facts whatsoever that exist that prove the existence of God. Therefore, the existence of god is 100% and absolutely a matter of belief and nothing else. No factual basis at all. And if such basis existed, you would think that after 75,000 years that humans have been around and with the inventiveness and ingeniousness that humans have, the actual fact demonstrating the existence side would have been found by now. (Don't have to prove non existence - that's the staring point.) Onus is on proving existence and so far: proof that have actually stood the test of (even basic) human analysis = 0.

Oldgateboatdriver said:
Actually wrong Jed: There are no facts whatsoever that exist that prove the existence of God. Therefore, the existence of god is 100% and absolutely a matter of belief and nothing else. No factual basis at all. And if such basis existed, you would think that after 75,000 years that humans have been around and with the inventiveness and ingeniousness that humans have, the actual fact demonstrating the existence side would have been found by now. (Don't have to prove non existence - that's the staring point.) Onus is on proving existence and so far: proof that have actually stood the test of (even basic) human analysis = 0.

Well, I guess that proves my point that Facts are not the be all and end all when dealing with human nature.  Throw in statistics and trends, unknowns, assumptions etc.  and it will boil down to gut feelings.

Why is the onus on me to prove my gut feeling and not on you to prove yours, which you call Facts?

Jed said:

OK. I can track this using your examples.  However, to push facts a little farther;  The conversation you had with an ambassador was " Hey how is your grandson Sasha doing? or What do you think we can do about this Clinton thing?

It is highly unlikely that this detail of 'facts' can be proven one way or another by anyone.  It would be as inherently difficult as using facts to prove that God does or does not exist.

The bottom line is that many times you have to go with your gut feelings and experience.

I think that you are hitting the nail on the head on this issue.

What is happening is that a certain "fact" exists which is that "X spoke to the Russian Ambassador". Based on that fact a flurry of pundits go into overdrive making unproven inferences of what happened at the meeting and what was discussed.

From my point of view the fact that the discussion occurred is immaterial until such time that there is factual evidence of what was discussed or, alternatively, if the individual fails to disclose or admit to the discussion when confronted about it. My problem with most of the reporting on this issue has more to do with the fact that individuals who have had dealings with the Russians are trying to hide that fact and the contents of the meetings.

I personally don't presume that any of these people have been traitorous but I do have unfounded suspicions that much of what was going on here was that individuals were furthering their own business potential and networking connections in what could be a lucrative market.

In my view those suspicions could easily be allayed if the individuals advised what they discussed. Transparency is what is called for.

In my view those suspicions could easily be allayed if the individuals advised what they discussed. Transparency is what is called for.

You silly man you......

FJAG said:
I think that you are hitting the nail on the head on this issue.

What is happening is that a certain "fact" exists which is that "X spoke to the Russian Ambassador". Based on that fact a flurry of pundits go into overdrive making unproven inferences of what happened at the meeting and what was discussed.

From my point of view the fact that the discussion occurred is immaterial until such time that there is factual evidence of what was discussed or, alternatively, if the individual fails to disclose or admit to the discussion when confronted about it. My problem with most of the reporting on this issue has more to do with the fact that individuals who have had dealings with the Russians are trying to hide that fact and the contents of the meetings.

I personally don't presume that any of these people have been traitorous but I do have unfounded suspicions that much of what was going on here was that individuals were furthering their own business potential and networking connections in what could be a lucrative market.

Exactly.  Your founded suspicions (gut feelings?)  Well my unfounded suspicions based on my personal observation of the human nature and that historically and probably statistically, that the Democrats under the guidance of Past Pres Obama, Valerie Jarrett et al are stirring up a crap load of BS for personal reasons to the great detriment of the functional governing of the USA. 

Jed said:
Exactly. 

....the Democrats under the guidance of Past Pres Obama, Valerie Jarrett et al are stirring up a crap load of BS for personal reasons to the great detriment of the functional governing of the USA.
Now we know it's the Dems' conspiracy.  Thank you.

It's certainly not the focus on critiquing Saturday Night Live, or inconsequential Hollywood personalities, or making obscure but ominous references to Nordic countries, or making defence or foreign policy statements that leave your Secretaries of Defense and State scratching their heads, or media distain writ large, or highest ratings/largest crowds, or marketing a daughter's clothing line...or for painfully overusing the expressions: "doesn't have a clue"; "the worst in history"; "I am the only one that..." ...all with a 140-character attention span.

F*cking Democrat bastards.  :mad:   

Exactly!  ::)

Change of pace here. An experiment was done with actors playing the roles of President Trump and Secretary Clinton in the debates, but with the genders reversed. The results were quite counterintuitive for the people who put this on:

We both thought that the inversion would confirm our liberal assumption—that no one would have accepted Trump’s behavior from a woman, and that the male Clinton would seem like the much stronger candidate.

https://www.nyu.edu/about/news-publications/news/2017/march/trump-clinton-debates-gender-reversal.html

What if Donald Trump and Hillary Clinton Had Swapped Genders?
A restaging of the presidential debates with an actress playing Trump and an actor playing Clinton yielded surprising results.
Feb 28, 2017|
by Eileen Reynolds
Modified Feb 28, 2017

After watching the second televised debate between Donald Trump and Hillary Clinton in October 2016—a battle between the first female candidate nominated by a major party and an opponent who’d just been caught on tape bragging about sexually assaulting women—Maria Guadalupe, an associate professor of economics and political science at INSEAD, had an idea. Millions had tuned in to watch a man face off against a woman for the first set of co-ed presidential debates in American history. But how would their perceptions change, she wondered, if the genders of the candidates were switched? She pictured an actress playing Trump, replicating his words, gestures, body language, and tone verbatim, while an actor took on Clinton’s role in the same way. What would the experiment reveal about male and female communication styles, and the differing standards by which we unconsciously judge them?

Guadalupe reached out to Joe Salvatore, a Steinhardt clinical associate professor of educational theatre who specializes in ethnodrama—a method of adapting interviews, field notes, journal entries, and other print and media artifacts into a script to be performed as a play. Together, they developed Her Opponent, a production featuring actors performing excerpts from each of the three debates exactly as they happened—but with the genders switched. Salvatore cast fellow educational theatre faculty Rachel Whorton to play “Brenda King,” a female version of Trump, and Daryl Embry to play “Jonathan Gordon,” a male version of Hillary Clinton, and coached them as they learned the candidates’ words and gestures. A third actor, Andy Wagner, would play the moderator in all three debates, with the performances livestreamed. Andrew Freiband, a professor in the Department of Film/Animation/Video at the Rhode Island School of Design, provided the video design. (Watch footage from a Her Opponent rehearsal below.)

Salvatore says he and Guadalupe began the project assuming that the gender inversion would confirm what they’d each suspected watching the real-life debates: that Trump’s aggression—his tendency to interrupt and attack—would never be tolerated in a woman, and that Clinton’s competence and preparedness would seem even more convincing coming from a man.

But the lessons about gender that emerged in rehearsal turned out to be much less tidy. What was Jonathan Gordon smiling about all the time? And didn’t he seem a little stiff, tethered to rehearsed statements at the podium, while Brenda King, plainspoken and confident, freely roamed the stage? Which one would audiences find more likeable?

The two sold-out performances of Her Opponent took place on the night of Saturday, January 28, just a week after President Trump’s inauguration and the ensuing Women’s March on Washington. “The atmosphere among the standing-room-only crowd, which appeared mostly drawn from academic circles, was convivial, but also a little anxious,” Alexis Soloski, a New York Times reporter who attended the first performance, observed. “Most of the people there had watched the debates assuming that Ms. Clinton couldn’t lose. This time they watched trying to figure out how Mr. Trump could have won.”

Inside the evening’s program were two surveys for each audience member to fill out—one for before the show, with questions about their impressions of the real-life Trump–Clinton debates, and another for afterward, asking about their reactions to the King–Gordon restaging. Each performance was also followed by a discussion, with Salvatore bringing a microphone around to those eager to comment on what they had seen. 

“I’ve never had an audience be so articulate about something so immediately after the performance,” Salvatore says of the cathartic discussions. “For me, watching people watch it was so informative. People across the board were surprised that their expectations about what they were going to experience were upended.”

Many were shocked to find that they couldn’t seem to find in Jonathan Gordon what they had admired in Hillary Clinton—or that Brenda King’s clever tactics seemed to shine in moments where they’d remembered Donald Trump flailing or lashing out. For those Clinton voters trying to make sense of the loss, it was by turns bewildering and instructive, raising as many questions about gender performance and effects of sexism as it answered.

And this was just the first phase of the project: Her Opponent’s creators envision adapting the recording as a classroom teaching tool to explore the complex ways our personal biases influence how we receive messages. The gender-swapping technique, Salvatore suggests, could also be used to explore the communication styles of different political figures in other charged confrontations.

NYU News talked with Salvatore about the painstaking process of re-gendering the presidential candidates, and about why the Gordon–King debates seem to have struck a nerve.

How were the excerpts chosen?

Maria Guadalupe chose them. The excerpts covered a variety of different issues, and they also had to be possible to do in the gender inversion. For example, we talked about doing a section at the top of debate two, where Trump had paraded out three women who had accused Bill Clinton [of sexual assault], because there were some interesting things going on with gender there. But when Maria listened to it, she anticipated that trying to do the inversion would become really complicated. There was another moment in that same debate where Clinton says, “When I was First Lady, I had to work with Democrats and Republicans,” and we ended up having to cut the “When I was First Lady” because when we tried it as “When I was First Man,” it just made no sense. The other thing is that the sections she chose featured both solo speaking and cross-talk. We felt like that was an important element because Trump’s aggression—the way he uses the microphone—is present in the cross-talk and not as much in the other sections.

What was the rehearsal process like?

It was really challenging on a number of levels—technically, but mentally and emotionally as well. Especially for Rachel, who played the female version of Trump, it was emotionally challenging because of the things she had to say. We started with audio first, so that the actors could listen to it and learn it without the visuals. Then we went back into the room with screens to watch, and they took notes on the gestures to link to the audio that they had already learned. 

At some point they were able to do it from memory with the video of Trump and Clinton playing along behind them on a TV, so their level of accuracy was pretty amazing. Once we got into rehearsal and started experiencing Clinton in a man’s voice and body, Maria and I started to think that maybe Daryl had the harder job. We both thought that the inversion would confirm our liberal assumption—that no one would have accepted Trump’s behavior from a woman, and that the male Clinton would seem like the much stronger candidate. But we kept checking in with each other and realized that this disruption—a major change in perception—was happening. I had an unsettled feeling the whole way through. 

Based on the conversations after the performances, it sounded like audience members had their beliefs rattled in a similar way. What were some themes that emerged from their responses?

We heard a lot of “now I understand how this happened”—meaning how Trump won the election. People got upset. There was a guy two rows in front of me who was literally holding his head in his hands, and the person with him was rubbing his back. The simplicity of Trump’s message became easier for people to hear when it was coming from a woman—that was a theme. One person said, “I’m just so struck by how precise Trump’s technique is.” Another—a musical theater composer, actually—said that Trump created “hummable lyrics,” while Clinton talked a lot, and everything she was was true and factual, but there was no “hook” to it. Another theme was about not liking either candidate—you know, “I wouldn’t vote for either one.” Someone said that Jonathan Gordon [the male Hillary Clinton] was “really punchable” because of all the smiling. And a lot of people were just very surprised by the way it upended their expectations about what they thought they would feel or experience. There was someone who described Brenda King [the female Donald Trump] as his Jewish aunt who would take care of him, even though he might not like his aunt. Someone else described her as the middle school principal who you don’t like, but you know is doing good things for you.

What did you find most surprising?

I was particularly struck by the post-performance discussions about effeminacy. People felt that the male version of Clinton was feminine, and that that was bad. As a gay man who worked really hard, especially when I was younger, to erase femininity from my body—for better or worse—I found myself feeling really upset hearing those things. Daryl [the actor playing Jonathan Gordon, the male Clinton] and I have talked about this multiple times since the performances. Never once in rehearsal did we say, “play this more feminine.” So I think it was mostly the smiling piece—so many women have told me that they’re taught to smile through things that are uncomfortable. It’s been really powerful to hear women talk about that, and a learning experience for me. I was surprised by how critical I was seeing [Clinton] on a man’s body, and also by the fact that I didn’t find Trump’s behavior on a woman to be off-putting. I remember turning to Maria at one point in the rehearsals and saying, "I kind of want to have a beer with her!" The majority of my extended family voted for Trump. In some ways, I developed empathy for people who voted for him by doing this project, which is not what I was expecting. I expected it to make me more angry at them, but it gave me an understanding of what they might have heard or experienced when he spoke.

What’s next for this project?

The plan is to go into a studio and film these debate excerpts, shot for shot, as they were televised on TV. My colleague Andrew Freiband from the Rhode Island School of Design is especially interested in non-vebal cues—all the unconscious information that gets thrown at us based on physicality, tone of voice, and gestures, but also camera angles, shot length, and the size of the lens. He’s hoping that out of the film version we can create an interface online where a person will be able to click on both the original debate and our version of it, with an annotated description running underneath. That way we can start to get at how all of these nonverbal elements, which are undetectable in real time, contribute to the message that we receive when we watch these things. This has really emerged for us as a tool that could be quite powerful, and I would love for people beyond the liberal, academic audience to get to experience it too.

"My problem with most of the reporting on this issue has more to do with the fact that individuals who have had dealings with the Russians are trying to hide that fact and the contents of the meetings."

With large numbers of people poised to jump on anything and inflate it beyond recognition, "hiding facts and contents" becomes an artifact of irrationally overblown alarmism.  The more things seem to be hidden, the more frenzied the accusers become.

Journeyman said:
Now we know it's the Dems' conspiracy.  Thank you.

It's certainly not the focus on critiquing Saturday Night Live, or inconsequential Hollywood personalities, or making obscure but ominous references to Nordic countries, or making defence or foreign policy statements that leave your Secretaries of Defense and State scratching their heads, or media distain writ large, or highest ratings/largest crowds, or marketing a daughter's clothing line...or for painfully overusing the expressions: "doesn't have a clue"; "the worst in history"; "I am the only one that..." ...all with a 140-character attention span.

F*cking Democrat bastards.  :mad:   

Exactly!  ::)

I make no excuses for the hash up that the Trump team has be making; this too is very painful to watch. I doubt that these actions were carried out with malicious intent but more likely due to a lack of experience and not having a governing team together.  It must be exceedingly difficult to work with saboteurs within your chain of command  and also have very little support from the Mainstream media who exacerbate every issue in real time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back