• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

U.S. ACOG Optical Sight

x westie

Inactive
Reaction score
In the latest issue of  "Combat Arms" { Guns & Ammo magazine} the commander of 1st Marine Dvision {Major General J.N. Mattis} said that  "ACOG" mounted on the M-16 rifle has proven to be the biggest improvement in lethality for the Marine infantryman since the introduction of the M1 Garand in WW2 , interested in your input and how this compares to the optical sight on our Canadian C-7 rifle

Search around the forums, KevinB posted  a review of varouis optics in use with the US Military and his thoughts on the C79.

ACOG= Good
ELCAN= Piece of Shyte
That's all you need to know on the subject.

Big Red said:
S&B Short Dot= BEST ;)

Red,

You are not wrong - however I think the following formula applies:

S&B Short Dot = 2 (or possibly 3) ACOG (depending where you buy...)

be safe,

blake

S&B Short Dot: $2100.00 USD (average price)
ACOG TAONSN: $1250.00 USD (average price)
ELcan C-79: I wouldn't take one if it was given to me

MG34 said:
S&B Short Dot: $2100.00 USD (average price)
ACOG TAONSN: $1250.00 USD (average price)
ELcan C-79: I wouldn't take one if it was given to me

MG34

Seen - I was looking at retail for the Short Dot and my dealer cost from Brownell's for the ACOG.

My bad...

be safe,

blake

P.S. - still waiting for CPMI to come out with mag base pads for the USP  ;)

MG34 said:
No big deal :),yes the base pads I'd forgotten about that.

...an elephant never forgets - you are "in the book".  I'll give you a shout if/when it ever happens...

blake

I am personally not a fan of it.
to me I had too many problems with having a narrow vision out in the longer ranges (ie more then 150 meters)
I just couldn't effectively have my non shooting eye open while trying to look down the scope.
I just kept checking myself because I was getting tunnel vision with the damn thing.
I'd rather have an elcan then an acog.
Greg

For CQB stuff, EoTech or Aimpint is the only way to go. For field operations I like the ACOG. The S&B also provides a nice all in one package. I am wanting to try the Ailpoint with the 3x magnifier, supposed to be a nice combo as well.

Guys -- I know where you can get a Short Dot for about $1700 USD

Mind you a TA01NSN with the Dr Optic as now done by USSOC is a pretty good setup --- for shooting while in a moving vehicle a EOTECH is impossible to beat.

Back