• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Types of rounds in the cf

Jarnhamar said:
It sounds like you are saying Ethics are a joke  ;)

lol not my point , I just mean that usually the weapon exam is right before the live range fire ... so there is no reason to fail it and screw it up ! it's a definite test that needs to be a pass for everyone. 

Ethics is very important , but in itself , you can't really kill a man by failing a test on ethics ( that is by answering wrong ON PAPER ) trust me I know how a wrongfull ethic value can screw up a career !

Well there was the round bought by bloggns for wearing his beret in the mess, the round smith bought on promotion to 2Lt. My troop mate bought a round when he miss crimped the det to the fuze causing a delay of 30 min. I for what ever reason bought a few rounds when I told the mess I was getting married. Do I need to list more?

Do they still use HE 5.55mm?  I've been out of that game for a while.

Flashbacks to the '70's
Besides the rounds listed isn't there AP and API
AP Armour Piercing
API Armour Piercing Incendiary

Tom

Also, just flashed to me
WP White Phosphorous  It was used when I was in on the .50 cal spotting rifle which was part of the
106mm recoilless rifle
Don't know if WP rounds in use or not in the CF now

Tom 

Crantor said:
He's on a reserve course.  Part time.  Likely every two weekends.  So the benefit of having course mates handy or duty staff like marching NCOs and such are likely not there like on a full time course.

army.ca is a ready ressource.  Or at least it could be.

I don't disagree, I did my basic on the weekends as well but I also had everyone in my sections phone numbers/emails, I also created a private Facebook group where we all asked questions, posted inspection standards etc.

However I will attempt to assist the member.

In my opinion what I would focus on is:
Safety infractions (weapon down range, individual safety precaution, clearing before and after assembly, on safe when not shooting)
Timings that you need to meet (loading a mag by hand, with a charger and anything else that is timed). Your instructors should also ask you if you have any questions prior to the rest, if they don't ask them.

Don't over think and remain calm.the way I was taught is that you were supposed to be able to drills with out thinking about so that when you actually are shooting it is all muscle memory.

How did they instruct shootinf from a distance? On my course we had Herman the German and wed point where we would aim based on the distance and whether they were walking or running.

The C7 is effective up to 300m away and with a section can enagae up to 600m.

Good luck and again remember safety, safety.

One last point, when you load you need more pressure to load a magazine full of dummy rounds (on my basic we did loads/unloads and when it came to the test no one had every loaded a rifle with bullets and a few couldn't get the magazine to catch causing them to fail).

Good luck, you will be fine.

Cheers

Edit:

The four types of rounds you need to be concerned with.
Dummy (silver cremped ends)
Blank (brass colour cremes ends, shorter than ball rounds)
Live/Ball (live bullets)
Tracers (look the same as live/ball but with a green coat) which will allow tour rounds to illuminate roughly after 100m)

runormal said:
...The four types of rounds you need to be concerned with.
Live/Ball (live bullets)
Tracers (look the same as live/ball but with a green coat) which will allow tour rounds to illuminate roughly after 100m)

When did tracer change from a red/maroon tip to green?  ???

Good2Golf said:
When did tracer change from a red/maroon tip to green?  ???

Never - unless your crossed into the Soviet Union or other wrong colored tracer entity.
  But also that would be Orange or Red - Maroon is for Beret's  ;)

In 5.56mm Green Tip M885 is the US Ball round (lets not get me going here on M855A1) - it was designed so troops would know not to put M855 in the M16A1, and replaced the M193 55gr ball round

runormal said:
The four types of rounds you need to be concerned with.
Live/Ball (live bullets)

Tracers, ball and blank are all live ;)

KevinB said:
Never - unless your crossed into the Soviet Union or other wrong colored tracer entity.
  But also that would be Orange or Red - Maroon is for Beret's  ;)

In 5.56mm Green Tip M885 is the US Ball round (lets not get me going here on M855A1) - it was designed so troops would know not to put M855 in the M16A1, and replaced the M193 55gr ball round

...or was it violet...low intensity tracer for use with NVG...helos used it, IIRC.

Back