• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Two dead, 22 injured in Toronto shooting

What's the difference between justice and punishment?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bWpK0wsnitc

google map link
https://maps.google.ca/maps?q=193+Danzig+St,+ont,+canada&hl=en&ll=43.764613,-79.182302&spn=0.001902,0.003508&geocode=+&hnear=193+Danzig+St,+Scarborough,+Ontario+M1E+2L6&t=h&z=18

Bass ackwards said:
I think he may have a battle on his hands trying to evict someone on those grounds. I could be wrong, I'm not too up on the current Landlord/Tenant Act.

And does anyone really believe that most -hell, any- of those "disenfranchised youths" would actually prefer to get up every day and go to some job ?

Actually the LTA has been replaced with a new piece of legislation called the Residential Tenancies Act ( RTA) which has given landlords greater powers, particularly with respect to eviction. This is one case where the TCHA could actually follow through on their threat.

However, until the culture of "no snitching" is broken. And the absenteeism of a father figure for many of the youth living in these areas ( Social Housing) is adressed, it's mainly just window dressing.

Of course the fact that people are out partying on a Monday night, after 2300, and an infant ( maybe more) were also among them has me shaking my head....

Thanks for the update Bbd.
When I lived in Ontario, it just about took an act of Parliament to evict someone. 

So since a kid drew a gun at school and a father got arrested strip searched and his kids detained by the police and CAS, CAS should be gearing up for a crusade in this neighborhood right?  Kid, party, alcohol, drugs, guns.. 

ObedientiaZelum said:
So since a kid drew a gun at school and a father got arrested strip searched and his kids detained by the police and CAS, CAS should be gearing up for a crusade in this neighborhood right?  Kid, party, alcohol, drugs, guns..

Nope.
The priority right now is to go after local Canadian Tire and Walmart stores for selling .30-30 ammo to deer hunters.
I can't wait for Adam Vaughn to weigh in on this.
This may be a crappy thing to say, but I'd be willing to bet that for him, Wendy Cukier and others of their ilk, this incident probably made their day. 

Yeah, they'll latch onto that like bloodsuckers.....

Interesting: The other fatality is a 23 year old male named Joshua Yasay.
He graduated from York University last June with an Honours BA in criminology.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/story/2012/07/16/toronto-scarborough-shooting.html

Ironic works too.
I frankly expected someone with a graduate degree in drug dealing, that's all.

The area is the home of the Golloway Boys street gang, which was crushed, along with the Malvern Crew, in Project pathfinder. That police sweep netted many big players, which averted an all out war between the gangs.

A good statement I heard on the radio today, is that possibly some of those people are out now, and things could be brewing again.

http://www.rapdict.org/Malvern_Crew

http://www.rapdict.org/Galloway_Boys

http://ca.wiley.com/WileyCDA/WileyTitle/productCd-0470840609.html

dileas

tess

Let's use some frank language that everyone seems to be skating around (no one wants to be labeled as a racist). This is a black immigrant problem. If most of these gang members are from Jamaica and the Caribbean; send convicted gang members packing back to their country of origin.

These people don't need some stupid committee to spend money trying to build a basketball court; they need punishment and consequences.

I fear however that most of these stellar additions to our Canadian family have already procreated in Canada and their "ways" will continue on with a generation of Canadians who can't be deported.

dogger1936 said:
Let's use some frank language that everyone seems to be skating around (no one wants to be labeled as a racist). This is a black immigrant problem. If most of these gang members are from Jamaica and the Caribbean; send convicted gang members packing back to their country of origin.

These people don't need some stupid committee to spend money trying to build a basketball court; they need punishment and consequences.

I fear however that most of these stellar additions to our Canadian family have already procreated in Canada and their "ways" will continue on with a generation of Canadians who can't be deported.

I bet, most of these gang bangers are born and bread, second and third generation Canucks.  The closest island they've been to is Centre Island

John Tescione said:
You would be surprised to know, most of these gang bangers are born and bread, second and third generation.  The closest island they've been to is Centre Island

That's what I feared John.

dogger1936 said:

Having grown up literally around the corner and still having many friends out there, some living just down the road, I can tell you that these people were born and bred in Scarborough.  You would have to go back quite a ways to find a non-Canadian in their trees.

Strike said:
Having grown up literally around the corner and still having many friends out there, some living just down the road, I can tell you that these people were born and bred in Scarborough.  You would have to go back quite a ways to find a non-Canadian in their trees.

Awesome. So law enforcement are about 30-40 years too late I guess. Thanks for the inside view.

At least one of them were lined up to be deported.
http://www.torontosun.com/2011/11/13/malvern-crew-gangster-ordered-deported

Sad part is when communities like this hit critical mass of jack***es the good people escape and turns the place into a ghetto. I'm in a part of a city that is "Chav" ville. Looks like a nice quiet neighborhood when you come here house hunting in the day time. Unfortunately that's when all the cockroaches sleep... And if this part of the city in Toronto is anything like here; aside from selling some poisoned crack...there is no fixing it now.

This my be simplistic but the city needs to come up with a comprehensive strategy.

1- de-criminalise the sex trade.  Lisence it, regulate it, control it.

2- de-criminalise soft drugs.  Same deal as 1.  Then attack the issue the same way you attack cigarette smoking.

3- go after these guys the same way they've started out West.  Get a bunch of by-laws in place like banning tinted windows on cars within city limits.  Find out what clubs, restauraunts, pubs wherever it is they like to hang out.  Get them banned from going to those establishments.  If they don't cooperate, you re-evaluate their liquor lisences, health guidelines etc etc until they do.  Cut the bar hours in some spots.  Curfews in targeted areas.

1 and 2 won't solve the issue.  but it will cut off some of their income.
3 just makes it harder for them to operate.

Rather than take a direct approach go around.

Crantor said:
If they don't cooperate, you re-evaluate their liquor lisences, health guidelines etc etc until they do.  Cut the bar hours in some spots.  Curfews in targeted areas.

Though I know your mind is in the right place, I have no desire to see the government start dictating who a business can or can not serve. Slippery slopes and all that.

Back