• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

TRAVELLING TO UK (SCOTLAND AND ENGLAND)

Fusilier said:
Stirling was very nice and Stirling castle was impressive (also the museum for the Argyle and Sutherland Highlanders).  

eek, Argyll :p Argyle is a material/type of material if I am correct. The "Argyll" refers to a a location... You spelled the location correct further down in the post :)

The Crowe said:
eek, Argyll :p Argyle is a material/type of material if I am correct. The "Argyll" refers to a a location... You spelled the location correct further down in the post :)

Excuse me, I bow to your superior intelligence.  I'm sure you have never made a typo before and therefore are in the position to correct everyone else.

If you check their historical site you will find that often it is spelt both ways  :)
http://www.regiments.org/regiments/uk/inf/091-794.htm

Either way Stirling castle is a really cool detour if your in that neck of the woods. I had the pleasure of visiting there when I was young(er?). Now that I am older and in an affiliated regiment, I wish I could go back and actualy take the time to poke around instead of running around the ramparts (although I wouldn't mind doing that again either).

The museum (in Stirling castle) was very well done and interesting.  We were there at Christmas time and there couldn't have been more than 15 tourists there.  Good time to visit if you don't mind the cold  ;D

Fusilier said:
The museum (in Stirling castle) was very well done and interesting.   We were there at Christmas time and there couldn't have been more than 15 tourists there.   Good time to visit if you don't mind the cold   ;D

I was there in 1990 when on loan to the Scottish Division; the Argylls gave us a guided tour.  I did indeed like the museum there, very nice.

Hey Kincannucks,

I was last over in Scotland in 97.  Went with my sister and Mom.  Mom was born in Dundee.  Nice City.  If you and yours like to golf.  Then St. Andrews if fantastic.  If you don't golf, it's still fantastic!  Close to Dundee there is Glamis Castle, birth place of the Queen Mother.  Nice tour of the castle.  Beautiful grounds.
Fort William is a great wee town.  We went a ceilgh there, at McTavish's.  A pub type place that puts on Ceilgh's for us tourists.  It was allot of fun.  We had a blast. 
If you have any of those Little Canadian Pins........bring lots!  They went over really well with all the staff at the pubs and places. 
Dunvagen Castle on the Isle of Skye is a good castle to take in. 
The Hermitge Falls are something else.......so green. Absolutely Beautiful.
Scone Palace is a a good one.  Has a Replica of the Corrination Stone, The Crowning Church. The grounds are beautiful, we peacocks running all over the place.
You will be in Edinburgh for the tattoo....lucky you!  Be sure to check out Edinburgh Castle. The Scottish crown jewels are something else.
Now just outside Edinburgh, is Rosslyn Kirk.  It was built in 1349.  It was just on a program on TV about the DaVinci Code. One thought is that the Holly Grail and the Holly Scrolls are under the church. Really Interesting.  Had to listen really hard to the tour guide, quite hard to understand so if you go, get up near the front!!
Those are just a few places that I can remember, of course there are  the obvious one's too.....Loch Ness etc etc.  Hope you have fun! 

Cheers,
RS

Damn, how did I forget to mention that hitting up atleast a few distileries is mandatory. I am partial to Islay, but doubtless you have your own favorites.

Pte. Gaisford said:
Damn, how did I forget to mention that hitting up atleast a few distileries is mandatory. I am partial to Islay, but doubtless you have your own favorites.

Yup...gotta do the wiskey tour !!

King,

In Scotland, make your way to the north coast, catch the ferry to the Orkneys and enjoy. My favourite distillery "Highland Park" is up there and many sights to see, but historic Skara Brae aabsolutely impressed me. It literally blew my senses away when you consider this place in context to our young nation.

Enjoy yourself, cheers.

RS said:
If you and yours like to golf.   Then St. Andrews if fantastic.   If you don't golf, it's still fantastic!

But don't plan on playing there unless you get a tee time 2 years in advance!! my grandparents have played there, and said the 2 year wait was worth it.  I have been there as well (haven't played there though), and I think St. Andrews is a must-see.  I really liked checking out the battle sites, like Culloden.  Fort George is another great place to visit, just to see the size and how fortified it was, and the antique weapons collection there.  Someone said Sterling was great, and I agree.  While you're in the area, you should go over to the William Wallace monument as well.  There are just too many great places to check out there, and that's not even a quarter of what I saw there.  But when you do go, take a journal and use it, so you will always remember every detail.  I'll have to dig mine up and post some more of what I did there.

Like a Scot there told me : "Scotland is rich in history, Canada is rich in geography"

I guess people just take their own landscape for granted (including me), because I thought Scotland was one of the most beautiful countries, but a Scottish woman there told me Canada had to be the MOST beautiful country in the world.

It was also fun to do some research on my ancestry, even though my ancestors were thieves and murderers, as I came to find out!

Back