• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Travel on weekend leave

Awesomedude

Inactive
Reaction score
Backstory: [REG force] Me and my wife broke down while out of town while on weekend leave. Informed the chain of command of the fact and now im being criticised for being out of area without a leave pass on a official evaluation.

I don't accept the critisism because I do not believe that is the policy. From what I gather from the leave manual:

A CF 100 is not required for a member proceeding exclusively on weekends and/or designated or other holidays, except when:
*      when travelling to a foreign country, or to a country other than the one where the member is employed;
*      when travel benefits are requested (eg. LTA); or
*      when required for ration accounting purposes for members authorized to draw rations on a continuous basis.

Since none of those three apply, is their a canforgen that will either support me or screw me? I need to provide a case.

Awesomedude said:
Backstory: [REG force] Me and my wife broke down while out of town while on weekend leave. Informed the chain of command of the fact and now im being criticised for being out of area without a leave pass on a official evaluation.

I don't accept the critisism because I do not believe that is the policy. From what I gather from the leave manual:

A CF 100 is not required for a member proceeding exclusively on weekends and/or designated or other holidays, except when:
*      when travelling to a foreign country, or to a country other than the one where the member is employed;
*      when travel benefits are requested (eg. LTA); or
*      when required for ration accounting purposes for members authorized to draw rations on a continuous basis.

Since none of those three apply, is their a canforgen that will either support me or screw me? I need to provide a case.

Chances are, the requirement may very well be laid out in either Unit or local Base/Wing Standing Orders.

DAA said:
Chances are, the requirement may very well be laid out in either Unit or local Base/Wing Standing Orders.

Even after nearly 30 years associated with this outfit in one way or another, I still don't get this.

The Leave Policy Manual is the gospel on leave issues.

Where does a unit or Base/Wing gain the authority to create a requirement for a CF 100 Leave Pass over and above the instances cited by the policy manual?

Occam said:
Even after nearly 30 years associated with this outfit in one way or another, I still don't get this.

Where does a unit or Base/Wing gain the authority to create a requirement for a CF 100 Leave Pass over and above the instances cited by the policy manual?

It's not so much as there being a requirement to use a CF100, it's more about being able to contact and or account for people, should the need arise.  I've been with many units and the requirements vary from location to location, depending on circumstances.  For the most part, CF100's are rarely used and units will create some form of accounting measure, be it a "sign out" book or locally produced "Weekend Leave Form" for instances when you will be outside the geo boundaries of your normal place of duty.

Personally, if I know I will be away for the weekend, I provide a quick email to my direct CoC....."Sir, I will be out of town this weekend but if need be, I can be reached as follows..........".

You don't want to find yourself in a position, where there is a serious illness/death in someones family and you are not able to contact the member because they decided to go away for the weekend and never left contact info.  Or a work related emergency arises and MCpl X is the only guy with keys/combinations to something you need immediate access to.  There are many different scenario's............

Occam said:

He said he was outside of his "area".

I can see Base/Wing/Unit Orders for a Operational Unit that has a designated radius or area setup due to the necessity of Alert Recalls they do not want pers to travel outside of without a Lve Pass (as the OP clearly states they were outside of), being put into place.  The Leave Policy Manual is a guide; Black and White with no shades of gray.  As all Units/Organizations are not identical, it can not cover all instances, as just stated.  Units do have their own necessities that need to be governed by their Unit Orders and SOPs. [Edit to add]  A Lawful Command is still a Lawful Command.

In fairness, the OP said he was out of town, and the OP's CoC is the one saying "out of area".  I would be curious to hear more detail on this aspect of the story.

I don't dispute that there are people employed in jobs that require them to be contacted easily.  However, we're talking about the OP's CoC requirement for a leave pass, not the requirement to leave your boss your phone number.  If I'm in Ottawa, and taking a drive to Cornwall for the weekend, I'm still "in area"...and unless I know my boss might want to reach me, I'm not submitting a leave pass nor am I going to tell them where I'll be.  If that happened, and then they tried to reach me and couldn't, and subsequently tried to write me up for being out of area, they'd hear about it.  If the CoC wants me to be available on weekends, give me a BlackBerry and order me to have it with me at all times - but it still doesn't create a need for a CF 100.

George Wallace said:
He said he was outside of his "area".

I can see Base/Wing/Unit Orders for a Operational Unit that has a designated radius or area setup due to the necessity of Alert Recalls they do not want pers to travel outside of without a Lve Pass (as the OP clearly states they were outside of), being put into place.  The Leave Policy Manual is a guide; Black and White with no shades of gray.  As all Units/Organizations are not identical, it can not cover all instances, as just stated.  Units do have their own necessities that need to be governed by their Unit Orders and SOPs. [Edit to add]  A Lawful Command is still a Lawful Command.

Leftover kife from the old days when the military wanted to run your personal life also.........if I was still in Pet I could sure be 'reached' a lot faster now driving through Kingston with a cell phone then I could have been back in the 80"s going for a 'walk' to Black Bear Park with a girl, a blanket and some beer.

Bruce Monkhouse said:
Leftover kife from the old days when the military wanted to run your personal life also.........if I was still in Pet I could sure be 'reached' a lot faster now driving through Kingston with a cell phone then I could have been back in the 80"s going for a 'walk' to Black Bear Park with a girl, a blanket and some beer.

If you were in Petawawa now, and enroute to Kingston, there are still areas of no Cell coverage. 

Back in the 80's there were often Duty NCO's who patrolled down to Black Bear Beach to check out the submarine races.  We had one who had to call Recovery at Zero Dark Thirty because he got the Regimental Van stuck in the sand........Can you say Career Cpl?  ;D

Occam said:
In fairness, the OP said he was out of town, and the OP's CoC is the one saying "out of area".  I would be curious to hear more detail on this aspect of the story.

I don't dispute that there are people employed in jobs that require them to be contacted easily.  However, we're talking about the OP's CoC requirement for a leave pass, not the requirement to leave your boss your phone number.  If I'm in Ottawa, and taking a drive to Cornwall for the weekend, I'm still "in area"...and unless I know my boss might want to reach me, I'm not submitting a leave pass nor am I going to tell them where I'll be.  If that happened, and then they tried to reach me and couldn't, and subsequently tried to write me up for being out of area, they'd hear about it.  If the CoC wants me to be available on weekends, give me a BlackBerry and order me to have it with me at all times - but it still doesn't create a need for a CF 100.

So more details...

I realize that alot of you older army guys are going to tell me to pound salt. Its not even like im getting punished but I received a PER/PDR what ever it is specifically to point out im screwing up because of this incident. If this effects my career in anyway im going straight to a grievance.

Basically on the sunday, broke down. Mechanic was close friend of the family ish, called him at home explaining it was an emergency. He came out and it was a bad alternator bearing and it blew the belt that was on the same line as the power steering. He said i would need a new one, wouldn't be able to get it until the next day.

So now this is 4-5 ish at night, im stranded with my wife around 5 hours drive away.  I phone my Sgt informing him of the situation, I want to phone in an annual leave pass because their is always a blank one on file signed with blank date.

Sgt is mad but what is he going to do.

Car is not ready the next day. Chain of command will not entertain another annual. so I hop in a bus, phone chain of command and ask if there is anyone able to pick me up a hour before work starts because that's when its going to arrive. Get to work on time, show receipts. Wife drives home next day when car is ready. I think problem is gone.

A few later receive evaluation about how shitty my admin is and I need to get on top of that to excell at the next rank (that i need to follow the rules and that i could have been charged AWOL and i need to fill out weekend leave passes.) I asked the Sgt if HE had a weekend leave pass (he went to kingston that weekend) and was told im a smart *** and the policy dosn't apply to SRNCO's 

Back back back story, I have 8 years in and have never even had a sick day and its grinding my gears that they are giving me crap especially since im out 500+ dollars between the repairs and cabbing to the bus station and taking a bus home. Its not like im extending my vacation on the beach while flipping off the queen and doing body shots.

If there isn't a unit policy directing you to inform your CoC if you travel more than XXX kilometres from the unit, then personally I'd say you took every reasonable step to ensure your CoC was made aware of your delay in returning.

Precisely how did your Sgt word the incident on the PDR?

Im not 100% but it was along the lines of member needs to take better care of his personal administration to advance to the next rank level

but it wasn't a normal quarterly PER it was a you screwed up heres your first warning PER,

I guess I was trying to find out if they were claiming you violated some regulation.  If that's the way it's worded, I'd ask what regulation it is, assuming you've looked for it and can't find it.

If they give you bafflegab and waffle on which regulation it is, it's your call as to whether you want to pursue the grievance or alternative dispute resolution route.  If someone is going to take the time to write up a subordinate, they'd better be able to cite chapter and verse as to why.

after i pour through the station SOP's on monday im defiantly going to challenge it. If they are going to be pricks im going to make them back it up

Op,

Your backstory does not help.
There are current members on the site as well.

Based on your side of things, your unit is effectively using the administrative tools
available to inform you an caution you regarding your responsibilities as a member of the CAF.
Yet, you're ready to "grieve" something that if you take corrective action on over the next 4-5 months,
should have little to no bearing on your PER.

Yes, weekend passes are not normally required. Yes, you don't like your Sergeant's answer if he had one (your side of the story). Yes you are out money due to your job's obligations....

Here's the hurt.
After 8 years service, you know you've signed on to be on to be ready to be on duty whenever, wherever at all times.
You were not and you have received a "lover's kiss" punishment IMO.

I don't even have purple porpoise piss for your complaint.

So your car broke down on Sunday, didn't get fixed Monday and you didn't make it to to work that day.  You asked for Tuesday as well, got denied and was td to report on Tuesday.  Since then you've received an adverse PDR. Does that sum it up correctly?

Awesomedude said:
I asked the Sgt if HE had a weekend leave pass (he went to kingston that weekend) and was told im a smart *** and the policy dosn't apply to SRNCO's 

You're lucky you just got a 5B PDR, I consider that borderline insubordinate.

I'd have summarized it as "Was out of area on weekend leave IAW CF Leave policy manual, car broke down.  Contacted Sgt in order to use 'emergency' leave form sitting under his desk blotter, pre-prepared for just this kind of reason. Sgt got bent and twisted for having to carry out his role as a supervisor, but granted leave for Monday.  Car was not able to be repaired Monday.  Informed Sgt.  Sgt denied another day's leave.  Took steps to arrive at normal place and time of duty for Tuesday.  Written up on a PDR for violation of some unspecified policy or regulation."

Does that accurately reflect the situation?

PuckChaser said:
You're lucky you just got a 5B PDR, I consider that borderline insubordinate.

So "do as I say and not as I do" is still an acceptable principle of leadership?

kratz said:
After 8 years service, you know you've signed on to be on to be ready to be on duty whenever, wherever at all times.

Sorry kratz, gonna have to disagree with you on this one.  If the above were true, you wouldn't be allowed to head home at the end of the work day or on weekends; everyone would live in shacks and you'd only see your spouse and family on occasions where you have taken annual leave.  COs create policy dictating normal working hours, and normally, what you do outside of those hours is completely up to you.  Sure there are situations and roles that require one to be within XXX km of work or within XX hours of reporting for duty, but those people are told very clearly and in no uncertain terms that they are subject to that policy.  It doesn't sound like the OP is one of those people.

Occam,
Great summary.

A point to be made, those "blank" leave passes are not legal,
thus highly subjective to the situation in which they are used.

If the Op had of called in with justification for the need of two+ days leave
(annual, short or any mix) it might have been approved too.

In the end, members are responsible for their actions.
As noted earlier, there is normally no requirement to have a weekend leave pass.
If the Op had of had one though, his concerns would have been solved.

Back