• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Transition to Municipal Police Force

@RedFive they have experienced officers starting class on June 26- a whole class- any idea what happens with that? Like what a gong show

People everywhere be like....

200.gif

@RedFive they have experienced officers starting class on June 26- a whole class- any idea what happens with that? Like what a gong show
If they’re already hired on as employees, SPS may simply carry on with the recruit class as part of the continuing game of chicken. After all, the province has yet to actually give a final approval to this. It’s not clear to me exactly how much say or power the province has on what the city does ultimately do. I don’t get the sense that the mayor’s declaration means this is finally settled.

If they’re already hired on as employees, SPS may simply carry on with the recruit class as part of the continuing game of chicken. After all, the province has yet to actually give a final approval to this. It’s not clear to me exactly how much say or power the province has on what the city does ultimately do. I don’t get the sense that the mayor’s declaration means this is finally settled.
Bringing them on to pay millions in severance seems odd- I would think the city has to approve the hirings above the SPS.

These classes WERE planned during a period where sps was told to freeze hiring so god knows I guess.

I'm not sure, and quite frankly I don't think anybody knows.

I'm absolutely confident the city and its lawyers are looking to dispose of SPS in the most cost and litigation free way they can manage.

Personally this has worked out great for me as I've just gotten an opportunity off of General Duty in the last couple weeks, and this will solidify my time there.

My opinion, however, is that this is a disaster for the City, the Province, and the RCMP as an institution. I won't go into why here, but I think this is a critical mistake by all involved.

I'm absolutely confident the city and its lawyers are looking to dispose of SPS in the most cost and litigation free way they can manage.

Personally this has worked out great for me as I've just gotten an opportunity off of General Duty in the last couple weeks, and this will solidify my time there.

My opinion, however, is that this is a disaster for the City, the Province, and the RCMP as an institution. I won't go into why here, but I think this is a critical mistake by all involved.
I would have thought the RCMP was relatively blame free in this situation.

Surrey and the Province, however…

No I’m with you on what I think you mean too. I agree wholeheartedly.

So…is this a good thing or a bad thing? To me, it’s a process that should have never started in the first place, but is it practical to revert back to RCMP this far into the process?

What a gong show…

Dude, we're just getting started... I think we'll need an emergency resupply of popcorn ;)

Surrey, B.C., mayor accuses public safety minister of bullying, misogyny​

VICTORIA — The mayor of Surrey, B.C., says the province's public safety minister is a "bully" who has treated her in a misogynistic way, while both officials accuse each other of playing games around which force will police the city.

Mayor Brenda Locke says Mike Farnworth, who is also the public safety minister, has been "a bully all the way through" the council's process that ultimately determined it would return to the RCMP.

Locke says she's worked in politics for a long time and has never "used the gender card," but in this case, she says she absolutely thinks "there is misogyny going on."

Her remarks come after Farnworth issued a statement saying he became concerned last Wednesday after learning a report on the future of policing in Surrey had not been shared with the province but would be put to a vote by council.

When just saying"bullying" still doesn't take the heat off of you,....go for the fences.

Are the RCMP obligated to provide police for any municipality that requests a contract or can they say thanks but no thanks?

I think the Province may have tipped their hand on this one, they took six months to sort themselves out and produce a report that recommended SPS move forward and when council voted to the opposite of their "recommendation" they throw a tantrum and demand a report within a single business day.

I suspect the Province may use the Police Act to get their way despite saying they couldn't earlier when they "recommended" SPS, and force it through. Followed shortly thereafter by a demand the RCMP backfill struggling Detachments elsewhere in BC with the surplus of members.

Just idle speculation though, I've found out about every twist and turn in this saga from the news, just like everybody else...

And the province says different.

B.C. government says Surrey to continue with municipal police force, not RCMP​

The long tug-of-war over policing in B.C.'s second-largest city could be coming to an end after the provincial government mandated that Surrey move forward with a municipal force, rather than revert back to the RCMP.

Announcing the decision on Wednesday, Public Safety Minister Mike Farnworth said Surrey officials had failed to prove they could maintain public safety while reversing the city's transition to the Surrey Police Service.

"People's safety, in Surrey and across the province, is non-negotiable. The city has failed to meet the requirements I placed to prevent a situation where there are not enough police officers to keep people safe," Farnworth said in a statement.
. . .

This appears to me to be the end of the road. I don’t know if the mayor has a recourse in this case

Ok so tell me what's the deal here? Why the kerfuffle?
Basically this has become an issue that causes massive butthurt on both sides between residents and politicians in Surrey, as well as the respective SPS and RCMP unions. The drama has been ridiculous.

IMHO, as a city of a half million people, it’s long overdue for Surrey to have its own municipal police service.

Back