• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Transition Group (Previously JPSU and DCSM)

Not knowing, nor do I care to know, what surgery you are to have, I would speculate that due to the extended period you are requiring for time off and for rehab, it sounds like your MO determined that you will not be able to return to full duties for quite an extended period.  (Speculating almost a full year)

The MO would have informed your CO of that, and the CO decided that your unit needs your position filled while you were recovering.

They are using IPSC for its purpose. Take the reduced pace and heal. Your still in and still getting paid on pensionable time. You're only in the military for a temporary period of your life; if you do not recover properly, you will be in pain for life.

stellarpanther said:
...While they acknowledged they don't even know if the file will be accepted, my question is whether I should try to have it denied.

To what end would you want to avoid this?

There's nothing wrong with going to JPSU, nor does it stop you cold from doing work in your trade. A RTW program could be arranged to work within your limitations, but your time should be focussed on your recovery.

Rider Pride said:
Not knowing, nor do I care to know, what surgery you are to have, I would speculate that due to the extended period you are requiring for time off and for rehab, it sounds like your MO determined that you will not be able to return to full duties for quite an extended period.  (Speculating almost a full year)

The MO would have informed your CO of that, and the CO decided that your unit needs your position filled while you were recovering.

They are using IPSC for its purpose. Take the reduced pace and heal. Your still in and still getting paid on pensionable time. You're only in the military for a temporary period of your life; if you do not recover properly, you will be in pain for life.

The MO or the CO haven't even heard about this yet.  My concern is because the only people I know/knew in JPSU were in the process of being medically released and that isn't expected in my case. 

stellarpanther said:
The MO or the CO haven't even heard about this yet.  My concern is because the only people I know/knew in JPSU were in the process of being medically released and that isn't expected in my case.

The CO, MO and to a lesser extent, your RSM (or equivalent) must know, because they are the ones who sign the paperwork and provide the justification and plan.

You need to ask your MO and your CoC some questions?

And no, the unit I am in, we send people there so they can take a break from the tempo and stress of the job while they are recovering. Everyone of them is expected to return.

The application is now with the BSurg.  What happened was the WO got the idea to try to have me posted to JPSU because he wants to try to get my position filled, and discussed it with the Captain who went along with it.  The CO found out about it a week or so after they told me they were going to try to do that.  After learning everything I have about JSPU, I am actually hoping I'll get accepted because it will allow me to heal without being rushed by my unit or pushed to do things I probably should not be doing anyway.  Both the surgeon and MO assure me that barring any unforeseen complication, other than a lengthy recovery time, this definitely will not get me released.

Exactly.  The folks I know at JPSU love to have people who recover and return to service.

Looks like it will be 2017 before DND completes any thorough analysis of how the JPSU system is working, but the Ombudsman will resume the task for the interim.
DND quietly shelves report from investigation into inadequate care for ill and injured troops
Chris Cobb, Postmedia News
National Post
29 June 2015

The Department of National Defence has quietly shelved an investigation into the much-criticized units created to help Canada’s most vulnerable ill and injured Afghan war veterans and other troops being transitioned out of the military.

The military ombudsman’s office is calling the DND move both “surprising and disappointing” amid reports from within the Joint Personnel Support Unit (JPSU) system that it continues to fail many troops who have been left with severe mental and physical injury in the service of their country.

In a report more than 18 months ago, the ombudsman criticized JPSU for being inadequately staffed with personnel ill-trained to deal with serving war vets at their emotionally lowest points.

JPSU, now seven years old, is an umbrella unit for 24 Integrated Personnel Support Centres (IPSCs) across Canada and was created to offer programs to support and enable mentally and physically injured troops to resume their military careers or, more realistically, to make a gradual transition into the civilian world with sellable skills.

In a series of Ottawa Citizen articles that helped to spur the ombudsman’s 2013 investigation, injured troops and former troops complained that the system was a shambles, with overworked staff regularly unable to cope and suffering burnout.

In one case, a staffer became so stressed that she joined the ill and injured ranks and became a posted-in member to an IPSC.

Ombudsman Gary Walbourne told the Citizen on Friday that his office had postponed its own deeper probe into JPSU last year on the understanding that the defence department would be conducting an investigation and issuing a public analysis and report on its findings this month.

DND now says that it will be 2017 before any report sees the light of day, even though it apparently began its investigation with visits to IPSCs a year ago.

Walbourne is refusing to wait another two years.

He is asking DND for all the data and feedback it has gathered so far so his staff can kick-start their own investigation without replicating what DND has already done.

“Given the importance of the Joint Personnel Support Unit and the fact that ill and injured CF members are posted there during one of the most stressful periods of their military careers (not to mention the impact on families), I feel an evaluation of the JPSU governance model is essential now, rather than later,” said Walbourne.

The ombudsman said he would be asking for DND’s data “to avoid duplication of effort and unnecessary additional costs to the tax payer.”

DND confirmed to the Citizen that the JPSU probe will be delayed two years but said the ill and injured units are “one piece of a much larger evaluation.

“That evaluation was only at the preliminary stage and no proposed drafts had been completed,” said a DND spokesperson in a emailed statement to the Citizen.

“We didn’t stop midway through it,” added the statement.

The ombudsman has acknowledged that improvements have been made within the JPSU system — notably with increased staffing that began in late 2013.

But there are no current, publicly available data to measure the progress, and reports from inside the system suggest that it continues to lack much needed resources and structure.

Chris Dupée, founder of the help group Military Minds and released from the military last December, says the system continues to fail many of the ill and injured who are “falling through the cracks.

“The intent is good, but the implementation is terrible,” he said. “(Support Centre) leadership have their hands tied because they can’t even gather everyone for an hour a week under one roof and make them feel like soldiers again.”

Dupée, who was released from an IPSC in Toronto, says some mentally injured soldiers are allowed to stay away from base because the contact triggers anxiety attacks.

Others get business-owning friends or relatives to “hire” them when, in reality, says Dupée, they are spending those alleged work hours alone at home “staring at walls” and ignoring email and phone messages from supervisors.

The situation is worse at combat bases such as Petawawa and Gagetown, where IPSCs are in “brutal” shape, he said.

“The good thing about JPSU is that there are lots of programs,” he said, “but these troops are at their lowest. They need help to get through the system and they’re not getting it.”

Retired master warrant officer Barry Westholm, who was second in command of JPSU’s massive Eastern Ontario region before resigning in protest at the system’s deterioration, wrote to federal leaders two months ago to warn that support centre staffs and troops continue to suffer consequences of a poorly run system.

Westholm, who also addressed his email to Defence Minister Jason Kenney and Veterans Affairs Minister Erin O’Toole, pointed to recent suicides and one alleged murder among troops posted into Eastern Ontario region JPSU.

“The JPSU has the makings of an incredible proactive assist to our military’s ill and injured (and their families),” he wrote, “but it is being horrifically mismanaged at the highest level.

“It takes a one-on-one relationship, not a Power-Point presentation, to accomplish rehabilitation/reintegration our ill and injured service-members,” he added. “It takes good people, strong leaders, empathetic leaders, creative leaders … and patience.”

Ombudsman spokesman Jamie Robertson said that although DND says its probe of JPSU is part of a wider evaluation of military processes, Walbourne wants to focus on JPSU for the immediate benefit of the ill and injured.

“It’s about making that transition less stressful,’ he said. “Those ill and injured soldiers deserve it.”
http://news.nationalpost.com/news/canada/canadian-politics/dnd-quietly-shelves-report-from-investigation-on-care-for-ill-and-injured-troops

I've heard mixed reviews from pers who have been through JPSU.  One individual, who made it back to his regiment, noted that initially the IPSC was very good and he did start to get better ... but, improvement plateaued.  He had gone from the structured and healthy routine of the regiment to something with no structure and heavily populated by the depressed and pessimistic.  The plateau eventually gave way to his getting worse.  He came back only because his attached posting expired and he had never fully been posted.  Hopefully the unit will find him employment that will allow his recovery.

MCG said:
Looks like it will be 2017 before DND completes any thorough analysis of how the JPSU system is working, but the Ombudsman will resume the task for the interim.http://news.nationalpost.com/news/canada/canadian-politics/dnd-quietly-shelves-report-from-investigation-on-care-for-ill-and-injured-troops ....
Looking for something else, and am belatedly sharing this as an update ....
Defence Minister Jason Kenney has ordered his department to release data it gathered during an internal investigation into the troubled military unit responsible for the care of ill and injured troops.

The Ottawa Citizen revealed Monday that DND had quietly shelved its partially finished investigation into the Joint Personnel Support Unit (JPSU) system saying it would not release any details until 2017.

The department began the investigation in August 2013 after a storm of criticism over JPSU’s failures.

It is unclear why the military needed four years to complete and release a report on the unit but according to a spokesperson, the JPSU probe was still only at the preliminary stage.

DND ombudsman Gary Walbourne said two years is too long to wait and late last week asked DND for all the information it has already gathered so his staff can continue the investigation independently without duplicating cost or effort.

Walbourne’s office confirmed late Monday (29 June) that the minister had ordered his department to hand over the data so ombudsman staff can continue the investigation.

( .... )
Ombudsman spokesman Jamie Robertson said ombudsman investigators intend to analyze the DND information gleaned from numerous IPSC/JPSU visits and move quickly to complete a report – likely within six months of getting the DND data.ombudsman investigators intend to analyze the DND information gleaned from numerous IPSC/JPSU visits and move quickly to complete a report – likely within six months of getting the DND data.
Even if the 'Budman has some work done & ready to share, it won't be shared until after October 19 thanks to the "Caretaker Convention" in place until then.  I guess it'll also depend how quickly the data gets handed over.

- edited by poster to get facts straight -

I was hoping if someone could provide me with a brief overview of the JPSU application process from start to finish. It is my understanding that the application goes through a number of different organizations before being finalized and a posting message cut. Just wondering what those organizations are and the approximate time it takes to go through. Ive done a number of searches with no luck.

Thank you for your time and any help you can provide.

The application form is a DND 2794 which can be found on the CF Forms Catalogue. Section 1 is simply the member's particulars. Section 2 is completed by the member's CO and then forwarded to the Base/Wing Surgeon for their comments.  The form is then forwarded to the Officer Commanding of the local Regional JPSU HQ and finally back to the member's CO for final comments and sent to the Career Manager.  This form utilizes digital signatures (do NOT use the old form!).  This is a much faster process than in the past as the form simply needs to be emailed (PKI) to each step of the process.

A memo from the member to their CoC requesting support for a posting to JPSU never hurts.

For criteria, see CANFORGEN 114/11.

Hope this helps

Usename said:
I was hoping if someone could provide me with a brief overview of the JPSU application process from start to finish.

You may find these discussions of helpful,

JPSU IPSC Problems or Issues (merged)
http://army.ca/forums/threads/108455.0
3 pages.

JPSU
https://army.ca/forums/threads/119372.0

Joint Personal Support Unit 
http://army.ca/forums/threads/104470.0

For future reference, perhaps JPSU will be merged.

Bumped with the latest - new boss taking over ...
Media are invited to attend the Joint Personnel Support Unit (JPSU) Change of Command Ceremony as Brigadier-General Dave Corbould takes over from Captain (N) France Langlois.

The JPSU provides personal administrative support and programs to ill and injured Canadian Armed Forces (CAF) members of the Regular and Reserve Force who have medical employment limitations that preclude them from returning to their normal place of duty for a period of six months or more.

What: JPSU Change of Command Ceremony 

When: Friday, August 5, 2016 at 9 a.m. EDT

Where: National Defence Headquarters Concourse, 101 Colonel By Drive, Ottawa, Ontario ...

This is probably not a typical question for someone being medically released. I have come to terms with it all and I'm now being proactive in my voc rehab which will start in Aug. I was told recently that I cannot be posted to JPSU until I start my voc rehab. But, I had been hoping for earlier. Sounds weird, but I want go there earlier so my unit is not left hanging without a replacement. This unit has been really good to me so, I would prefer that they are covered in the time (at least 6 weeks) prior to my voc rehab - the time I figure it will take to use my leave, move to a new location etc.
Does anyone know if you can be posted to JPSU before your voc rehab starts? Thanks

ninjapixie said:
Does anyone know if you can be posted to JPSU before your voc rehab starts?

For reference, perhaps,

Timing question on being posted to JPSU

will be merged with,

JPSU IPSC Problems or Issues (merged)
https://army.ca/forums/threads/84368.50
3 pages.

I was posted to JPSU edmonton long before my Voc Rehab. I got to JPSU in October and I start transitioning out January through ILP.

Short answer; yes you can be posted before then.

Given the timeline you stated, your unit likely will get a replacement posted in during the APS anyway. If they can still employ you fully, they probably aren't worried about staffing the paperwork until closer to the time you are scheduled to commence voc rehab. Or, they realize they aren't getting a replacement for you anyway, so why bother doing the paperwork. They can administer you on voc rehab if you are remaining in the same geo-location.

And with this ...
Chief of the Defence Staff announces Canadian Armed Forces General and Flag Officer senior appointments, promotions, and retirements ... Brigadier-General G.D. Corbould will retire from service, resulting in the following promotions and appointments:  Brigadier-General S.A. Brennan will be appointed Commanding Officer Joint Personnel Support Unit (JPSU), at NDHQ in Ottawa, replacing Brigadier-General G.D. Corbould ...
... we see this via The Canadian Press:
The commander of the military health unit responsible for mentally and physically injured soldiers is retiring, less than six months after taking over the much-maligned unit and promising to clean it up.

The timing of Brig.-Gen. Dave Corbould's sudden departure from the Joint Personnel Support Unit, which was announced Tuesday, has raised eyebrows and concerns about the unit's future.

But Corbould, who said he is hanging up his uniform for family reasons after 35 years in the military, insists the unit is finally on the right track after a tumultuous first decade of existence.

"It's much better because it's more focused, it understands itself better and it is moving forward," Corbould said in an interview. "And it is not reliant on any one individual. It is a team effort all around."

Corbould took over the support unit in August, hoping to turn the page on years of complaints and criticism about how Canadian soldiers, particularly those dealing with psychological injuries, were treated ...

Let's get something perfectly clear here. JPSU staff are NOT medical personnel! They deal with the administration of personnel posted to them.  Fingers continue to be pointed to JPSU for failing our sailors/soldiers/airmen; but why are those fingers not being pointed to the actual medical community?? Staff at JPSU in some units are being told strongly by the medical personnel that they are not to even know what member's medical condition is. How, then, can they be held responsible?? Not being medical, how the hell are they supposed to be the ones to medically assist our members?  The real issue is staffing. There are units where the staff (a Sgt/PO2) will have up to 75 direct reports who are spread over a very large area. Where else in the military does a Sgt have 75 DIRECT reports?? Nowhere.

Start pointing the fingers and questioning those who are truly supposed to be working on the physical and mental health of our members and not the administrators who are working very, very hard; unable to actually do anything and taking all the blame when something goes wrong!

Rant over.

NavyPhoenix said:
Staff at JPSU in some units are being told strongly by the medical personnel that they are not to even know what member's medical condition is. How, then, can they be held responsible?? Not being medical, how the hell are they supposed to be the ones to medically assist our members? 

Not sure what you mean by "medically assist"?  If the soldier posted the JPSU (or any unit) wants to share the nature of his medical condition that is up to him/her, the CAF medical system cannot and will not share so that should be the case in all and not just some JPSU units. 

I am not sure why you would need to know their medical condition to assist them - they receive medical employment limitations and a prognosis for recovery (TCAT 6 months or PCAT). If they need adaptive or ergonomic devices then that should be between CAF Health system and Veterans Affairs to figure out who is going to pay.

There are case managers and mental health (as appropriate) that should be doing collaborative work with the JPSU staff on a weekly basis.  So let's be clear, it is not about being responsible, it is about being responsive to the individuals needs and entitlements.

I agree. My point is that it is the medical system that is the ones who are supposed to work on the member's medical condition. JPSU staff are very, very good at being responsive to member's needs. But when a member "goes off the rails" (and it is almost always due to a mental health issue), it is JPSU staff who are blamed for not dealing with the member's issues when it is not their job to do that. I am just tired of JPSU wearing all the blame and the medical system and mental health personnel are not being questioned as to what did they do to assist the member.

Back