• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Transfer?

DEVES

Inactive
Reaction score
Hi there,
What I am wondering is if someone was to apply for a trade how easy would it be for them to change.
For example you went into BMQ as Cook and say you want to be infanrty or any other trade . Now how easy would it be for someone to switch trades and How could this be done.

While in  BMQ can you deal with this?

Would you just take the CFAT again and then remuster into that trade?

Just looking at all the angles beforehand

Well,
I've seen people managing to change trades during BMQ. It's rare and the staff might give you a hard time. But, in your case (from cook to infantry), it might be easier, because you don't look as a guy who's trying to get away with the field stuff. The thing is that most instructors (IMHO) are combat arms, if you got infantry for example, and you change trade to support trade because you're kinda intimidated by the war stories that you hear and you want to switch to clerk, guess what they'll think!

Now, if you wait till you arrive at the school to change, imagine: DND moves you to Borden, you're awaiting QL3 in your trade. So basically, you're on PAT platoon, for months usually. They you put in for your trade transfer, it takes time to process. If you finally get it, DND would move you to another base, put you on PAT platoon (awaiting QL3 course), for months.

If you manage to get an occupational transfer (OT) to a trade you really want (Please think twice and get it right this time...)you'll be in Admin. limbo for a while, if that's worth it for you...
Just don't expect the procedures to OT (in your case) to go fast and flawlessly...

There are other factors as well.  In a VOT you still need to qualify for your new trade with the CFAT as well as medically.  So, if you only qualified for cook during the recruiting process (not infantry) you can't bypass this by joining and trying to remuster after. 

If you wanted and you only did qualify as a cook could you take the test again at the time you ask to change trade? Or would you have to wait the 3 years till you can re muster, if they want you to stay in?

I have taken the test once failed math portion, then a second time not studying just thought i failed because i was going on vacation after test the first time I took it. Know It has been 8 months and I have been tutored but they want me to wait till March of next year.
Anyways Ill take the experience of a cook but I would really love to be infantry. =i will just have to huff it up till i can do what I want.

Are you sure there is no way to change or are you just speculating?

Cheers

Medically Ill pass for sure I have a class one Medical for flying and I'm quite fit.
Oh well :-\

Derek said:
Are you sure there is no way to change or are you just speculating?

I am not speculating.  In order to VOT you MUST meet the standards of the new trade, and that includes meeting the CFAT cut-off.

derek,,,,

i just joined here, but have been lurking for a while...

try to touch base with a member by the name of kincanucks...

very switched on in the recruiting end of things, and could probably help....

I am not speculating.  In order to VOT you MUST meet the standards of the new trade, and that includes meeting the CFAT cut-off.

What do you mean by CFAT -cutoff? Thank you Beachbum, and everyone. Ill just try to do a VOT when in BMQ or SQ. If I cant do it then ill just stay a cook till my first  contract is done and then switch. The recruiting center kind of screwed me around. Ive been waiting for ever. Then finally I get a day off work and go down there and he says I have to wait to do CFAT. Even though I have done waited 1.5 years and have been tutored. I just want to be in the CF and if this is the route I have to go then so be it.

Infantry is what I would really like to be, cooks what I can be so I'll just have to compromise. I still can work towards it!

Cheers

Okay,

First question.  By cut-off, I mean the score you need to be a certain trade.  You can't fail an aptitude test because that would mean you have no aptitude.  You can however not meet the cut-off for the trade you choose.  In your case, you met the cut-off for cook but not infantry. 

Secondly, could you please explain how CFRC "screwed you"?  I hear this a lot, but I really haven't seen a lot of examples.  Being found unfit etc is not "screwing you", it's just a fact that in some cases can be rectified...in others, not so much.

Now, the final thing.  You can do your 3  years as a cook and then try to VOT, but as I stated before, you still need to meet the requirements for the trade.

I have my High School diploma, I am fit and work out 4 times a week , I am good at English , Spatial Ability, just not so good at math as of 3 months ago. The thing is I'm not bad at math I just don't use it often and got kind of slow at it.

Anyways I just might wait and do the test again I know ill pass it. My Tutor says that I should have no prob now..

I shouldn't blame anyone but My self for all this . The recurting center staff are just doing there job. I just wish they would get there facts right the first time. Not change them every time I come in. i take that back about being screwed. They should try to look ahead a bit. I sure I'm not the first person to deal with this type of problem and they should know the facts. If I had Kin Canucks as my recruiter I would probably know what the deal was and it would be correct. No Crap.

Anyways I better get some work done.

Cheers.

Derek, do you mean you failed the CFAT twice or just once? I'm confused on what you are saying because of the timelines you use, were you failed 3 months ago?

Derek said:
I have my High School diploma, I am fit and work out 4 times a week , I am good at English , Spatial Ability, just not so good at math as of 3 months ago

1.5 years ago?
Derek said:
...Even though I have done waited 1.5 years and have been tutored.

or 8 months ago?

Derek said:
I have taken the test once failed math portion, then a second time not studying just thought i failed because i was going on vacation after test the first time I took it. Know It has been 8 months and I have been tutored but they want me to wait till March of next year.

I'm not trying to be hard on you, but I think your priority should be to pass the test first before you run the gammit of 'what-ifs'.  All of your other questions regarding transfers will be mute if you don't pass the CFAT.

Either way you have to achieve a certain score on the CFAT, as beach_bum saiid. If you failed the CFAT entirely then I don't see how you've come to the conclusion you qualify as a cook because cooks also have to achieve a certain level on the CFAT that includes passing it.

If you are re-writing the test I suggest you take some online aptitude tests or go to your local library and see what sorts of reference material there is on aptitude tests. Ask at your local high school if they have any aptitude tests you can take, etc. Ask your tutor to supply you with some aptitude tests. See where your weakness lies and take the time to study those topics before re-writing the test.

The higher you score the more flexibility you will have as far as trades of choice go.

Good luck :)

Derek said:
If I cant do it then ill just stay a cook till my first   contract is done and then switch.

Remember that you are not guaranteed to be granted a VOTP/LOTP/COTP.  These are competitive programs with limited numbers of positions so thread carefully.  Appling for an OT after 3 years does not mean that you will be allowed to "switch".  I was lucky i was selected for COTP my first attempt but guys on my course had applied 5 times before they were finaly selected.

but guys on my course had applied 5 times before they were finaly selected.
Well...my morale just took a big dump.... :-\, i was hoping to celebrate my 17th year in the Canadian Focres in blue....

What I am going to do now is just wait till next year and then do the test. I can do the test again Now but I'm going to Cuba in January. So ill wait get a little more prepared and do the test again. I'm not going to go the OT route I'm just going to go for what I want to do which is infantry. No point wasting anyones time. And Taxpayers money.

Thanks for all the replys it was helpful.

I have just recently completed my recruitment process and was merit listed. i applied for reg force infantry. i got a call yesterday  stating that i wasn't medicall fit for the infantry. the problem is my glasses. i have astigmatism (one eyes focus is a little different) and the only occupation i fit into is Cook and steward. no I'm am in kinda the same boat as Derek here. i have considered just going as cook and during my BMQ  trying for a OT. i know that i would still have to meet the requirements for infantry if the process goes through.  another consideration is laser eye surgery.  as of right now i am not a successful candidate* for it. but i am hoping that technology will advance in the next few years to come and things will turn out.
~Is it worth it to just go as a cook and see what happens down the road and if my eyes improve try out then?
~also what are the chances as a cook to going overseas? not that i don't wanna go
~and does the army pay for you glasses and/or sunglasses  how does that work
:cdn:

Back