• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Training, Tech to Prevent Accidental Discharges?

The Bread Guy

Staff member
Directing Staff
Subscriber
Donor
Reaction score
Shared in accordance with the "fair dealing" provisions, Section 29, of the Copyright Act - http://www.cb-cda.gc.ca/info/act-e.html#rid-33409

Protecting the Protectors:  Training to put an end to accidental discharges
James V. Marshall, Marine Corps Gazette, posted 1 Jul 06
http://www.mca-marines.org/Gazette/2006/06marshall.html

In spite of intensive training, accidental discharge of small weapons continues to be a problem within the Marine Corps, as well as throughout the U.S. military. Gaining a better understanding of these unfortunate and often tragic occurrences is critical to the process of their elimination. During the course of my training as a rifle and pistol coach, while serving in the Marine Corps from 1985 to 1993, I first began to observe and analyze the characteristics of accidental discharges of small weapons. Since 1996 I have served as a licensed firearms instructor for Tennessee law enforcement and over this time have gained an even greater appreciation and understanding of the nature of accidental discharges.

Early on in my military training I dismissed these accidental discharges as merely the end result of carelessness and/or negligence, along with inadequate training. However, I soon realized that my initial assessment was not accurate in most cases. Seasoned and highly trained soldiers could also fall prey to accidental discharges. In 2001 there were five deaths in special weapons and tactics training exercises in this country as cited by the National Tactical Officers Association. Were these the result of inadequate training? When accidental discharges happen among highly skilled and trained law enforcement and military personnel, given the intensity of their training, it is counterintuitive to merely dismiss these events as being the result of inadequate training. What then is the root cause of this problem?

Human Error
The vast majority of accidental discharges occur as a result of human error. This insidious quality of mankind cannot be avoided. You can certainly reduce the incidence of human error by extensive training and awareness, but human error will always exist and cannot be totally eliminated by training alone. It has been said that familiarity breeds complacency, which is yet another opportunity for human error. Furthermore, the factors of fatigue and stress can greatly increase the probability of human error. Few if any other professions can compare to the level of stress and fatigue experienced within the U.S. military.

When the consequences of human error can lead to life-threatening outcomes, it becomes essential to adopt critical countermeasures to reduce the likelihood of human error. This concept is the very foundation of the field of loss prevention. The losses as a result of the accidental discharges within the U.S. military are substantial and deserve our attention. In keeping with these principles, Secretary of Defense Donald H. Rumsfeld issued a challenge to the U.S. military to reduce the accident rate by 50 percent by the end of 2005.

Obviously, we cannot eliminate stress, and we cannot train away human error, so how can we expect to reduce the inevitable bad outcomes like accidental discharges that occur when these elements converge? One answer to this dilemma lies in first identifying the common denominator of all accidental discharges. By analyzing the common features of accidental discharges, there is one critical element that emerges as the common denominator—namely a chambered live round.

The Solution
The solution then for eliminating accidental discharges must lie in preventing the chambering of live ammunition, except of course when engaged in live ammunition training or combat. There are many ways to block the firing chamber of weapons, but unfortunately, most of these disable the weapon. Clearly, preservation of accessibility and functionality of a weapon is essential for military and law enforcement purposes.

In the course of my law enforcement training, I utilized one device called the Saf-T-Round (http://www.safrgun.com/saftround.htm), an ejectable visible load indicator that meets all of the above demands. This device, constructed of an international orange or black polymer, blocks the firing chamber of weapons and also has attached to it a flag or indicator that gives visual and tactile proof of a chamber clear status. However, unlike other load indicators and, most importantly, a totally unique feature of this remarkably simple but effective device is that it has a brass back, identical to live ammunition, that is engaged by the weapon extractor. As a result, the simple maneuver of charging the weapon instantly extracts and then ejects the Saf-T-Round, while chambering a live round (provided a loaded magazine is in place). Consequently, the Saf-T-Round when in place provides visible safety from accidental discharge, but preserves instantaneous availability and functionality of the weapon. The recently developed retention system for the Saf-T-Round is a hook and loop strap that attaches to the weapon barrel and, by retractable lanyard, attaches to the Saf-T-Round tab so that once ejected the Saf-T-Round is always available for reuse. This is a valuable combination of features that has numerous applications within law enforcement.

The Benefits
As I recall from my Marine Corps experiences, I can see a multitude of important applications for the Saf-T-Round that, in my opinion, would greatly reduce the accidental discharge rate. At the recruit depots this device would assist drill instructors and primary marksmanship instructors by ensuring a recruit’s weapon is safe, without requiring a lengthy detailed physical inspection, thus eliminating the long lines of Marines waiting to get their weapons inspected. Time reduction would be a key benefit in this example as the Saf-T-Round would allow junior and senior Marines to get along to the next step or task to be carried out without getting bogged down.

Regarding advanced training schools, the Saf-T-Round would help at any military occupational specialty training schools by providing safety during extensive weapons handling and live fire exercises.

During live fire exercises the Saf-T-Round would provide visual security to all Marines involved. Firing line noncommissioned officers would not have to worry as the Marines step up to the line with the Saf-T-Round visible. This device would assure them that the weapon is clearly safe, allowing for a calmer and safer environment for both the Marine who is shooting and the Marine in charge of the line.

Transportation of weapons and Marines can produce a very stressful situation. The Saf-T-Round would provide a visual security of all weapons during the transfer. This visual security would apply to weapons in transit via shipping or physical transportation by Marines on post to various locations. From a platoon in the back of a 7-ton truck to packaged weapons being transported from the manufacturers to the actual buyers, the Saf-T-Round would offer a more definitive, secure transportation.

Use of this additional safety measure would also ensure that the crew chief and the rest of the crew on helicopters, tracked vehicles, and light armored vehicles know that weapons on board are completely safe. As well, the current requirement for the breakdown of weapons being transported on commercial airlines could be obviated totally with use of the Saf-T-Round. Additionally, checking weapons in and out of the armory could be expedited with the presence of the Saf-T-Round, all the while reassuring the armorer that the weapons are safe.

When standing on post in nonhostile countries, the Saf-T-Round offers Marines an additional safe way to secure their weapons. Live ammunition may be authorized for posts in and outside of the United States, but it is not authorized to be loaded in chamber without a viable threat to the Marine or government property in some given situations. The existence of the Saf-T-Round in such a situation would be better than just having a magazine inserted into the weapon without any outward reassurance of a safe weapon. Once again the Saf-T-Round would assure the inspecting officer that the weapon is clearly safe by visual inspection without extensive physical inspection. For situations when one does not want to draw attention to the weapon, the Saf-T-Round is available in black.

Firearms training within the Marine Corps has evolved over the years into a highly developed process. Standing operating procedures are in place for very good reasons. The Saf-T-Round is designed as an additional standard control measure to enhance these rules and heighten safety awareness. The Saf-T-Round is not intended to short circuit basic firearms safety. In other words the Saf-T-Round is an adjunct, not a replacement, to intensive firearms training just as the airbag, shoulder harness, and lap belt are designed to supplement and not replace intensive driver safety instruction.

In summary, we cannot entirely eliminate human error or the precipitating forces of stress and fatigue. Nor can we hope to ever completely eradicate accidental discharge by rote methods of training, because in the final analysis accidental discharge always involves two elements—the weapon and the individual handling the weapon. Even our most intense training methods still leave us vulnerable to accidental discharge. However, by adopting truly effective loss prevention methods like functional load indicators (e.g., the Saf-T-Round), we can neutralize the forces that leave the door open for accidental discharge. By so doing I believe the employment of the Saf-T-Round would greatly contribute to the reduction of accidental discharge and as a result reduce the tremendous costs resulting from accidental discharges, such as acute and chronic medical care, short- and long-term disability, death gratuities, retraining, investigations, etc. Finally many readers may not be aware that the Saf-T-Round is now available through the Department of Defense supply system.

>Mr. Marshall served 8 years in the Marine Corps and is a licensed firearms instructor for the State of Tennessee.

::)

Why would you want to carry around a weapon that doesn't have a round in the chamber?  It is not "instantaneous availability and functionality of the weapon" if you have to action the weapon before firing.

Most NDs happen when there are BS rules like loading/unloading weapons at camp gates, entering buildings, DFACs, etc.  Action the weapon and leave it alone.

Makes sense....

Am I the only one wondering if the author has any stock in the company????

put a round in the chamber, put weapon on 'Safe". Weapon is harmless.

Want to keep accidents from happening with firearms? Do this:

Rule 1: All firearms are ALWAYS loaded, ALL the time.

Rule 2: NEVER let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy, or see dead.

Rule 3: Keep your finger OFF the trigger until your SIGHTS are on the target.

Rule 4: Be SURE of your target, and what is BEYOND it.

Here's a crazy idea - how 'bout we (as a military-type outfit) handle our firearms with enough frequency that we don't have to train troops over and over in what they do, and how they work? Maybe...I dunno...have it become SECOND-FUCKING-NATURE?

Gizmos, widgets, and gadgets are not the answer. Training is.

paracowboy said:

Rule 2: NEVER let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy, or see dead.

Here's a crazy idea - how 'bout we (as a military-type outfit) handle our firearms with enough frequency that we don't have to train troops over and over in what they do, and how they work? Maybe...I dunno...have it become SECOND-*******-NATURE?

+100%!!!!!!!!!!
First: As for handling firearms, why not issue blank ammo EVERY TIME you get your weapons (for anything other than live fire and drill, naturally)
So, you're in H1 on the way to J7.  You load the weapon in your room with a magazine holding 30 blank rounds.  Your BFA is attached.  You ready the weapon, you form up in a tactical formation (ack ack) and move in a tactical fashion to J7.  You enter the building, not making safe because you are already trained and have passed the handling test.  The weapons remain readied at the back of the class as you take your C6 GPMG class. 
Second: treat ALL NDs more seriously.  The fines/punishments awarded should reflect the serious nature of the offense (if convicted), the same seriousness as though you fired your weapon at the wrong time, injuring or killing a comrade, a civilian, or just letting loose, giving away your position in the ambush site, resulting in a horrible situation.  The troops will make mistakes (eg: NDs in J7 or worse), but given appropriate punishments, they will probably not EVER do it again, especially if given enough remedial weapons' handling training!
My $0.02 worth

I agree totally. I always tell my troops to have good muzzle control even in Garrison.If I see a troop swinging his or her rifle around having  poor muzzle control. I approach them and tell them the reasons why and to smarten up.

Para -  100+ %

The only way to do it.  There is no substitution for this.

paracowboy said:

Here's a crazy idea - how 'bout we (as a military-type outfit) handle our firearms with enough frequency that we don't have to train troops over and over in what they do, and how they work? Maybe...I dunno...have it become SECOND-*******-NATURE?

Damn, I would almost think this is being spoken by a true soldier! :eek: ;D

Actually, I couldn't have said it better. The more comfortable a person becomes with a loaded/readied weapon the less chance that person has of committing an ND. If people are not comfortable or competent with handling a loaded weapon then maybe it's time for a career change!

People follow drills without thinking about what they are doing as they have done it so many times before. Now throw in some stress and dial back everyones sleep.....

My father taught me weapon safety, and to this day I "say out loud" while clearing a weapon "feed path clear, chamber clear, weapon clear". Next time you are at the range watch people going through the motions because they have done the drills so many times.

Big Red said:
Most NDs happen when there are BS rules like loading/unloading weapons at camp gates, entering buildings, DFACs, etc.  Action the weapon and leave it alone.

Most effective strategy IMHO, if combined with the blanks at all times strategy.

Also, in regards to NDs, change the rules so that anyone can reccommend a charge for it, and have a universal punishment - officer or enlisted. It's the same crime.

Agree with all the comments 110%

I have had numerous arguements with more Snr. members of my former unit about having weapons out all the time, after about 4 yrs of repeating myself it finally became standard practice to have weapons out all the time when training.

Also, in regards to NDs, change the rules so that anyone can reccommend a charge for it, and have a universal punishment - officer or enlisted. It's the same crime.

Got to disagree with you, GO!!.  Let's say we set the fine for an ND at $1000.00 (completely hypothetically).  A Pte and a Capt both have an ND at the same time.  Which do you think will have their take home pay hurt worse by the $1000.00 fine?

There is also the issue of both responsibility that comes with rank and time in service.  Both have to be taken into account as well.  In summary, all things being equal, the longer you have been in and the higher your rank, the more expensive I think your ND should be.

During my infantry training at Petewawa 1994, when we had our weapons there was a Blank round in the chamber and 9 in the mag. But there was no B.F.A.

One day towards the end of my course, my section was sitting somewhere out in the mattawa plains taking a meal break I think. Details are a little sketchy. But what happened next I will never forget. We were told to safety our weapons.  We all started doing are safety and then all of a sudden a weapon discharges right between my head and another troops. With no B.F.A blanks are loud as hell. The other troop and I were all right, the other troop went to the medics to get his hearing checked. The troop who made the error while doing his safety dropped his weapon as soon as it happened. And then here come the instructors. The section was as quiet and still as I had ever seen them. We were told to stand up with our weapons above our heads, but the troop who had the discharge, refused to touch his weapon and was crying and shaking like nothing I have ever seen! The Mcpls and Sgts took the troop of to the side and went at him. I still can see him running with his weapon above his head crying and saying that he was scared of his weapon. He was never charged.

I agree 100% with having at least blanks in your weapon. We were issued 10 rounds at the start of the course, it was part of our kit.The weapons are always hot and must be treated accordingly! No room for error!

Hayter

SeaKingTacco said:
Got to disagree with you, GO!!.  Let's say we set the fine for an ND at $1000.00 (completely hypothetically).  A Pte and a Capt both have an ND at the same time.  Which do you think will have their take home pay hurt worse by the $1000.00 fine?

There is also the issue of both responsibility that comes with rank and time in service.  Both have to be taken into account as well.  In summary, all things being equal, the longer you have been in and the higher your rank, the more expensive I think your ND should be.

I agree with that.  Perhaps Paracowboy GO!!  does to, in that the punishment be universal, not to a common amount, but to a common percentage of Pay.  If all knew that they would be fined 50% of their months pay for an ND, that may have a dramatic affect on how they would view it.

I like the idea of a sliding scale based on experience Time In and rank, too.
More TI, and/or higher rank = mo' money, mofo!

Big Red said:
::)

I don't think rules at gates to certain zones (when there is proper sand bagged unload bays is BS). Due to OPSEC I will not discuss the SOPs where I am at, but wherever I am, it does make sense. Even with these tight regualtions, we had a UD which cost a young soldier his life earlier this year with a 9mm Vigilante pistol (Browning HP MkIII). The BOI is still ongoing with that one (google 'Jake Kovco' for more info, but horseplay is the most likely result in this instance).

There is a time and place for a hot weapon, and behind gates in 'safe' zones, in your barracks or DFAC is not one of them. One has to take into effect cleaning (SBF and SAF), and of course the proper drills (DOWRs), which is only re-inforced with correct training and familiarisation.  After many UD's in Timor L'este in 1999/2000, Army put out a policy that all units would carry their weapons around (regardless of unit), with blank ammo. Over time the UD dropped almost to nil.

A UD here regardless of rank, will buy you a one way ticket home and loss of $$$$ tax free bucks. Regardless of rank.

+1 for Paracowboy who hit it all right on the nose.

Cheers,

Wes

SeaKingTacco said:

I should have clarified.

When I say a "common punishment" I mean a percentage, not a fixed amount. Both the Captain and Pte. would lose a third of their monthly pay, and get some extra duties etc.

The current system, which can see the same two NDs resulting in one of the individuals getting a $1000 fine and a stern talking to from the man, and the other being fined $1000 and spending 14 days in the defaulters room. Which punishment is more severe, given that the Captain makes 60K and the Pte makes 38K, and the jacking only lasts a few minutes?

I for one don't see why an officer can't be put on defaulters.

Officer on defaulters? 
A few years ago, I was on parade (in FFO) and my respirator carrier had dirt on it.  I know, I know, for shame!  My OC didn't notice, but the CQMS did and "told on me" :D
Later that day, my OC asked me about it, I said yes, I had dirt on my carrier.  He then threatened to have me put on defaulters, eg: have the BOS conduct inspections on me.  I only said "yeah, right, like THAT will ever happen", but it came out more like "yes, sir".  Anyway, knowing this OC, he's also the guy who when I was assisting officer ragged me out for not telling him what the accused defence was to be for his charge parade ahead of time.  In other words, he thought that my job was to spy on the poor lad, get info out of him, and tell him what was going to be said, the whole "without prejudice" thing be damned!
So, I guess I mean to say that if an officer goes on defaulters, I suppose that the adjutant or orderly officer would be conducting the inspections, in the officer's lines, of course.
But as a punishment for an ND, defaulters would be weak. 

I train soldiers and I find that the best way to get rid of ND is to make the soldiers very, very proffecient with weapons. In initial trg (BMQ-DP1 INF) they are proned to make mistakes and have ND. IMO, having an ND with a blank round in trg and then charging the soldier is a good learning tool. I have rarely seen repeat offenders. Trained and expirienced soldiers having ND? Thats a different matter. Expirience, the weapons system, fatigue, complacency, etc play a role in the incidents. ALWAYS ALERT and KNOW YOUR WEAPONS!

Back