• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Training Question

Braydon619

Inactive
Reaction score
Hello everyone, this is my first post on this site, I've been a reader for some time. So i just thought I'd say hi to everyone.

Recently (2 days ago), i finally finished my papers and got them sent away so I'm really excited to be joining a great team.

My question now is, I'm not a person who is in overly great shape and I'm working on my running as much as my legs will let me, but I've been running on a treadmill at a local gym. I've been reading some forums and what not about people saying how treadmill's aren't the best for running, but it's cold outside where i live in Manitoba and when i started trying to run i could only go 2 blocks before my lungs would make me stop Because of the cold. Is running on a treadmill to try and increase my running abilities a bad thing or will it help some? i started out really weak at running about a week ago, but I'm up too about a 1.5km's at 8.0km/hr speed on the treadmill. I haven't tried running outside in about a week so I'm not sure how far i could now that I've increased a bit on the treadmill. Does anyone have any advice if i should keep doing it on the treadmill for awhile until the weather is a bit warmer or am i wasting my time running on the treadmill? I'm hoping i don't have to go to BMQ until summer time so it'll give me some time to train outside to actually know my distance and everything, but for now while it's winter do you think running on a treadmill is better then nothing?

Oh and by the way for more info, I'm currently 5'9" and about 240 pounds.

Any help is greatly appreciated and thank you!

YES!  You should continue with the treadmill. Since you're heavy, try swimming and a stationary bike as well, as starting to run from nothing when you weigh as much as you do, can be risky on your knees.  It is also a means of keeping variety in your workout, which is important; it keeps it interesting.

Although it isn't quite like running outside, it is indeed better than nothing.  Also, work on your upper body strength, with pushups and chinups.

I enrolled obese and out of shape.  It was difficult but I got thru.  I'm still somewhat wide, but mainly muscle.  Best of luck.

I enlisted at 5'9, and 270lbs.... end of battle school I was down to 200 lbs.  I have put about 20 lbs back on since getting to battalion since courses have interfered with morning PT, but that will be changing on my own accord.  Hate running after supper, but I have to start doing something.  I don't want to end up like I was before I joined.

Yes braydon you should most definately continue running on the treadmill. Depending on what your doing right now (work,school etc.) you should be finding an ample amount of time for that treadmill.

I am also training right now for BMQ, I am hoping to start sometime in February so if all goes well and Im lucky I can finish DP1 before next winter.
I have a treadmill too and I have just set up a 2 month exercise regime to get fit in time for BMQ.

if you are dead serious about getting right into shape for this you should look into eating right aswell.
There are several threads on this forum with links and information about eating right and exercising and getting into shape, you should be able to set up a schedule that can get you where you want to be by summer time.

If you would like, since we are in a similiar situation, send me a PM, and I can show you what I have planned over the next couple months maybe it will help you in making a schedule.

good luck

Learning to run in the cold is no mean trick.  Don't run outdoors when it is -20 or colder.  Also, the main reason you "burn out" your lungs, even at temps above zero, is that you are breathing in through your mouth.  Cool, or cold, air is getting sucked directly into your lungs.  If you breath through your nose, it is warmed and will cause a lot less damage.  In through the nose, out through the mouth.......sound familiar?

Lots of good advice on Training on this site.  Have a look.

haha yeah thanks, i do know about the nose and mouth thing, even then it still hurts but i also only was just starting to try and run and only did it about 4 times... I've been going to to gym for over a week now everyday and think my endurance has improved quite a bit since then, one day when it's a warmer day I'm gonna try a run again outside just to see if the gym equipment has helped me at all.

Braydon619,

I highly recommend Crossfit. http://www.crossfit.com/

While running is important (and the army will expect you to do it), it is not IMHO the most efficient way to get fit.  Check out the crossfit workout of the day and scale it to your ability.

It is my opinion that in your specific situation crossfit will make you a better runner then running will.

A bold statement, no?

But at 5'9" and 240lbs you'll have to take your running very slow in order to avoid injuring yourself.  Running puts alot of jarring weight on your joints that your body probably isn't used to.  The time it will take for your body to heal between exercise sessions will probably be what slows your progression the most.

Crossfit on the other hand, gets your heartrate up to burn fat, but it spreads the stress on your body around to other places besides just your legs. For example, the workout of the day for November 30th 2008:

"Tabata Something Else"

Complete 32 intervals of 20 seconds of work followed by ten seconds of rest where the first 8 intervals are pull-ups, the second 8 are push-ups, the third 8 intervals are sit-ups, and finally, the last 8 intervals are squats. There is no rest between exercises.

That's a pretty intense workout, and one that I'd have to scale down for my own ability.  I could do maybe 4 intervals of each exercise. But the key is not in the numbers, it's in the intensity.  If you do that workout as hard and as fast as you can, your heartrate will be up as if you just ran a mile as fast as you could.  But the wear and tear on your joints will be spread throughout your whole body as opposed to just your knees, ankles, and back.  

You'll lose weight faster because you can burn more calories without injury, and then you can get into running longer distances safely.  That's my theory. Thoughts, anyone?

Back