• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Training in summer vs weekends

dr.no

Inactive
Reaction score
From what I've gathered at the recruiting office and here on the boards, the fact that you can train in the summer or on weekends is fairly well known. What I'm asking is.... Which one is better?

Full time course. 10 weeks. No "going home after 2 days". Really get the experience. You cant do that on weekends. not that you wont learn. Its just that its "different" Id go with the normal fulltime/away from home course. Its all about what your looking to get though.

Doing it straight will be harder. Because its non stop and you dont get much time to relax.

All of my training has been done full time.  I think that is the best way to do it if you possibly can.  I believe the training you get is better, as well, the camaraderie is so much more.

Is there any benefits  to doing it full time compared to weekends?

Training straight is the only way to go. You will get fit faster, its more realistic, you wont be distracted by civy things, you wont have to travel all over the place, you will get bigger lump sum pay checks, youll have very little time to spend those lump sums, you'll finish the course faster, lol the list goes on and on.

Weekend training just does not sound right to me. For me, the idea of going through that kind of trianing is to accept the challenge of having it difficult and hard. In my mind it is somthing that I am not sure  I can do, but I want see what I am made of. Having an instructor say to me:

"That's it LanceaLot, I am sick of your attitude! I am going to make you do push ups until pay day!!!!.....ding!....When you get back next weekend that is."

Just does not have the same effect. Doing it on the weekend would be less of a mental challenge I think...but maybe there are people here who have actually gone through it and disagree.

The nice thing about wekend training is that, for those joining partway through the year, it allows them to be fully qualified by the end of that summer. I did my BMQ on weekends and evenings. My SQ was my first full time course, from june through til a week and a half ago. I'm now doing my infantry course.

Adapting to full-time training can be hard- some won't be able to handle having the tougher SQ course as their first full time run, particulary those unused to being away form home. If you can make the adjustment, though, it's nice to have all the qualifications done by the end of the summer.

It's a matter of preference, really. I've got a few people on my course now who did full-time BMQ from late May-June, SQ from June- late July, and are now on full time infantry course, so they're on their 9th or 10th straight week of training. I can almost imagine it being difficult to go back to normal life after that long a session of training...

Brihard said:
ho did full-time BMQ from late May-June, SQ from June- late July, and are now on full time infantry course, so they're on their 9th or 10th straight week of training. I can almost imagine it being difficult to go back to normal life after that long a session of training...

Holy CRAP!! How do you guys get through 3 courses in 10 weeks? Basic is that long itself!! Then NETP( The navy's SQ) Is 7 and my QL was 8!!Thats 25 weeks(full time)! And you guy can do it in 10? Im only a lowly 1 hook but that boggles my mind...

Wow I wonder what they cut out in your courses. By the way that 25 weeks was the Navy reserves. The NETP portion for reservists isnt usually that long. Mine was abnormal. We had  1 weeks of weapons. Usually they don't have any in NETP. Its called Mod'4'. And Your supposed to do it at your unit.

Do you still need to get the haircut if you do weekends?

Yes, haircuts standards are the same for part-time and fulltime service.

Do you have to do basic before anything else, or is there something I can do while waiting for next summer?

You can do training in your unit. Borden runs basic training courses year round for reservists. You could run that by your seniors. But generally Basic is first. thats why its called "Basic"

While I agree full-time training would be the better choice... some people just do not have that luxury to do a full time training... hence the reserve 'part-time' weekend training.

It's as simple as that, if we wanted or could go full time... we probably would have joined reg-force.

Back