• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

TOW Under Armour

stollhofen

Inactive
Reaction score
Just wondering if this weapon system is a Canadian invention ? Have we ever fired this system in anger ? and lastly is it any good ? Thanks

I have some questions of my own out of curiosity:
1- What other vehicle other than the M113 carries the TOW in the CF?
2- How long does it take to reload?

Thanks.

Well the current Platform it is mounted on is are the LAV III TUA the M113 TUA (thought they all could have been replaced now by the former) and of course dismounted systems.

Reload times depend on the crew I don't think I have ever seen a set CF standard time for it.

Though since you seem to write in perfectly good English I don't see why you wrote your questions in french. And the q at the end baffles me.

The system has more then 1 missle loaded... the system can fire off more than 1 in rapid succession if required before needing to be reloaded, at which point would require the crew to expose themselves.

I'm a french Canadian and I consider myself bilingual.
I play TACOPS sometimes and it always baffled me how many TOW missiles could be launch without needing any reload... (I know its just a game...)

Thanks

BestodaBest said:
The system has more then 1 missle loaded... the system can fire off more than 1 in rapid succession if required before needing to be reloaded, at which point would require the crew to expose themselves.

I am not sure where your getting your info on the TOW missle however it is a wire guided missile and as such only 1 missile can be fired at time until impact and the max flight time takes well it's not a fast missile either so I would not call it rapid fire succession by any means.

As for reloading exposed the M113 TUA had a large shield so that the tubes could be reloaded under cover. I assume the LAV III TUA would have at least the same system or better in it now.

nihilpavor said:
I'm a french Canadian and I consider myself bilingual.
I play TACOPS sometimes and it always baffled me how many TOW missiles could be launch without needing any reload... (I know its just a game...)

Thanks

Je m'excuse mon amis

this is all true; "rapid succession" may have been a poor selection of words... the point i was trying to get across is that there was no need to get out of the vehicle in order to prep/load another missle; but of course, it is necessary to wait until the initial missle is splashed before firing again.

Also, i did happen to know about the cover offered on the M113, although it did not come to mind... the vehicle that i was picturing was the LAV, as it appears to have very little to no cover offered for when it comes time to reload. But of course, i could be wrong.

HitorMiss said:
Je m'excuse mon amis

Don't worry about it. I could become an armour officer eventually and I'm curious about things that could kill me...  :skull:

When you talk about slow flight speed... How slow can that be? How long does it take to fly it's whole 3.75 km range?

I honestly haven't the faintest clue... im sure there are many forums on the site regarding things of this manner...

i think your looking at around 10sec for it to reach out to 3km... maybe more

OK I should do my own research...

According to Jane's:
"The BGM-71E TOW 2A has the same dimensions as TOW 2 but has an enhanced warhead for use against reactive armour. This warhead has a weight of 6.09 kg and the total missile weight is increased to 22.7 kg. This version has an improved K-41 solid-propellant motor, which accelerates the missile to 310 m/s. The maximum range is 4 km, and the BGM-71E missile takes 21 seconds to reach 3.75 km."

20 second flight time to the 3.75km max range plus 1.5 second delay after pressing the trigger.

Try 11.5 seconds

You're cleary out of your lane, about time you sum up on this topic.

how do u figure im off by 11.5 seconds? i posted 10 seconds for "3km" if you bothered to read carefully. i would be off by 11 sec if i said 3.75km, as said in the original post.

If you want to be a real jerk, then lets do the math.

The missle reaches 3.75km in 21 sec

So how long till it reaches 3km?

3.75 / 5 = 0.75km
0.75 = 1/5th The Distance

21 / 5 = 4.2 sec
4.2 = 1/5th The Time

0.75 x 4 = 3km
4.2 x 4 = 16.8 sec

Therefore, the missle will reach the range of 3km in 16.8 seconds.

...And would you look at that?

BestodaBest said:
hmm... so i was off by about 5 or 6 seconds...

Turns out, i was off by approximately 0.8 sec from my 1st correction.

So, all in all, i was off by 6.8 sec, your off by more, and need serious help with your math skills.

You feel dumb now.

Regards.

BestodaBest.......

Go have a nap.....all math asside you are acting like a complete tool.  You've never used TOW in your life.......quit before someone who has tears you a new one

army.ca staff

Hmmm dumd no, you see I have something you haven't....wanna guess what that is???

Oh it's the Anti Armour course, I have actualy used a TOW and a TUA  ::)

I wont argue your math skills though I haven't the time or the inclination to do so, but I will still tell you to sum up on this topic as you really are far outside your lane. But hey thanks for coming out.

Back