• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Too Big/Tall for Armoured?

Did you try going to www.forces.ca and check out the Job Explorer? It has all the info you need for each specific trade, including a video which shows what you do and interviews some of the people who do it. I also found a couple .pdf files containing the info for 2 of your possible trades:

Armored Solder: http://www.forces.ca/media/_PDF/011_en.pdf
Artillery Soldier - Field Defence: http://www.forces.ca/media/_PDF/021_en.pdf

The next time you are at the Recruiting Centre ask for more information and if you want to talk to soldier  within a specific occupation request to do so. If at all possible your Recruiting Centre will "hook you up" with someone within the occupations you are interested in.

Best of Luck on your processing. 

SinnerSaint said:
I have read the military info on each job spec and they all appeal to my intrests but I know there has to be more info that I could obtain from a direct sort of contact with a possible member who has complete or currently going through these fields.
Lavitz said:
Did you try going to www.forces.ca and check out the Job Explorer?
I think he has read the propaganda, and he's looking for the ground truth ;D (Ground?  Army?  Get it?  :rofl:)
Anyway, for SinnerSaint, there are many MANY aspects to all of these trades.  So perhaps instead of asking for "more info", maybe you have some specific questions in mind?  I mean, are you looking at travel opportunities, what the training is like, what garrison life is like, the prospects for promotion, etc etc.

I hope this helps

as a newly qualified gunner, I can tell you that joining the P.Res FD Artillery as a NCM was one of the best decisions that I have made. There is a lot of knowledge thrown at you during your trades course if you are offered an Arty position.

The history of the RCA and 2 Horse is rich and something to be proud of although the Dragoons will boost about how they saved a gun during the Boer war.

What I do on a daily basis could be anything from doing a salute on any of Canada's significant dates to maintenance of the howitzers. I am not sure how the Reg.F operates daily, but I assume it is rather close in terms of daily routines. Field ex's are extremely fun, and the best part about it other then firing at a target 11K away is that your gun tractors hump your kit for you ;) Being an arty soldier doesn't limit you only to arty operations or ex's. At my unit we have received spots on a variety of different tasking.

The only con I can think of right away of being a FD Arty Soldier is that the skill sets you can obtain through your training do not really transfer nicely over to the civy side of things in terms of employment skill sets.

Further Training:

In the artillery there are several courses you can take.
- Recce Tech -> Marking suitable gun positions for when the guns come into action. Req'd for recording the gun.
- CP Tech -> The Command Post is responsible for communications, interputating the data sent from the FOO's and sending it to the gunline.
- FOO Tech -> Assisting the Officers in calling in artillery strikes and other fun things I am not entirely sure about.
- Gunline -> Self explanatory

There is much more to the courses mentioned above, that was just a very simple outline of routes you can take in the artillery world as a NCM. I can't speak of the other two selections you have made since I have absolutely no experience with either. I hope this helps out a little, not that in depth but hopefully it will shed some light onto your question.

Good Luck and Cheers,

NightSins said:
The history of the RCA and 2 Horse is rich and something to be proud of although the Dragoons will boost about how they saved a gun during the Boer war.

psst...... The Engineers rescued the guns twice.......

;D

NightSins said:
The history of the RCA and 2 Horse is rich and something to be proud of

What about the history of 1 Horse ? Is it not something to be proud of as well ?

NightSins said:

That was two 'guns' during the Boer War, and actually three if one considers the Colt MG that was the "real gun" in this story of how Sgt Holland earned the VC, .........And then there was a Bty during the Great Gagetown Fire in 1985.  The Dragoons seem to make a habit of "Saving the HA's Guns".

Perhaps you should pay a little more attention to detail in your history lessons.

Here's a link on 2 RCHA

http://www.army.forces.gc.ca/land-terre/units-unites/unit-unite-eng.asp?id=586

I am an Armoured Officer, that came up through the ranks and can answer almost any question you might have about it. Just ask away or PM me if you feel better doing it that way.
I can say this though, there are 3 great Regiments (which I am sure you found out in the pamphlets) The RCD in Petewawa, LdSH(RC) in Edmonton, and the 12RBC in Valcartier (very close to Quebec city). As I said all 3 are great Regiments with a tremendous amount of pride, they will all have tanks again in the future, a deciding factor for an Armoured Regiment or the RCHA's could be location! LCIS you can pretty much end up anywhere we have soldiers.

First off thank you everyone for the replies and history lesson.
I am currently tossed between Armoured soldier and Artillery at the moment LCIS is one of those 3rd choice fill in types of deals. and yes I am pretty much intrested in the real info not all stated in the propaganda pamphlets of our military.

What is the MOC training like for these jobs much pratical or alot of theory work?

Living and accomodation like within the bases?

How long till I can be deployed in either job?

I am 6ft 3 how well am I gonna fit in a leopard..etc tank.

well thank you guys once again for your time and if any one can give further insight into any of these questions or further insight period into the jobs in question I will gladly appreciate it. I got about two more days till I have my school transcripts and sending in my application.

Also one other thing do u get accepted for only one choice of jobs or say can I be accepted for all three and get to choose?
As well do I know which before the interview or should I keep researching all three fields for my interview?

Thank you all once again. :cdn: :threat: :cdn:

Hey everybody!!

Rowshambow I read your post and you mentioned that every regiment will have tanks again in the future. I just signed up and am leaving for my BMQ on October 5th. I'll be an armoured crewman and I have a strong interest in tanks. It was the deciding factor which made me sign up. As for now to the best of my knowledge only the Royal Canadians have tanks so I was really leaning towards trying to get stationed in Edmonton which is quite far away from everything I know coming from southern Ontario. Petawawa "only" has Coyotees, right? At what point do you think they'll be receiving heavy armour again? Also what are my chances of getting into one of them? But as of now what would my chances even be of getting assigned to Edmonton after all my training is done? In short: What can I do to get put into a Leopard 1 or 2 over a Coyote or any other form of wheeled vehicle?

ps. I am also 6'2" but I figured if that was a problem I would not have been offered a contract as armoured crewman, am I right?

~thanks for any and all information in advance

Hey all;

Well I am not sure when the tanks will be given back to the Regt's we were just told that it will be happening. Keep in mind the "new" Leo 2's are still hiding in the east waiting for some "Canadian parts" to be put on, so it might be a little while.
As for MOC trg, well you continue DP1 learning weapons, communications etc, almost like an extended basic of sorts, there are a few members that are on here that are prob a little more in tune as they would be your instructors. There is practical and theory, i.e. learn about something in a classroom and then apply it, I can't say it's 60/40 or whatever because I do not know.
Living conditions on the base, while trg is dorm style, eat at the mess, usually weekends off (as long as you don't mess up during the week and piss of the course staff) haha but it's all about camaraderie. When you get to a regt (in Edmonton at least) you still live in barracks, maybe 2 to a room with a private shower/shitter. If you are married than you can ask for a PMQ (married quarters) and maybe get it if any are avail, or you could live out in the city (if you are married), single guys can ask to move out usually after a waiting period. I never know why single guys want to move out right away, because you don't know the city yet. No sense living south side if you spend all your time in the north etc (I am talking about Edmonton only)
As for deployment, well you need to get to a Regt first, then by the time that happens you might not get deployed for awhile, if at all it all depends on where your Regt is at in regards to trg and what roto they are doing. Sure we are in Afghan today, but who knows what is around the corner? different places maybe, when I first joined Bosnia was the "big thing"
As for height, you guys are tall, I had a friend during my MOC trg that was 6' 4", he was huge! But he dealt with it, I am not sure but I think both are too tall for the LEO 2 dvr seats, and if you are lucky enough to get a gunner spot you might be lucky to have a short ass Commander like me.
I too was from southern Ontario, born and raised. I was supposed to be badged RCD and then my whole course went LdSH(RC) It was the best thing that ever happend to me, I love the west, I like to be able to go to a bar and not bump into a pack of army guys hitting on 1 chick. I like having neighbours that are not military. I like the fact that my wife can put her degree to use. (not saying you can't in other areas, but with a city of 1 mil plus, the job prospects are a little better.) I like that I can travel a few hours and be in the mountains and go skiing. The only thing that I truly miss are the lakes.
I like my job, I like the big guns, I like the rumble of the vehicles, I like to be able to shoot something and see the effects of my rounds, I like the soldiers I work with, I like the brothers and sisters I have in the other Regt's. I have met awesome people, I have travelled around the world on and off taskings. Some days are good, some days are bad. One thing I like about Armoured is I get to see everything, I get to see the Infantry kicking in the doors, I see the Sappers blowing up obstacle's etc, I get to see the Arty rain steel on objectives, I get to shoot at almost everything.
In short(ish) I love my job, I know there are others that love their trades too, you have to decide what you want to get out of your career. You have to decide (and you might not even get it) where you want to be posted. The needs of the army at the time will decide where you will go, but this is true of all trades in the military!

I'll chime in a bit on this one.  Tanks are in Edmonton and we've be "told" they are coming back here to Pet.  Will it happen? Probably.  Will it happen within the next few years?  I doubt it.  That's complete speculation on my part but it seems to be the overwhelming opinion of most of the other guys around the regiment.  In short if you're looking to get on tanks go Strats. 

Armoured school was like 14 weeks long when I went through a few years ago and I honestly have no idea how long it is these days.  If you're wondering what the course is like wait till you get on your BMQ.  As your getting yelled at and c*cked around......multiply it by about 10 and thats what you can expect at the armoured school.  You'll learn radios, AFV recognition, driver wheel on another vehicle such as ML, LS, G wagon etc, your SQ stuff like machine guns and heavier weapons, and you learn Coyote D&M.

Head over to the armoured board on this site and it will give you the full run down of dp1. 

If you've got anymore questions PM me and I'll answer what I can.

Thanks for your time and information both Rowshambow and RCDtpr!

If at 6'2"/6'3" I am too tall for the driver seat of a tank will I automatically be assigned to a different position within the tank or is the driver seat for the Coyote roomier and therefore that's what I'll be assigned to? How is being "too tall" for the driver seat evaluated? My comfort level or will I seriously just not fit into the space?

I would feel kind of mislead if I went through all the training and committing to an armoured trade if I can't do what I signed up for. Or at least have a shot at it.

I'm not an Armoured guy but from what I've seen theres some taller guys who are drivers.  Also I'm 6'1 an I've driven the Bison an TLAV with no issues. No matter how tall/short you are its going to be cramped in the drivers area.  If you aren't obese you will fit.

Thanks for the reassuring words man. It would really kill me to not be able to pursue my dream because I'm a tall...

Any more information is sure to be soaked up and would be appreciated. Thanks for all so far guys!

Rowshambow and RCDtpr I am just a fly on the wall, but thank you for your posts!  :salute:

Yes taller folks can fit into a TLAV, Bison, but that's not our main vehicle platforms! You can also fit in a Coyote (for now), and also the LAV TOW, if you are too tall for a driver spot, there are still other options within the trade (gunner, transport, TOW, etc). There are height restrictions with the Leo 2 drivers, it's a completely different seating system than the Leo 1, but like I said we might not see them for awhile until all mods are done etc, and by that time you might already be a gunner, or loader, or not even in a tank!
Anyways good luck on course, remember its only a course, Regimental life is different than course life!

Hey everybody,

I just signed my 3 year contract and am heading out to St. Jean for my BMQ on October 4th. I'll eventually be an armoured crewman and was really hoping to make my way into some sort of tracked vehicle, preferably a Leopard. I have had a strong passion for tanks since I was a kid and it was the deciding factor for me joining. Now I have stumbled across sources saying I am or might be too tall for the drivers position of the tank. I am 6'2"/6'3" and fairly skinny at only 175 pounds. Would I be excluded from driving a tank? I know my dad is about 6 feet and he drove a Leopard 1 back in the 70s in Germany. Coyotees and LAVs aren't so much a concern for me because to be honest I couldn't care less if I am too tall for them haha. No offense they're just not what I am aiming for.

Any information on this subject would be greatly appreciated!

Romeo88 said:
Hey everybody,

I just signed my 3 year contract and am heading out to St. Jean for my BMQ on October 4th. I'll eventually be an armoured crewman and was really hoping to make my way into some sort of tracked vehicle, preferably a Leopard. I have had a strong passion for tanks since I was a kid and it was the deciding factor for me joining. Now I have stumbled across sources saying I am or might be too tall for the drivers position of the tank. I am 6'2"/6'3" and fairly skinny at only 175 pounds. Would I be excluded from driving a tank? I know my dad is about 6 feet and he drove a Leopard 1 back in the 70s in Germany. Coyotees and LAVs aren't so much a concern for me because to be honest I couldn't care less if I am too tall for them haha. No offense they're just not what I am aiming for.

Any information on this subject would be greatly appreciated!
A lot has changed since 1975,ask george Wallace. ;)

The restriction on Leopard drivers is for safety.The Leopard 2A6M had a "swing" seat.The Germans have come out IIRC last year and said that yes there is a height restriction.I cannot remember the exact size but do remember it was 5 foot something.Im not at work right now so I cant find out.

Joining the armored corp to be on tanks is a recipe for a crappy career.I spent 6 years on them then was sent to recce for 4 then back on tanks for a tour then guess what...back to recce.

Not to mention some regiments will not have tanks,and tanks are a small part of the regiment.

Long gone are the days of a armored regiment having a tank squadron.

DO NOT JOIN IF YOU ONLY WANT TANKS!You may never step foot on one in your career.

At your height you will not be able to drive a leo 2A6M.

Back