• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Too Big/Tall for Armoured?

BluenoserGuy

Inactive
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

This is my first post on this forums.  First I'd like to say i LOVE this site great job guys.  I searched a few times but couldn't find this question specifically, but  I am wondering if anyone know any dimensions of any armored vehicle ini the CF.  I am pondering about joining rag-force as a "Armored Soldier" and being a....bigger lad (6'1 270lbs but working on it  ;D)....was wondering if i could breathe in a LAV or the Leopard's.  All i can think about is being a "Armored Soldier" since i saw the recruting video, and not knowing much about the CF armor situation it's amazing.

Thanks in advance.

6'1"... nothing special
270 lbs... need a bit of sliming (esp if you say so)

There are plenty of soldiers that have your height & girth - though it may be packaged up a little firmer on most... but, for the most part, they all fit into the vehicles currently in service.

a couple of sites to visit & peruse:
(http://www.army.forces.gc.ca/lf/English/2_5.asp)

http://www.answers.com/topic/leopard-2

Girth is a bigger problem than height for vehicles.

Consider this - if your chariot takes a hit and starts to burn - you've got to be able to get the hell out in no time flat. And, the environment you're jumping out into may not be much nicer. So, you've probably got to add a Helmet, weapon, Tac Vest and body armour onto your current size/weight - and the width of that hatch is now looking smaller.

Also - in support of my people - trying to lift a casualty up through a hatch is hard enough - no need to make it any more complex.

I wouldn't say that you're the tallest I've seen in either a tank or Coyote....but the girth is the thing I'd worry about.

Anyone over a 46" chest before putting on your vest will have a hard time.

Before you ask, no you can't take out the plates.        ;)

'yotes are tight for everyone regardless of height, it just gets worse the taller you are.

As for panzers, there is a bit more room but not much.

If you're saying that you're a "bigger lad" I'd get to work on that before you get to your future Regiment.

Staff Weenie......Armour crews don't wear tacvests in the hatches. There isn't enough room.

Regards

Ooops - had been hearing some info on egress issues WRT all the gear tps were wearing, and a fatality partly due to it slowing somebody down. Never 'assume' anything.....my bad

In St-Jean there is a armored officer that his like 6'6"-6"8, altought he was pretty slim, I heard him say once that he was not paid for being comfortable....

so height is not a issue.

For the girth...not comfy at all....

:)

Sweet thanks for the fast reply s.  I look forward to being part of the team soon....going to see the recruiter tomorrow  :salute:

Sorry to go off on a tangent. I searched regarding 'cramped' when it came to LAV's, and was linked to a thread which only allowed posting of articles, not comments. My question is if Armour, which I'm interested in, would be a good choice for a guy who's 6'4? My friend is in infantry and is biased but tells me Armour vehicles are cramped for him(he's 5'11).

Thanks.

It should go without saying that, the taller you get, the potential for discomfort increases as does the potential for serious injury in AFV.  Not all AFV are equipped with a safety cage and an overtall crewman may find a leg hanging out at the wrong time.  Seats will only go back or go down so far; turrets are only so tall and hatches down means hatches closed.  Hatches up may be problematic as only the eyes should be above armour; tall guys sometimes have to crouch.

I've worked with a few armour soldiers your size and taller so you'd hardly be the first or only tall guy to venture into tanks.  Just don't expect me to stop laughing because at the end of a trace you're standing around like the Hunchback of Notre Dame.

In my LAV we have a guy thats 6'7" (and a gunner).  He gets uncomfortable but makes do.

Myself, I am 6ft, 48" chest, 38" waist, and I am attached to an Armoured Unit, using our version  of a LAV25, so it can be a tight squeeze in the driver's spider hole, but O/S in Iraq, with ECBA on etc, it was at times like shoving a marshmellow into a piggybank.

At 6-4, you'll be fine, as we had some tall guys with us too.

Wesley  Down Under said:
Myself, I am 6ft, 48" chest, 38" waist, and I am attached to an Armoured Unit, using our version  of a LAV25, so it can be a tight squeeze in the driver's spider hole, but O/S in Iraq, with ECBA on etc, it was at times like shoving a marshmellow into a piggybank.

You crack me up!!! :rofl:

Im 6'3", 260lbs with a 50inch chest
I fit in the gunner, and drivers holes of a leopard just fine, fint nicely inside a lav turret and drivers hole.
dont worry about  your height man, pick you career on what you want to do not on how tall and how comfortable you want to be

Being 5' 8" I found the CC position cramped when I had SAS in the turret.  That calls for a monitor blocking your view of the Gunner, an extra box under your feet and another extra box under your seat.  When "Hatches Down" I would litterally have my knees in my face when using my sights.

The Gunner has more room with less boxes around him/her.  The Dvr always has lots of room..... ;D  The GIB lives in luxury with a Captains Chair, and all the extra kit packed on top of him to keep him safe in case of a rollover...... ;D

Troop Officer's quite often don't have to worry too much about size, as their tenure in the Troops is sometimes very short.

I have a friend that is 6'7"" he fits in the coyote fine, a little cramped, but its what he wanted to do!

Rowshambow said:
I have a friend that is 6'7"" he fits in the coyote fine, a little cramped, but its what he wanted to do!

Where does he fit in a Coyote?  That is the question.

The only thing you need to know about the Armoured Corps is that gravy is a beverage, not a condiment.  ;D

Just yesterday I went to the recruitment office and started my enrollment I am going through some of the paperwork now.

I just also realized that the three jobs I am intrested in are all priority jobs at the moment.
Armored Soldier
Artillery Soldier-Field Defence
Land Communications and Information sytsems Tech

I was wondering if there where any memebers on that could possibly give me a bit more in-depth information about these trade/jobs.
I have read the military info on each job spec and they all appeal to my intrests but I know there has to be more info that I could obtain from a direct sort of contact with a possible member who has complete or currently going through these fields.

Thank you for any response to help me.

Back