• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Tom Clancy

Yes it was in bad taste..considering we have folks there dying and going through PTSD because they may have had to kill someone. Thank you for your apology.

Shamrock...

In regards to yr comment/question about Clancy using ghost writers, see my post  (number 64) on this thread.  I've heard this from several sources and seen it on the net as well.

It's also plastered on the front of his books. He's one of the few authors who gives his ghostwriters front page billing (some don't even give credit).

Pte. Pukepail said:
So I don't think it's fair to say B2Z is total fiction...semi-fiction, sure.  Not total fiction though.
The fact still remains that book stores do not have a "semi-fiction" section, and I would rather read an entertaining book written by a man who tells everyone that his stories are fiction, than by a man that tells everyone that his stories are non-fiction when it has been proven that they are, in fact, fiction.
Pte. Pukepail said:
Look, events may have been skewed in B2Z to make McNabb look like some kind of hero, but the fact remains that the mission did happen.  Maybe not a hundred percent accurately portrayed in the book, but the fact that it did happen means the story is at least based on factual events.  That's WAAAAAY more than I can say for any Clancy TOTAL fiction.  The only thing in those books that are remotely factual is the fact that the stories are based on Earth.  So I don't think it's fair to say B2Z is total fiction...semi-fiction, sure.  Not total fiction though.
Basically you are saying that something that could happen or might happen is entirely fictional to something that never happened?

Anyways enough of that, I just finished reading the Cardinal and the Kremlin and that is probably my second favorite Clancy book now, after the Hunt for Red October. The Splinter Cell books are pretty good too.

I also like that before he wrote HFRO he was an insurance salesman.

Has anyone read "Shadow Warriors" yet?  I have it on my shelf but didn't get into it yet...

No doubt I will be stoned and burned in effigy for this question but it kind of begs to be asked anyway...

Does it matter whether someone writes many (or one) book...As long as the work is good and the reader is entertained? I agree that FICTION should be labelled as such (I am never more disappointed to find something that I thought was real is, in fact not) and that non-fiction is likewise labelled as such...But I guess then every non-fiction book would have to be proven...

For myself...I happen to like the Tom Clancy books (with the exception of the Netforce series) and do buy his stuff when it comes out. The same with Stephen Hunter (Bob Lee/Earl Swagger) and will happily sit and chew the same covers many times over.

Rant done...Well not really a rant, just a thought or two :)

Slim

[sidetrack] Have to agree with you on the Bob the Nailer and his Pa series by Stephen Hunter there bud, well researched and written without being waay too technical [/sidetrack]

I did a book report on "The Hunt For Red October" and half the class was like WTF??? I personally think he is the best ficton writer for military novels, but my favorite book is "15 Days". If you ever wanna read true personal accounts of our troops in Afganisitan, this book will blow your mind.

Well, I personally like non-fiction books, and found it every interesting. I have read a few novels about the CF in Afganististan and enjoyed it (15 Days) the most. HOw do you know that it is accurate?

I'll be good CDN  ;)

Well first off I know the author in fact I email her occasionaly...

Secondly there is an entrie chapter I was directly involved in, which I have in writing from the author that is well not as accurate as it could have been. It was a rushed job (well written for such a quick turn around) Certain events relayed to her were relayed by 3rd hand info and some outright specualtion.

I applaud her for her work and it is well written it's just not accurate in many case's.

EDIT: Thanks 9er  :p

CDN Aviator said:
This should be fun......
How so? I just never knew, or heard that it wasnt that accurate... Tear me up all you want but I thought it was a good book. Every one has differents tastes :)

To clarify...

By Directly involved in I don't mean in the same area or on the same battle field I mean litteraly 2 feet away DIRECTLY involved in....

EDIT: 9er again....

Kr3w said:
. Tear me up all you want but I thought it was a good book. Every one has differents tastes :)

For the record, i thought it was a very good book. I was just watching out for fireworks after you said " How do you know ?" to the guy who was there on the ground.

Ahhh... Alright thanks, I didnt mean it in a disrespectful way, just as an inquiry.

I've always thought Tom Clancy's Jack Ryan series was an awesome read....
If you want to comment on repetitive read a few of WEB Griffins books. Half the bloody things are a description of the previous novel in the series..

BulletMagnet said:
there is an entrie chapter I was directly involved in,

Very cool, may I ask which chapter? ;D

I'm about halfway through Fifteen Days, I consider it a great read.

I, for one (and only one) person, dispise Tom Clancy's writing.  He comes across (to me) as a horse's ass.  ("I withdraw my toast to the end of the war, and toast instead horse's asses everywhere!")

I fell in love with Red Storm Rising.  Loved it.  Then I read Red Storm Rising.  Horrible.  Disgustingly horrible.  (IMHO)  I've never gone back, though I've enjoyed the movies that came out of his books.  At least when you're watching the movie, you don't have to suffer through his simplistic writing style.  Ugh.

:-X

Back