• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Tim Hortons in Theatre Merged Thread (in AFG, no plans to preposition)

Reccecrewman   thanks for the info and no I haven't been to Afghanistan I am just a civy I work at a call center . I didn't realize how many locals actually work on an over seas base .

I'd love to be educated on this one by anyone in country...

When it comes to staff working in foreign franchises (like Burger King & Pizza Hut), I've heard 12th hand that there are Canadians (civvies) working in these positions in country for up to $18/hour.  Is this reality, or just someone misunderstanding?

geo said:
Hmmm....
Am confused.
The Navy signed a contract so that all coffee served in their messes is Tim Horton official brew.... and the nevy is paying for this.
Now the Army wants Tim Horton's to set up shop on the strip in Kandahar?
Why would Army guys want to pay for the same thing navy guys get for free?

Well, good question....All those food and drink outlets over there are not free. In fact, they sell their products at a higher price then what you get back home, about 30-50% price increase. In Camp Phoenix in Kabul a standard Ice cream cone was $2 US. A medium regular coffee was also $2 US. At Baghram, a Whopper combo (if I can remember cause I only got it once) as over $8 US.

So what would the price be if TH opens an outlet....would it be free?
Or would the cost of a cup of Large Double Double be $2.50- $3 US?
And who would complain first?

Armymedic said:
So what would the price be if TH opens an outlet....would it be free?
Or would the cost of a cup of Large Double Double be $2.50- $3 US?
And who would complain first?

Not that I've been there (yet), but if the reasons for high prices were explained to the troops, I believe they would understand and be willing to pay for "a little bit of home". 8)

I'm sure they would understand, but I could virtually guarantee the story that would make it back to the Canadian press would be "Tim Horton's Fleeces Canadian Troops with Exhorbitant Coffee Profiteering"

As I say - the solution to ignorance? Education. However, as past experience can attest (*cough* Airborne Regiment *cough*) what you say is probably true. :(

Well, we all saw how well the Airbone made out in that...

What people do forget is that a Tim Horton 18 wheel rig won't be able just to drive up to the outlet in Kandahar and restock it with all the coffee, creamer, sugar, cups, doughnut dough, etc, etc an outlet requires. It all has to be resupplied by the fragile air bridge the Air Force has set up.

And we already have massive donations of TH coffee there in theater, you could buy cans of grinds from Canex in Kabul. I am sure that will be the same in KAF if they set up a Canex there.

Would be good for morale if there was a simple sign in the Mess Kitchen that stated that "all coffee served hers is provided, free of charge by the good people of Canada & TimHorton"

I'm still on the fence about the whole thing - "taste of home" vs logistical requirements. How much log work does it take to supply Burger King and others there?

They already ship in coffee for the Kitchens..... how much more work would it be to change brands?

Well...
IIRC in 1992 during the fun times in Sarajevo :-X, the big news from the MND at the time, Marcel Masse, was that "all maple syrup for the CF was to purchased from Quebec." Mind you, we shall see since uncle Rick is keen on the idea.

if you want to use maple syrup as a sweetner - fine, let's have a little bit of Quebec in our cuppa joe.

Just a little thing I noticed when driving across the Countries last year.. in the US you pay the same for a med. dbl-dbl as you do in Canada, so with the exchange rate it makes for a mighty 'spensive cup of java.

(ref: third page price discussion)

geo said:
if you want to use maple syrup as a sweetner - fine, let's have a little bit of Quebec in our cuppa joe.
Doesn't Starbucks do that already and give it an Italian name? Mucho Grande Syropa d'Maple? ;D

Teltech said:
Well...
IIRC in 1992 during the fun times in Sarajevo :-X, the big news from the MND at the time, Marcel Masse, was that "all maple syrup for the CF was to purchased from Quebec." Mind you, we shall see since uncle Rick is keen on the idea.

I meant keen on Timmies - I don't know how he takes his coffee. Anyone? ;D

I drink Timmies every day (it's brewed close enough for me to pitch a stone at it) and it is free.  

I've been to the Green Bean by the PX.  The only reason that I can see people spending money there is because they want a fruity coffee (of the type Timmies does not provide) or because they are actually paying for the atmosphere (it has a porch that you can sit out on & discuss issues of an unclassified nature).

. . . but, if you really want the shaded porch you can get a free coffee from the PSP folk by the UMS (and if you feel the need to fork over money for a coffee then they offer cappuccino at a much lower price than Green Bean).

A small thought...
Instead of a full blown outlet, what if they shipped a few cases of Timmies cups (L & XL) w/ lids for use in the mess hall? I think it's all psychological anyway. Besides, I had my daily dose, so life is good. :D

Unless you're on ships, it's not Timmy coffee..... so there would be no truth in advertising Teltech

My bad.. I should have added - in addition to shipping the Tim's coffee over.

A small thought...
Instead of a full blown outlet, what if they shipped a few cases of Timmies cups (L & XL) w/ lids for use in the mess hall? I think it's all psychological anyway. Besides, I had my daily dose, so life is good.

Well, every so often they had real Timmie's cups in Canada House (The Canadian hangout on Kandahar Airfield), plus Timmie's always on brew from the HUGE amount of cans that we got from Op Santa Clause and other means.. It didn't quite taste the same as Timmie's from back home, and they didn't have the Timmie's creamer (we had the fake milk from the DFAC (US contractor Dining FACility) I think it's the creamer that really makes the 'double double' what it is..

Back