• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Thoughts on deployment/rotation length & HLTA

lyned said:
That'll drop the recruiting numbers, no?

Why, since they're extending the roto duration because of need of soldiers ?

"Why, since they're extending the roto duration because of need of soldiers ?"

I just don't think that most guys/gals would want to sign up if they knew they'd be gone from their wives/girl/boy friends for a year. Most are probably comfortable with 6-7 months but not more. Just my thoughts.

lyned said:
I just don't think that most guys/gals would want to sign up if they knew they'd be gone from their wives/girl/boy friends for a year. Most are probably comfortable with 6-7 months but not more. Just my thoughts.

Good thoughts, I was thinking that you were refering to the forces needing less people...

lyned said:
"Why, since they're extending the roto duration because of need of soldiers ?"

I'm comfortable with whatever they task me to do.My grandfather was deployed to a war zone for 4 years.I'm sure I could manage a year.

Our Neighbours to the south manage anyway.

And really deterring a few people who only EXPECT to deploy for 6 months....is that such a bad thing?

"Good thoughts, I was thinking that you were refering to the forces needing less people..."

No, no, not at all. I'd really like to see the military increased in size.  Especially our own air power to support our people during ops. I know our "boy" said it was always comforting to see the U.S. Apaches show up when s**t hit the fan. He was there in '06 and is doing another tour now.

lyned said:
That'll drop the recruiting numbers, no?
Honestly, a longer Roto in Afghanistan does not affect my joining the CF what so ever.

lyned said:
That doesn't really matter to me either. Yes, a possible year of my life(I know, chances of me being deployed to Afghanistan is small as of now.) could be spent in Afghanistan, but that would be a year in which I know I am doing something that are making peoples lives better.

My two cents.
Baker

"I'm comfortable with whatever they task me to do"

Yes, YOU are, and thank you, and our son is also regardless that he's recently married. I'm just saying that a lot of young people these days might not be, thats all. I have utmost respect for people that are joining up to serve, knowing what they might get into.

lyned said:
"Good thoughts, I was thinking that you were refering to the forces needing less people..."

No, no, not at all. I'd really like to see the military increased in size.  Especially our own air power to support our people during ops. I know our "boy" said it was always comforting to see the U.S. Apaches show up when s**t hit the fan. He was there in '06 and is doing another tour now.
lyned said:
"I'm comfortable with whatever they task me to do"

Yes, YOU are, and thank you, and our son is also regardless that he's recently married. I'm just saying that most young people these days might not be.

Ah, I see where you are comming from now. I know many young people like myself who really wouldn't want to go to the Sandbox for a year. But I also know some more who would, like myself.

Cheers
Baker

"I know many young people like myself who really wouldn't want to go to the Sandbox for a year. But I also know some more who would, like myself."

Excellent! Glad to see our forces are still attracting young people like you.  :salute:

lyned said:
"I know many young people like myself who really wouldn't want to go to the Sandbox for a year. But I also know some more who would, like myself."

Excellent! Glad to see our forces are still attracting young people like you.  :salute:
They attracted me back when I was 6, and I always wanted to be in since ;)

Baker

Mike Baker said:
They attracted me back when I was 6, and I always wanted to be in since ;)

Baker
Good to see. Wish I was young enough to change my career decisions. ;D  Our son was in army cadets for 4.5 years ( received the Lord Strathconas Horse medal) plus I have an ever increasing library about Canadian Military history that he was very interested in reading. And regarding another thread on here, Nobody ever tried recruiting him out of cadets, it was his choice to join, even knowing he would probably get sent to 'Ghan after training. Huge respect to those that that join today, mature enough to know what they may be getting into.

If you're a reservist overseas, you do the same time, get the same pay, etc as everyone else. Other than the medicals... I couldn't get my medal until I did a medical in theatre. Like I'd want to skip on a chance to document injuries for pension when I'm older.

Looks like no.

"Top soldier says no plan to extend troop rotations"

http://www.cbc.ca/world/story/2008/03/20/afghan-deployments.html

Rob :cdn:

"No" according to the CBC, but "no decisions have been made @ this point" according to other MSM....

Toronto Star:  "Any decision to extend soldiers' deployment in Afghanistan past six months will be based on recruitment efforts and a decision about what role soldiers will be performing post-2009, a senior Canadian Forces officer says.  The officer, speaking to reporters on background, said the military is engaged in a "continuous examination" to determine how best and how long to engage Canadian soldiers based in Kandahar.  The Star reported yesterday that the military is considering extending the current six-month rotations in Kandahar to up to a year. Speaking to reporters at Kandahar Airfield, Gen. Rick Hillier, the Chief of the Defence Staff, said: "We have not made any decisions at this point in time to change anything."  But that could all change based on lessons learned from the mission, just as it could influence decisions on which vehicles to use and the type of training for soldiers that will be sent to Afghanistan, Hillier said, according to The Canadian Press."

CanWest:  "Canada's chief of the defence staff says there are no plans afoot to extend the six-month tours of duty that most of his troops now spend in Afghanistan.  "We've made no decisions to change where we are at this time," Gen. Rick Hillier said, adding that such issues are constantly examined by military planners. "

While on a personal level an extended tour of 9-15 months might cause difficulties, it will actually improve things in the sandbox since there will be a greater level of corporate knowledge by the troops in the field, and (assuming HLTA isn't increased by a corresponding amount), the numbers of boots on the ground will actually increase overall. Our US and UK brethren only have 2 weeks leave (for a 15 month deployment in the case of American soldiers), so our time off seems a bit extravagant. Removed by moderator.

If you're a reservist overseas, you do the same time, get the same pay, etc as everyone else
Agreed.

Still I wonder how many employers would support up to a year of leave for those who have a full time job.

MG said:
I wonder how many employers would support up to a year of leave for those who have a full time job.

More than a year, with the workup training beforehand....  I know of reservists who've had to go to public sector employers on the current ROTO saying, "uh, yeah, I know I booked x months, but it looks more likely now that I'll be coming back to work in x+2 or 3 months".  MG's right - how would the owner of a smaller private sector business (maybe family owned/run) feel about losing someone for that length of time?

Too add to that, it is not much easier in "Club Fed". I had a rough time getting leave for just SQ and training. It seems not every manager or HR rep has a firm grasp of the leave policies in place and it can make it difficult to get the leave. I guess it is because not a lot of PS employees, at least in my building/section, are also Reservists. Furthermore, employers are only "encouraged" to grant leave; it doesn't mean they have to.

Thankfully, there is <a href="http://www.cflc.forces.gc.ca/general/intro_e.asp">CFLC </a> and some very convincing senior staff members on hand at the unit to help the Reservists with their leave issues. It still doesn't mean that you're employer is going to grant the leave or not make life difficult for you when you return. Asking for a month leave was like giving a cat a bath in a phone booth; I can't imagine what over a year would be like especially to those in the private sector.

I'm slightly confused here... I thought all non-Combat Arms trades were already staying for tours of 9months as it is??? Only front-line troops would get 6 month tours? As it stands, we were told at 1CMBG to be prepared for 9 month tours...??? Has anyone done 9 month tours already? I still don't know if I'll be going over in the next couple rotations from CFB Edmonton here, so I don't have any details.

???

Back