• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The Woodworking Thread

Freaking dust can be a huge problem for myself especially in winter when I can't open the workshop doors, I'm a big fan of build your own if you can so I used a modified version of this one https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5csWbjg5w4w to build an air cleaner with an old 16" fan I had kicking around I usually use a standard furnace filter for the primary and a MERV 8 or 11 for the secondary (the plans were modified to fit my house furnace filter size.

Attachments

• Air cleaner 1 smaller.jpg
    Air cleaner 1 smaller.jpg
    129.1 KB · Views: 478
  • Air cleaner 2 smaller.jpg
    Air cleaner 2 smaller.jpg
    203 KB · Views: 511
sidemount said:
My new fav thread haha

Is it just me or does anyone else just love the smell of sawdust when you are working.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

No doubt the smell of wood being worked on is great, but Big Spoon hit on one of the two main reasons we do woodworking: It relieves stress like nothing else; the second reason of course being that it gives us an excuse to get away from the Commander Home Fleet that she can't argue with because the loves the results.  ;D

That fan idea is the bomb. I'll consider that once further down the road. The wife will always love an idea that eradicates dust.

Now: any ideas specific to a thickness planer? You guys with the cyclones, do you use it for planing? Or just wing the stuff into a box?

Oldgateboatdriver said:
No doubt the smell of wood being worked on is great, but Big Spoon hit on one of the two main reasons we do woodworking: It relieves stress like nothing else; the second reason of course being that it gives us an excuse to get away from the Commander Home Fleet that she can't argue with because the loves the results.  ;D
Haha aint that the truth. I also love when 9er domestic makes a specific request and I use it as an excuse to get some new tools :D

sidemount said:
Haha aint that the truth. I also love when 9er domestic makes a specific request and I use it as an excuse to get some new tools :D

I'm reasonably certain I've got the go ahead to buy a press brake and try and make metal kitchen cabinets.  Toying with the idea, but essentially would bend sheet to make some facing for the drawers and doors with some kind of wood core (plywood? project pine?).  May double it over on the edges to get a front and back but not sure how clean the corners would be.  I think some trial and error is probably the best bet, but always liked the old metal kitchen cabinets they had in the 30s and 40s, and this seems like fun.

Failing that, planning on standard wooden cabinets and drawers, probably in some kind of arts and crafts style with stained glass for the larger doors.

Incidentally, stained glass is surprisingly relaxing as well; also have plans for some large light boxes with custom stained glass panels, so combines both basic woodworking and stained glass.

Personally I've had good luck with a good chop saw, power saw, drill and some basic hand tools.  Over the years I've picked up a contractors table saw and a router with a whack of bits from kijiji for steals, as well as a reasonable collection of clamps etc, but nothing fancy.  Brands are funny in that there is a wide variety in the same brand.  The makita power saw I bought happens to have a motor made in Japan and is a pleasure to use; almost identical model with a motor from china is a bit of a lemon from reviews online, so it's hard to judge by brand alone now.  Most of my hand tools are mastercraft, and they are more than good enough for what I use them for.  If you do some reading, people manage some remarkable things with very basic set ups and a lot of creative jigs.

Another good option for tools is renting them if you have a specific project.  Home depots have big selections, and there are lots of other good places in most cities.  I have found it a great option for getting some of the more expensive tools (like a good random orbit sander, wet tile saws, big sliding mitre compound saws) for something specific where I may not want to buy, and you can try out all kinds of different brands as well.  Doesn't make sense if you use it a lot, but if you are space constrained or not sure what you want it's a good option.  You can also try to find some of the 'maker' shops in your area or woodworking places; you can get memberships and sometimes have access to awesome equipment like large industrial planers.

First step though, I got lost looking through the instructables site and found this design for a collapsible workbench;
https://www.instructables.com/id/Collapsible-Workbench/
I think I would make it larger and modify it to use some bolts , but the idea of it is pretty good.  There are lots of other examples there for interesting ideas to start with from people that also have limited space.

This is also pretty wild, need to try it some time to add some extra details to the finish;
https://www.instructables.com/id/How-I-Make-Cool-Metal-Inlays/
Might not be the most efficient way to do it, but again, interesting read and good starting point for a concept.  (This is what I meant by getting lost in rabbit holes though)

sidemount said:

Yup.

Circular saw, chop saw (the one I'll sell at some point soon), recip saw, router, and a bunch of non-powered stuff all financed by home renos.

Re: Mastercraft: I am fond of their hand tools with the exception of hammers, can't beat the warranty. I also have a flooring nailer from them that has served me well so far - and will again very soon!

One of the things I have been reading a lot on lately is butterfly inlays. I am likely going to suck out and order a template and then tackle buying bushings to go and practice. Since I work a lot with planks, I need to prevent end splits. In fact, I think my last load - about 30 three foot two inch thick slabs meant to do salmon but left unused - might be lost due to me not properly treating the ends before drying them. :mad: Good lesson. Thankfully I have some ideas of how to use the (now) scrap: http://www.instructables.com/id/Scrap-Wood-End-Grain-End-Table-How-to-Build/

Instructables.com: rabbit hole indeed.

Scott said:
Yup.

Circular saw, chop saw (the one I'll sell at some point soon), recip saw, router, and a bunch of non-powered stuff all financed by home renos.

Re: Mastercraft: I am fond of their hand tools with the exception of hammers, can't beat the warranty. I also have a flooring nailer from them that has served me well so far - and will again very soon!

One of the things I have been reading a lot on lately is butterfly inlays. I am likely going to suck out and order a template and then tackle buying bushings to go and practice. Since I work a lot with planks, I need to prevent end splits. In fact, I think my last load - about 30 three foot two inch thick slabs meant to do salmon but left unused - might be lost due to me not properly treating the ends before drying them. :mad: Good lesson. Thankfully I have some ideas of how to use the (now) scrap: http://www.instructables.com/id/Scrap-Wood-End-Grain-End-Table-How-to-Build/

Instructables.com: rabbit hole indeed.
Pretty close to the same haha!

I got the mastercraft flooring nailer when it was on sale at CT. Cheaper to buy it then it was to rent one for a few days to do the floors in the house. Now I have one to do floors at the next posting :D

My latest project wasnt so much just wood working but was tearing out an old shower/tub one piece fibreglass unit, reframing and installing a tub and nice tile all around.

My wife loves the tiled look, has gotten me to do a few back splashes and floors now. The wet tile saw was a nice addition :)

sidemount said:
Pretty close to the same haha!

I got the mastercraft flooring nailer when it was on sale at CT. Cheaper to buy it then it was to rent one for a few days to do the floors in the house. Now I have one to do floors at the next posting :D

Great minds. My initial thought was to do the floors and sell the thing for close to what I paid on sale. Glad I kept it as I have two rooms to do in the new house!

My latest project wasnt so much just wood working but was tearing out an old shower/tub one piece fibreglass unit, reframing and installing a tub and nice tile all around.

My wife loves the tiled look, has gotten me to do a few back splashes and floors now. The wet tile saw was a nice addition :)

I have always stopped short of anything related to tile. I have to reconsider for the new place as it will need the bathroom done at some point...this is where it helps having talented buddies who like to drink beer :nod:

I guess that's the downside of doing it yourself once; then it becomes the norm!  Nice change of pace though.

I was a bit leary with tiles until I got a friend to help me out with the first bit and realized it was pretty easy.  Have since redone a bathroom, some backsplashes, and planning another bathroom complete overhaul this summer, with a lot of tile.  The on sale CT wet tile saw has paid for itself several times over now!

Navy_Pete said:
I guess that's the downside of doing it yourself once; then it becomes the norm!  Nice change of pace though.

I was a bit leary with tiles until I got a friend to help me out with the first bit and realized it was pretty easy.  Have since redone a bathroom, some backsplashes, and planning another bathroom complete overhaul this summer, with a lot of tile.  The on sale CT wet tile saw has paid for itself several times over now!

Ditto to that. The tile laying process is very simple if you follow some simple instructions and there are tons of YouTube videos to show you how. You definitely need a good range of tools though and luckily they are not too expensive. I got my wet saw on sale at Cdn Tire for around $50 and I see you can get one at Home Depot for around $77 - for most home improvement projects you wont need one of those $500 ones.

:cheers:

Found this while planning out my summer (need to regrade my back patio to slope away from the house), looks pretty easy.

Also the cut plans are pretty handy; normally I do this by hand on a grid paper (to scale, because I'm OCD like that) but I understand there is software that can do that now.

F351606EA9F0482496F5E51D55ED530AC4596E0082A01E7E.jpg

https://www.buildsomething.com/plans/P5DAC6A8E2D6C2FA7/ConvertiblePicnicTableandBench

One thing I noticed is that they give the actual dimensions for the wood vice the standard framing sizes (ie 1.5 x 3.5 vice 2x4). I think the software probably differentiates between construction lumber and milled boards. 

The site is sponsored by Kreg, so some of their plans have their jigs etc on them.  Having said that, I have their pocket hole jig and it's well worth the price.  I somehow lost the double pocket hole jig and some bar clamps during the last move (hoping the new home owners is enjoying them) but the single one works great as well.

Currently downloading Sketchup Make (the freeware version for personal use) and also came across the builder plugin.  Looks like it can generate a cutlist for all the materials, so planning on playing around with it a bit to see if all of this is any faster than my current method (figure out what I want in my head, measure space, play around with dimensions in head, sketch on graph paper to scale, layout cut plan on graph paper).

I've seen people go crazy and generate 3D layouts of the space, do full 3D models to scale, and then drop them in the space and tweak it on the screen until they get what they want.  Would make sense if I was building it for someone else, but I can do that in my head, so gives me something to do on the bus on my commute.

Update:

I have finished the teardown of the old shelving in the garage and constructed the back workbench. I went away from L shaped and simply filled in the "hole' along the back wall. Installed pegboard above along the half wall and the upper ledge can be used for storing screws and easy to grab items. It ain't fancy, but it's usable. I have a reinforced section where I can drop a vice in when needed. All in all, the old shelf provided all but about 50 bucks worth of the material, so I was pretty happy with that, and there's leftovers to assist with the rolling table.

My next set of days off will see the rolling table, dust collection and fines filtration built. I have spaces nominated for all of it which will maximize space and minimize clutter. I really appreciate those ideas shared here!

Then the floor tools will arrive! I also have a template kit for cutting letters as well as butterfly joints coming for the router, and perhaps a new router if I can't marry the baseplate.

The beer fridge is alive and well - loving the new pricing on Alpine!

And now I will ask some advice on power tools.

I am in the market but undecided on a router, and a new mitre saw.

I have a schwack of RBC points who offer a Bosch router as well as a saw.

Details on the saw: 8.5 inch sliding single bevel.

Details on the router: it's a combo kit. Unfortunately RBC rewards isn't great at giving PNs on anything so you can seek info.

This was the router kit I was thinking of: https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/p.dewalt-2-14-hp-three-base-router-kit.1000119767.html

Or I could be talked out of replacing my saw...I mean, the one I have works, it just doesn't slide. A table saw kind of removes the need and I am deadly accurate with my circular anyway. Gah!

Edit: bastard, I see the "rewards" router is only 1HP. Not so sure that's going to be much good for longevity or ease.

Back to the drawing board and saving points.

The 618 is a great router, and so is the smaller 611. With both of those, you'll be able to tackle just about any routing job.

Yeah, I am going with the DW and a table will be in future plans!

Photos of progress:

Rolling work table, same height as my table saw for outfeed. It'll have some more work done to allow for clamping easily.

The other pic is of my grandfather's bandsaw. It's a Jos Cote and near as I can tell they were manufactured between 1938 and 1960, which lines up with when my grandfather owned lumber and box mills where he'd have a use for this. My plan is to strip the parts and then wire brush/wheel everything I can before giving it a paint job. I am trying to get more info out of the company's owners, as well as do some research (which is so far pretty bare) online.

And I have started on the dust extractor!

Attachments

• 19274980_10159017175145323_5959629213204421152_n.jpg
    19274980_10159017175145323_5959629213204421152_n.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 499
  • 19437461_10159020516205323_2480621189438096413_n.jpg
    19437461_10159020516205323_2480621189438096413_n.jpg
    119.2 KB · Views: 482
Nice! 

I'll have to post up some pictures of my rolling table saw platform.  I took my 10" Delta and mounted it on a 4x6' rolling base, and on one end I added a router table insert section so that I can use the same fence and everything with my router as I do my table saw.

The area under the saw in the base has two large tool storage areas, one that I use for my Miter saw and sander, the other side is 'general' storage of tools and bits.  Easy to move around the garage, lets me reconfigure my work-space fairly simply.

Pictures to follow!

NS

FJAG said:
Ditto to that. The tile laying process is very simple if you follow some simple instructions and there are tons of YouTube videos to show you how. You definitely need a good range of tools though and luckily they are not too expensive. I got my wet saw on sale at Cdn Tire for around $50 and I see you can get one at Home Depot for around $77 - for most home improvement projects you wont need one of those $500 ones.

:cheers:

I have been loath to do tiling, but it seems the tools are not that expensive. Maybe I give it a try.

Got the fanbox built and test run. Filters slide a bit rough, but it works.

Finishing the cyclone right now. Went with the Thien instruction and it's turned out pretty decent. Just no idea how it'll work with only 1 1/2" - that's what my system is, so we shall see.

Bandsaw is back burner. Need a machinist to help with some of the finer rolling bits, and need to well document the entire machine for put back together day.

Back