• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The whole Karl Rove thing

As an investor, I am concerned about the behavior of the media, since they provide the "facts" which people make decisions on. My clippings files are mostly about economics (as per my outside interests), and it is quite scary to see headlines decrying "Economic Mistakes"  or words to that effect, only to backtrack and see very similar economic figures and indicators being touted as "triumphs" of the  Clinton Administration.

This naturally tweaks my interest, and so contradictions and misrepresentations about political subjects become more in focus as well since politics can influence the economy. As a BTW, although Wilson made a big deal about there being no evidence for Iraqi attempts to purchase yellowcake, British intellligence has never retracted or recanted from that report which launched the entire affair in the first place, another fact that somehow isn't worth reporting on.....unless of course you want to leave certain impressions in people's minds.

Karl Rove's guide to Clouding the issue", step one: Introduce Irrelevencies.  :)

Back on track,

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/docs/plame.cia.letter.pdf

30 January 2004

The Honorable John Conyers, Jr.
Ranking Democratic Member
Committee on the Judiciary
House of Representatives
Washington, DC 20515

Dear Mr. Conyers:

Thank you for your letter of 29 September 2003 to the Director of Central intelligence (DCI) regarding any contacts the Central intelligence agency has had with the Department of Justice (DoJ) to request an investigation into the disclosure earlier that year of the identity of an employee operating undercover. The DCI has asked me to respond your letter on his behalf.

Executive order 12333 requires CIA to report to the Attorney General "possible violations of criminal law." In accordance with executive order 12333 on 24 July 2003, a CIA attorney left a phone message for the chief of the counterespionage section of DOJ noting concern with recent articles on this subject and stating that the CIA would forward a written crimes report pending the outcome of a review of the articles by subject matter experts. By letter dated 30 July 2003, the CIA reported to the criminal division of DOJ a possible violation of criminal law concerning the unauthorized disclosure of classified information. The letter also informed, DOJ that the CIA's Office of Security had opened an investigation into this matter. This letter was sent again to DOJ by facsimile on 5 September 2003.

By letter dated 16 September 2003, and in accordance with standard practice in such matters, the CIA informed DOJ that the Agency's investigation into this matter was complete, provided DOJ a memorandum setting forth the results of that investigation, and requested that the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) undertake a criminal investigation of this matter. In a 29 September 2 003 letter, DOJ advised that the Counterespionage Section of DOJ had requested that the FBI initiate an investigation of this matter.

Stanley M. Moskowitz
Director of Congressional Affairs

Damn that liberal dominated CIA eh? Now feel free to correct me if I am misunderstanding all the legalese, but it seems pretty clear that the CIA did consider Plame to be an undercover operative. Would this constitude "do nothing but a bit of CYA" as our dear a_majoor claims? I don't know, since I've no knowledge of what the usual proceedure would be.

Politics has become so polarized that any tidbit has the Left and Right froth ring at mouth, complaining about MSM left bias and the "Right's" commentators having the only access to the Holy Grail. And ironically Rove is one of reasons politics is so cutthroat these days and therefore an architect of the feeding frenzy.
Whether he committed a crime or not, and whether an â Å“operative's outted is irrelevant. What is, is that Rove use his White House office , covertly or overtly, to discredit a critic of his administration's policy. He had no requirement to say that Wilson's wife was CIA. That in my mind is abuse of power. Now if the American public thinks its okay for the White House to use its power to attack and discredit dissent in this fashion fine. However, Watergate was only 30 years ago, and how soon we forget. Now I not saying Bush is corrupt or condoning Rove's actions. However there are parallels between that time and members of the White House using their power to stifle criticism

Britney Spears said:
It is more possible that the leftist vewpoint ISN'T over represented in the mainstream media, and that conservatives like to have a nice fallback excuse for why they're WRONG, but I suppose me being a leftist won't help convince you.

How is it "more" possible?

edited to add: Actually Brit, you won't convince me of much until you use rational argument. Calling Rove names and alluding to dirty tricks etc. doesn't do anything to convince me that he has done anything wrong in htis case. It seems to me that with anything Bush related you react with emotion rather than rational thought. I don't mean this as an attack, but the froth and spittle that Bush et al invokes in you makes me curious.

Calling Rove names and alluding to dirty tricks etc. doesn't do anything to convince me that he has done anything wrong in htis case. It seems to me that with anything Bush related you react with emotion rather than rational thought. I don't mean this as an attack, but the froth and spittle that Bush et al invokes in you makes me curious.

If you had read my earlier posts, you will note that I did not make the claim, as many have that Rove was already de facto guilty and should be jailed. As I have said, up to this date I've seen very little concrete evidence that it was Rove, and it's certainly plausible that Rove at the time was not aware of Plame's status, in which case the he would have committed no crime (although he would still be soley responsible for the leak). In all honesty even if all the allegations turned out to be true, it would still be a fairly minor quibble compared to most of the other lies that Bush & Co. have espoused. I doubt that, in the big scheme of things, his apparent "leak" has significantly compromised US national security, but you can say the same thing about many, many other issues and their investigations.

In any case I am attempting to discuss the details of some of the facts, Rove's merits as a politician have not entered my discussion I had made my candid comments on Rove's character as a politician to explain my (previous) lack of interest in this case. Those thoughts are my opinions only and I won't try to force them on you, but if you are accusing me of  hijaacking a_majoor's threat in order to turn it into a character assasination of Karl Rove, I asure you that this is not the case.

Britney Spears said:
If you had read my earlier posts, you will note that I did not make the claim, as many have that Rove was already de facto guilty and should be jailed. As I have said, up to this date I've seen very little concrete evidence that it was Rove, and it's certainly plausible that Rove at the time was not aware of Plame's status, in which case the he would have committed no crime (although he would still be soley responsible for the leak). In all honesty even if all the allegations turned out to be true, it would still be a fairly minor quibble compared to most of the other lies that Bush & Co. have espoused. I doubt that, in the big scheme of things, his apparent "leak" has significantly compromised US national security, but you can say the same thing about many, many other issues and their investigations.

In any case I am attempting to discuss the details of some of the facts, Rove's merits as a politician have not entered my discussion I had made my candid comments on Rove's character as a politician to explain my (previous) lack of interest in this case. Those thoughts are my opinions only and I won't try to force them on you, but if you are accusing me of   hijaacking a_majoor's threat in order to turn it into a character assasination of Karl Rove, I asure you that this is not the case.

I think you should perhaps reread your own posts...

Who is Karl Rove and why are we fighting over him?

Back