• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The Wearing and Location of The Poppy- Uniform/Civilian

I like the badge idea and that could work, all badges on the green flight suits are velcro'd on, it'd be super simple to replace one of our badges with a velcro'd poppy badge.

I was speaking to a friend of mine today who is ex-military.  He suggested that you wear the poppy year round as a show of respect for those who served and gave their lives for their country.  Not a bad idea I think.  In keeping with the badge idea INCH I think a Velcro strap could be placed on the left chest permanently and then the poppy would have it's own place to stay when authorized.

Cheers!! :cdn:

The Army Guy

The Army Guy said:
I like the badge idea and that could work, all badges on the green flight suits are velcro'd on, it'd be super simple to replace one of our badges with a velcro'd poppy badge.

I was speaking to a friend of mine today who is ex-military.  He suggested that you wear the poppy year round as a show of respect for those who served and gave their lives for their country.  Not a bad idea I think.  In keeping with the badge idea INCH I think a Velcro strap could be placed on the left chest permanently and then the poppy would have it's own place to stay when authorized.

The Army Guy

If I see someone wearing a poppy in May, I just presume he's a moron who forgot to take it down, sort of like the idiots who keep Christmas lights up year round.  You could celebrate your birthday every month too, I guess, but wouldn't it come to mean pretty much nothing?  Once a year is special - doesn't mean we forget the rest of the year, we just focus our attention as a nation once a year.  Unless you want an extra day off at Christmas, of course, in which case you're allowed to forget....

Michael Dorosh said:
If I see someone wearing a poppy in May, I just presume he's a moron who forgot to take it down, sort of like the idiots who keep Christmas lights up year round. You could celebrate your birthday every month too, I guess, but wouldn't it come to mean pretty much nothing? Once a year is special - doesn't mean we forget the rest of the year, we just focus our attention as a nation once a year. Unless you want an extra day off at Christmas, of course, in which case you're allowed to forget....

I wasn't attempting to place less importance on the remembrance as in the "Christmas Every Day" syndrome.  I was just passing on an idea.  My proposal to INCH was that the spot of Velcro be added to the flightsuit to allow for placement of the poppy for the authorized two week period of wear.  Not looking to make an all year event out of wearing the poppy.  I like seeing it show up at the end of Oct. every year.  Lets you know that people are still thinking about the past and the current soldiers serving.

The Army Guy

I think a poppy badge for flightsuits would be a great idea, though I doubt an extra strip of velcro for something only worn a couple weeks per year is practical. The poppy could be used in place of one of the usual shoulder patches. The main step would be to get an exemption for the badge from the "badges must be green" rule so that a red poppy badge could be worn (an olive green poppy just wouldn't look right). I can't see anyone seriously opposing that, so it just needs someone to pony up and spend some time to do the ceremonial cutting of the red tape.

Storm, I agree, having a piece of velcro sewn on that's only going to be used for 2 weeks every year doesn't seem worth it. You hit it bang on with the low vis badges too. Unfortunately I'm up to my neck in CH124 Operating instructions and that ball isn't going to be set in motion by me.

Cheers

When my father was in the CF, I am told he wore the poppy on his forage cap and beret. :salute:
It would be nice if they brought that tradition back in the CF.

I'm just wondering how to properly wear a poppy in civillian dress? I can't seem to find anything that says how to.   :cdn:

There isn't any rule for civilians wearing it, but traditionally it's worn on the left lapel (if in a suit) or somewhere on the left chest. That being said, it's really a personal choice. Anywhere you want is fine in civvies so long as it's not disrespectful, since as a reservist when you're not on duty/in uniform you're on your own time and considered to be a civilian. Much more so than gifts, it's the thought that counts.

I usually wear the poppy on my left lapel like Storm said I think that it looks best there. :salute:

Should it be worn throughout November, or just up to Remembrance Day?

Only until remembrance day is the norm. (I've taken the poppies down here.) I generally return my poppy to the Legion (usually by way of the local cenotaph) so it can be re-used next year.

I've got a question is it a sign of disrespect to wear a poppy all the time? I was wondering that because I thougt it would be a sign of respect since most people only wear it for a week or so then take it off until next year. Correct me if I'm wrong thankx :salute:

armyrules said:
I've got a question is it a sign of disrespect to wear a poppy all the time? I was wondering that because I thougt it would be a sign of respect since most people only wear it for a week or so then take it off until next year. Correct me if I'm wrong thankx :salute:

I've often wondered the same thing.

Also, an ex-British Army friend of mine was jacking me up the other day because I wore my poppy on the left. He said that because I was a serving member, I should be wearing it on the right side when in civies. I had never heard that before... there is a reasonable chance he was pulling my leg.

Mike Bobbitt said:
Only until remembrance day is the norm. (I've taken the poppies down here.) I generally return my poppy to the Legion (usually by way of the local cenotaph) so it can be re-used next year.

I decided to keep mine this year, my mother works at an old folks home and a vetran gave her a couple poppies with little maple leafs in the middle instead of the usual pin. An old chinese fellow who was in the infantry I might add.

Veterans son said:
Great thread, atticus!

It is important to know how to properly wear a poppy, in my opinion.

Thanks.

skura said:
Should it be worn throughout November, or just up to Remembrance Day?

I wear mine from the first to the last day of November, the month of Remembrance.

I've never heard of wearing the poppy all month - I usually shoot dirty looks at people starting 12 November who are still wearing them.  It says to me that they really didn't think about why they are wearing it and forgot to take it off. ;-)  The military wears it starting two weeks before Rememberance Day, and remove them on the 11th.

Anyone wearing one in February I just presume to be right out of it.

To clarify a few things..

A poppy is to be worn generally on the left side over the heart or as most people do, on the lapel.

I have asked more than a couple Vets about wearing the poppy and all have said that they don't mind  how long they get worn. In fact on my headdress year round I wear a poppy. It is not disrespectful and in my mind it indicates that Remembrance is more than just one day a year.

I may be right out of it but having played alongside, and for many vets I am showing nothing but respect and gratitude.

Back