• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The way JUNIOR--junior NCM‘s are treated

• Thread starter squeela1984
  • Start date
S

squeela1984

For Privates and some corporals!
I don‘t experience it too much, but I see pte‘s being treated like idiots when they arrive to new units. When you complete your QL3 course, you only know so much and with time you get used to your new unit and learn more. The unit can only expect so much from you. If you don‘t know how to do something (because you weren‘t taught), you shouldn‘t have a MCpl or anyone else yell at you, they should take the time to show you how it‘s done. I‘m not complaining, but I have lots of friends telling me how their new units are treating them, and it shouldn‘t be that way. You‘re not gonna wanna learn if someone is yelling in your face, but rather they should teach you. BUT there are good units out there that DO take the time to teach and that‘s good.

I wish I was QL3 qualified... :crybaby:

Having completed my BMQ/SQ this summer, I can safely say that my unit is quite understanding of items which new members do not have experience in, and whatever knowledge is lacking is soon explained in detail...sure there is the occasional yelling, but hey...its the army :salute:

The real shock was when I discovered I knew more about our friend "Carl G" than some corperals in my unit, because it is a recent addition to basic training, even if it is an old-school piece of kit :rocket:

Of course I expect yelling...as should others.
But sometimes I hear unnecessary yelling where I feel like saying "Calm down and explain it."
BMQ/SQ?? Sucks to be you...and I learned about the Carl G too...way back in jan 2002...when i did LET (Land Environmental Training). Keep your chin up. What trade are you going for?
---->Kirkpatrick

oh and if you‘re in thunderbay...do you know CPL/MCPL Maggrah?

I‘m in the LSSR, so infantry. Therefore the SQ has me moooostly trained, and I am not left out of any of the unit exercises/ training. :warstory:

Theres a Cpl Maggrah in 18 svc battalion, maybe thats him.

Sheila, maybe the yelling is the result of not knowing the job? Supervisors may be frustrated and lack knowledge wrt the changes and amagamation of your trade. Just an idea. But your job requires alot of self-learning, you can help yourself alot by prempting the yelling. Find a Cpl that you can learn from and allow him/her to teach you the specifics of the equipment. Don‘t give them the reason to yell. But do agree that showing someone how to do something the first time is neccessary. After that, a soldier may need some motivation to learn the proceedure that they have been shown....

true that gunner!!
I don‘t have the problem I just see others having a difficult sometimes and they talk to me about it, and I try to help them. Hey KIRKPATRICK...I know Cpl Maggrah, he‘s a VTECH....soon to be MCpl

From my experience both in the navy and the army newly graduated privates/ordinary seamen come in with the attitude and I have seen it time and time again. I had an OS tell me one time I didn‘t outrank him at all I was just more senior to him. That poor kid got jacked up by the Cox‘n for over an hour, as he was standing right behind him. A lot of us at one point used to go out of our way to help new people coming into our units its no longer done because all but 1 or 2 don‘t have this "chip" until you prove otherwise or right away expect it. Its not fair but your predecessors brought it upon themselves and consequently down on you.

Yes ex-dragoon, that‘s so true. And I don‘t say anything to those kind of people, cause it doesn‘t do any good when they already have that attitude. Those kind of people need to be straightened out, but good ppl willing to learn like myself, don‘t deserve it

I agree shelia..maybe its up to people like you to change their outlook before they come to a unit. Maybe then you will see our outlook on new people change as well.

In my experience you realy don‘t have to yell, people shut down. I had a Sgt who was easy going but when he got mad he would pull you aside and almost whisper, you coul feel the anger and in turn you would be afraid. I use that all the time, I normaly don‘t yell (exept when a whole group messes up), I stay relaxed, but piss me off and we‘ll have a chat off to the side. The thing is if your competent people will notice and will calme down, if they don‘t talk to your supervisor or ask to speak to their supervisor. Some of these people may not realise that they‘re upseting people, try to sort it out on the lower levels.

Leadership is deffinitely an art! I have experienced both good and bad in the CF...Yelling does not work really, not if you want the troopies to respect you at all.

Coming to the reserves from the regs was also difficult as the reserves operate quite differently and it may be the same army but they are very much worlds apart.

Ex-dragoon. How do you find it in the navy after being in Pet with the Armoured Corps?
:warstory:

Honestly Slim there were a couple of the POs that tried hard to get me busted to AB cause in their eyes I did not "earn" my hooks. My CO who earned his jump wings set them straight on what a soldier actually did.

A good leader should accept honest mistakes, once. However, with all the overhauling and restructuring of the training system, there‘s all sorts of discrepancies in qualifications. One NCO may assume you know something when you don‘t, and may give you $hit for it. If he‘s busting your balls for an honest mistake, or something you haven‘t been trained in, then it‘s his fault and not yours. But give it some time, and adjustments and things will get better.

However, as a new private, you‘re going to get yelled at no matter what; there‘s no way around that!

Would you like some cheese with that whine?

God, I have never seen more pathetic moaning, now I figured out where SHARP came from. It isn‘t the job of your superiors to be nice to you, and they are not helping you by doing such. You think the senior troopies are ****s, just think about how these guys will treat you if they get ahold of you.
a23.jpg

P.S.

If you really think the NCO‘s in your unit don‘t know what they are doing, tell your Sergeant Major...I‘m sure he would be delighted to sort you out.

Bwhahahahahahahahaha......sniff.....

Bwhahahahahahahahahaha....chuckle........ahhhhhh.

...BWHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA......

Bwhahahahahaaaaaaaaaaa..............sniff...sniff..

Ok, I‘m fine now....

Bwhahahahahahahahahahahaha...

"Does this mean we can‘t be friends"
Doc Holiday from Tombstone

Infanteer
I agree and dissagree. Soldiers must be tough...no question. However indescriminate yelling and abuse of troops can quickly destroy a unit.
If you ever get to play with any special operations types ask them why they operate so differently during the decision making process. They have realized that if you treat a man ( or woman) well they will kill themselves to do a good job and it will be far easier to get results when you do have to put down your foot.
Just thoughts.

Garry
I don‘t know where you got that but F$*K I laughed...good to keep the moral up!!

Slim,

In my experience, you just don‘t find people abusing the Troops- at least not for long.

I‘ve seen Snr NCO‘s pound the hail out of one of their own- he was abusing the Troops.

I‘ve seen the Troops pound the Hail out of one of their CSM‘s (anyone remember "Shovelface?)- he was abusing the Troops.

I could go on, but suffice it to say that we aren‘t kids, nor pack animals, nor drudges- we‘re soldiers. If you can‘t stand up for yourselves, then how can you stand up for the country?

FWIW- I have never been yelled at- and that includes basic. Been given hail lots- and I suppose voices have ben raised, but never have I had to stand there while someone hurled invectives at me- good thing, too. :)

Cheers-Garry

The only ones I‘ve seen doing any yelling in the last 16 years were the ones who didn‘t know the first thing about leadership. I‘ve seen plenty of mad NCOs and officers, but the ones worth their salt never felt the need to yell.

We‘re lucky to be in an Army with SHARP training, frankly; we don‘t have to put up with the morons who think decibels=respect. I can recall the last time I‘ve made a boneheaded decision, and can certainly recall the number of times I‘ve repeated them (very few), but I can‘t honestly recall any time I‘ve been yelled at.

Back