• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The "Wanting To Join Another Military" Thread- Them To Us- Us To Them

Done!  I've sent a PM to ComdCFRG and I'm writing up a CV now.  Chances are I wont be able to use it for a while but it saves trying to remember all the details a couple of years down the track. 

I'll hit up my Platoon Sgt, Pl Cmd, OC etc. for references as well as copies of my course reports.  In the short term I can use it to find a job in Canada when I head over in a couple of months - PHTLS trained bartender anyone?  ;D

I currently not a citizen of Canada, I have put my application through.

I have lived in Canada for quite some time and I believe I should help out, in anyway I can.

I am also a student in computer engineering.

My question is, what is the policy for Non-Citizens who want to enroll in the forces? Should I should I wait until my citizenship application is complete? Can one join the forces i.e. the Navy on a part time basis and finish their education first, I still have about three years left to finish my program?

Thank you

Bit of an update - managed to get copies of most of my course reports as well as some other bits and pieces.  Also got in touch with a SARTech who said he'll have an ask around and see what sort of info he can find.  ;D

Step 2: An electronic copy of the CV together with all supporting documents shall be forwarded under cover
(Annex B) for review by the sponsoring Branch Advisor (BA) or Managing Authority (MA) for that particular
occupation. If the sponsor wishes to pursue the enrolment of the applicant, a Prior Learning Assessment (PLA)
will be conducted in order to determine whether the applicant will in fact be considered as fully qualified in the
occupation. Once this has been completed the sponsor will notify CFRG HQ//SSO Selection in writing that the
applicant is considered suitable.

Does anyone know what the typical flash to bang time is for the BA to conduct the PLA and notify CFRG HQ?

Thanks

Does anyone know what the typical flash to bang time is for the BA to conduct the PLA and notify CFRG HQ?

Well, it depends on the Branch as each of the Advisors is pretty well acting in a secondary duty capacity, as is his/her Branch staff.  Much different from the British Army system where the various Corps Directors have primary responsibilities associated with their Corps (control of the school etc) and formation staff to support them.  It can be from several days to several weeks or longer if there are pressing primary duties that need to be addressed.

This is the case for a PLA of foreign experience/qualifications as much as for civilian training/education.

MKO said:
Well, it depends on the Branch as each of the Advisors is pretty well acting in a secondary duty capacity, as is his/her Branch staff.  Much different from the British Army system where the various Corps Directors have primary responsibilities associated with their Corps (control of the school etc) and formation staff to support them.  It can be from several days to several weeks or longer if there are pressing primary duties that need to be addressed.

This is the case for a PLA of foreign experience/qualifications as much as for civilian training/education.

Colonel

Thank you for the unexpected reply; I read that you had handed over to Commodore MacKeigan (1 May) so I am surprised to see you here.

My follow up paperwork only went in a couple of weeks ago so I guess it's 'wait out' for now - I appreciate the BAs are multitasking. As this represents not only a new career, but also a whole new life, I am somewhat on tenterhooks with anticipation. The wait (however long it maybe) will be worth it though if I am fortunate enough to be offered a place, hopefully my application will catch Colonel Myers on a good day.

I wish you good luck in your future appointment, whatever it may be.

B_A

I asked RC if I can obtain equivalence for my 12 years foreign military experience. They said he is not possible any recognition. Could you tell if I can get an partial equivalence? I passed all CF exams and presently I am in expecting an offer.
Thank you,
:cdn:

Ballistics said:
I asked RC if I can obtain equivalence for my 12 years foreign military experience. They said he is not possible any recognition. Could you tell if I can get an partial equivalence? I passed all CF exams and presently I am in expecting an offer.
Thank you,

What would you expect to get equivalencies on?  Who should have examined each of your courses in a foreign military to determine if there is even an overlap in skill requirements for Canadian qualifications?

Michael O'Leary said:
What would you expect to get equivalencies on?  Who should have examined each of your courses in a foreign military to determine if there is even an overlap in skill requirements for Canadian qualifications?

Because I will change my speciality, I didn’t expect a full equivalence. But I think a partial equivalence might be possible: training recruits (!??), military grade, years of military experiences (pay increments), some courses maybe, etc... I studied in munitions and missiles and I worked in technical field (ammunitions engineer) for a NATO country.

Ballistics said:
Because I will change my speciality, I didn’t expect a full equivalence. But I think a partial equivalence might be possible: training recruits (!??), military grade, years of military experiences (pay increments), some courses maybe, etc... I studied in munitions and missiles and I worked in technical field (ammunitions engineer) for a NATO country.

Which country, when? How long? What rank? What weapons systems? Are you a Canadian citizen?

Geez, I'm a nosey hoser, eh?

daftandbarmy said:
Which country, when? How long? What rank? What weapons systems? Are you a Canadian citizen?

Geez, I'm a nosey hoser, eh?

I worked in the Romanian Forces from 1989 to 2001. I was lieutenant. I worked in maintenance and repairs field - engineer officer for ground systems and ammunition. Yes, I'm Canadian citizen. Currently I am expecting an CF offer for my enrolment.

Ballistics- You should look into getting any technical qualifications recognised by a Canadian institution, this may cost some money but will make it easier for the CF to assess your skills and training. Also you should be prepared to submit your ENTIRE service history (assessments, reports, course reports, certificates, any discharge paperwork) to the RC. If the Romanian Army did not provide you with any of this and you did not keep copies, unfortunately you are SOL.

Just a note to others in the same situation as Ballistics:

NATO does not necessarily guarantee the same standards, doctrine, or TTP's between all member countries. Therefore finding equivalencies may not be as easy as one may think.

It is generally easiest to transfer between ABCA (Australia/NZ, Britain, Canada, America)countries, due to the commonality of doctrine, tactics and culture. Also, foreign ABCA training is easier to compare to CF qualifications for relevancy. The process for finding out if such equivalencies exist is known as PLAR (Prior Learning Assessment Review), where an applicants former service is assessed by Director Army Training, and equivalencies outlined in the offical offer.

That being said, should one find themselves joining, with previous military experience, but no equivalencies granted, if you are truly keen on serving in the CF, take it on the chin, knuckledown, and once in the field army/air force/navy, your experience and different skill set will allow you to bring something more to the table, and provided you aren't crap, your career ''should'' be adjusted accordingly. Transferring from the British Army, I took it as worst case having to do BMQ/SQ/QL3/5/PLQ over again, and should that have been the case, taken it with a slice of humble pie and treated as a nice refresher course! Luckily that wasn't the case in the end.

Thanks for your advice. Your answers are very relevant.
I did my equivalence studies by a Canadian institution and it helped me for my FC enrolment. That is why right now I’m in the final step to complete my enrolment selection process.

I didn’t knew about PLAR process. I will request more information once I'll receive the enrolment offer and I will finish my BOTC. I hope I will be an AERE or NCS ENG and have a new way in my military life.

Ballistics said:
Thanks for your advice. Your answers are very relevant.
I did my equivalence studies by a Canadian institution and it helped me for my FC enrolment. That is why right now I’m in the final step to complete my enrolment selection process.

I didn’t knew about PLAR process. I will request more information once I'll receive the enrolment offer and I will finish my BOTC. I hope I will be an AERE or NCS ENG and have a new way in my military life.

Suggestion: If you can, get a letter of reference from each of your previous supervisors explaining what you did, and how well you did it, in 'plain speak'. It helps clear lanes through the usual military acronym mine field.

MKO said:

A quick update for those who are interested; my PLA is now complete and I had a phone call from my recruiter today giving me the thumbs up  :).  I submitted my original application on 14 March, so it's only taken about 31/2 months to get the answer back, which was a lot quicker than I was expecting.

Time to trawl the net and research Cold Lake, Borden and Wainwright to see which is going to be the best bet.  ???

I have recently applied to the ROTP Program at RMC, and am taking the road to be an officer in the CF.  My Fiance from America is looking to join with me.  She is already a college grad and I am wondering how long it will take for her to become a citizen so she can be an officer aswell.  And if you know what process I need to go through to make this happen?

macknightcr said:
I have recently applied to the ROTP Program at RMC, and am taking the road to be an officer in the CF.  My Fiance from America is looking to join with me.  She is already a college grad and I am wondering how long it will take for her to become a citizen so she can be an officer aswell.  And if you know what process I need to go through to make this happen?

She does not meet one of the three criteria to join:

- Be a Canadian citizen.  Citizens of another country who have landed immigrant (Permanent Resident) status in Canada may also be considered for enrolment when the CF has need of their skill, when a Canadian citizen cannot fill the position, and if the national interest would not be prejudiced;

- Be 17 years of age (with parental/guardian consent) or older; junior level Military College applicants must be 16 years of age; you may be enrolled in the Reserves providing you are 16 years of age; and

- Meet the minimum education requirements for your entry plan and/or
occupation.

The only exception:

a. Applicants who are not Canadian citizens, but do hold Permanent Resident Status (NO LONGER accepted); and

b. Possess specialized skills/qualifications the CF has need of and cannot fill with a Canadian citizen; and

c. Do not pose a risk to any national interest; may only be enrolled into the CF if permission is granted by the Commander of the Canadian Forces Recruiting Group (CFRG).

If one does not currently hold Canadian citizenship, but have Permanent Resident status in Canada you will have to be granted a Citizenship Waiver by the Commander CFRG prior to starting any of the selection testing. In order to do this, you must provide a curriculum vitae (CV) or resumé to CFRG HQ. I believe that the format is available at: http://www.forces.ca/v3/engraph/resources/noncanadians_en.aspx?bhcp=1

[NOTE TO MODS:  This info was once easily accessible, but is no longer easy to find, due to it being merged into one large mega thread.]

Thanks for everything.  Just out of curiosity, because I have lived in America most of my life I don't know, what kind of life would we live in Canada with me being an officer?  Would it be more beneficial to stay in America, get married, and enlist here while she goes in as an officer?  I really want to move to Canada and serve my country, but I also want what is best for my family.

macknightcr said:
Thanks for everything.  Just out of curiosity, because I have lived in America most of my life I don't know, what kind of life would we live in Canada with me being an officer?  Would it be more beneficial to stay in America, get married, and enlist here while she goes in as an officer?  I really want to move to Canada and serve my country, but I also want what is best for my family.

To answer your question about if your life would be better in Canada or America depends on a number of factors and what your goals are. I am heading to BMQ July 6th and my wife and 2 young children will be staying in Kentucky until I get posted somewhere. After my wife and I where married we moved to Louisville because we could have a better life in Kentucky as a married couple expecting their first child then living in Toronto. Toronto is expensive and Louisville is one of the cheapest cost of living for a major city in North America. That being said living in both places myself I am confident my family will be better off back in Canada and me doing what I have dreamed of doing for a long time(serving my country)

Canada has a higher standard of living and the adjustment is easy. Make sure both partners are willing for the change and if so go for it. I may be bias because as Molson say's I am Canadian but my American wife feels the same way too. Also I humored my in laws and looked into the US Army and I will tell your your life will be much better in the CF the US Army on a number of fronts family wise.

Back