• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The "Wanting To Join Another Military" Thread- Them To Us- Us To Them

werger_9 said:
Hey everyone,

so I am new to the forum and have a question. I am currently a 4th year nuclear engineer looking to join the US nuclear sub division, because well Canada doesn't have one. Is it possible to join the US military even if i am a Canadian citizen or do I need a green carrd? my Grandmother was born in the states and I have relatives that live their currently. How should i go about this?

thanks everyone.

So you want to join the US Army:

First off, before you go running down to the recruiting station and wasting your recruiter’s time, here’s a few things that you need to know:

1)  Are you a US Citizen or a Permanent Resident of the United States (Greencard), if you’re not, then don’t even bother wasting their time.
2)  Security Clearance: You cannot be a dual national and hold a security clearance. So if you want to go Intel, MP etc. then you best be ready to drop your Canadian Citizenship, but don’t worry it’s actually not that hard, you just need to fill out a rather irritating form, and wait for the government to process it (processing times are between 8 months to a year).
3)  MEPS (Military Entrance Processing Station) here you’ll take your service medical, ASVAB, and FBI screening.
4)  Ship Date: Once you finally have completed all these requirements, you’ll ship to basic, and from basic you’ll head to AIT at whichever post it’s held.

Hopefully this helps, and make sure you study for the ASVAB and have all your documents ready, when you head to MEPS.

Good Luck.

werger_9 said:
Hey everyone,

so I am new to the forum and have a question. I am currently a 4th year nuclear engineer looking to join the US nuclear sub division, because well Canada doesn't have one. Is it possible to join the US military even if i am a Canadian citizen or do I need a green carrd? my Grandmother was born in the states and I have relatives that live their currently. How should i go about this?

thanks everyone.

Speaking as a walking Fig 11 with more than 30 years in and Grade 11 math (with a hard earned C grade), if you're that smart, why the heck would you want to join the military?

You could help put Japan back together while helping us colonize other planets (you know, like Cape Breton  ;D) in your spare time, or contract with a high paying firm that BUILD the friggin' nuke U-boats.

I dunno...  :dunno:

CDN Aviator said:
No, he/she wants to work on US nuclear submarines. That means joining the US Navy.

Well aside from changing the text, the key point is that the applicant must got through MEPS...but moreover since he isn't either a US National or a Green Card holder, there's no chance for him to apply at all.

Hi all,

I'm 26 this year and I am originally from the UK but have been living in Canada for the past year with my Canadian wife. Our spousal sponsorship should be done with early next year and I am looking to join the CF as an Imagery Technician. I was ready to apply for the British Navy before meeting my wife and due to her job, we decided it would be better for me to make the move to Canada.

Can anybody tell me, what sort of hurdles am I going to be looking towards? I've been told by a friend (currently in the CF) that I would likely have to join the reserves for a couple of years before I am eligible for the main forces as it will take a few years for me to reach status of full Canadian citizenship (passport status). Does the fact that I am from a Commonwealth country with Canada, have any advantage to me joining sooner rather than later?

What options do I have available to me right now?

Dan_P said:
Hi all,

I'm 26 this year and I am originally from the UK but have been living in Canada for the past year with my Canadian wife. Our spousal sponsorship should be done with early next year and I am looking to join the CF as an Imagery Technician. I was ready to apply for the British Navy before meeting my wife and due to her job, we decided it would be better for me to make the move to Canada.

Can anybody tell me, what sort of hurdles am I going to be looking towards? I've been told by a friend (currently in the CF) that I would likely have to join the reserves for a couple of years before I am eligible for the main forces as it will take a few years for me to reach status of full Canadian citizenship (passport status). Does the fact that I am from a Commonwealth country with Canada, have any advantage to me joining sooner rather than later?

Back when I first joined in the 90's it was common for non-citizens to join the reserves. Today, you need to have citizenship.

Reference:
http://www.forces.ca/en/page/faq-101

Plan to join the CF when you have your citizenship.

Dan_P said:
Hi all,

You'll need to have your citizenship before you'll get to have your application processed.  Some commonwealth countries have other standards, but this is the way we do it here.

In the meantime, make sure you are getting yourself in top physical condition.  Don't sit around doing nothing.  Get some work, preferably in a related civilian occupation.  Education upgrading is well regarded (IT and photography are preferable in this case).  Volunteering is also good.  There's lot of good advice on the forums about how to make sure you have a strong, competitive application.  There's also some not so good advice from time to time, so read the threads first, and clarify any points as required.

Image tech is a small trade, and has a pretty wide appeal.  Aim for it, but make sure you know what your plan B is.  If you decide on a second occupation choice in the military, make sure it is something you could enjoy for the entire time you're in the CF; remusters are possible, but in no way guaranteed.

Welcome to Canada, and best of luck.

agc said:
You'll need to have your citizenship before you'll get to have your application processed.  Some commonwealth countries have other standards, but this is the way we do it here.

In the meantime, make sure you are getting yourself in top physical condition.  Don't sit around doing nothing.  Get some work, preferably in a related civilian occupation.  Education upgrading is well regarded (IT and photography are preferable in this case).  Volunteering is also good.  There's lot of good advice on the forums about how to make sure you have a strong, competitive application.  There's also some not so good advice from time to time, so read the threads first, and clarify any points as required.

Image tech is a small trade, and has a pretty wide appeal.  Aim for it, but make sure you know what your plan B is.  If you decide on a second occupation choice in the military, make sure it is something you could enjoy for the entire time you're in the CF; remusters are possible, but in no way guaranteed.

Welcome to Canada, and best of luck.

Thanks for everyone's replies so far.

I've definitely taken the training into account, I used to train contact sports in the UK and since moving here I've taken up bouldering and do daily calisthenics. I'm only worried about the distance running/full-kit marching. I've also been studying college and university level photography for around 9 years so far and am going into my 2nd year at the School of Photographic Arts in Ottawa, this September so I'm hoping that will stand me in good stead when I submit an application. Volunteering is something I will work on.

I do have a second option but it's perhaps a bit bold as things stand right now, I have thought about some kind of structural engineering position as I almost went to Architectural school a few years back (instead of my photography degree) and still have an interest in architecture and building. However I don't have any formal education in it, so unless they decide I'm eligible for funded education, I might have to dig through the occupations list again.

One more question. I've just searched through the forums for things relating to tattoos but there appears to be a lot of results and I can't differentiate between posts concerning tattoos going into the military and people discussing tattoo parlors and ideas. So, just to confirm, the CF doesn't deny entry based on a large coverage of tattoos unless they are above the collarbone and/or are offensive? Neither of these apply to me, but I do have extensive work on my torso and arms and would like to get my hands and legs done in the future. Is it suggested for me to get my hand/leg tattoo's done before I join/before I apply or after I have joined/applied or after I have already served some time in the CF?

Thanks!

If it fits under standard clothing, normally people will look the other way. Lots of people have tattoos, and lots of them in the CF. Hand tattoos are a little iffy, but I've seen people get away with having them done while serving and they didn't face any discipline for it.

Current policy says no tattoos visible on the hands, chest or neck when an open collared long sleeve shirt is worn.  You can be rejected from the application process if you have them.

Greetings :)

I'm a new resident of Quebec, having moved here from the U.S. to live with my girlfriend and newborn son.  I am still in the U.S. Army, driving across the border regularly for training.  I'll be eligible for citizenship in Canada at about the same time my enlistment is up, and intend to go into the Canadian Army and make a career out of it.

What do you guys anticipate having a demand for, since I'll be finishing my degree while I'm waiting and still have some flexibility at this point (my current focus is IT security)?

My background is mostly in cryptology, and I do speak Chinese (and am working hard on French now), but I'm currently in an infantry brigade and tend to prefer ruck marches in the mountains over a cubicle and a computer.  But either could work depending on where the demand is.

Also, does anyone know if certain qualifications are transferable?  Not worried so much about ribbons and medals and stuff, but was wondering if I can still wear my air assault and mountain warfare badges.  I ask only because I've seen Canadian soldiers taking these courses in the U.S before, so I would assume the qualification is the same.

The only tabs I've seen authorized for wear on a CF uniform was a Ranger Tab and SF Tab, and only on dress uniform.

You won't really find anything by way of ruck marching with a focus on cryptology or IT security. We tend to hide those people in cubicles.

If you do join the CF,  you would only be able to wear US badges like Air Assault on DEUs if you go down to the US for an event.  As for qualifications carrying over, I'm sure you can have it noted on your file, and some may courses may show up on the MPRR.  You would be able to find that all out in the recruiting process I would imagine,  or at least have a PLAR done once you show up to your unit once you are done your training.

agc said:
Current policy says no tattoos visible on the hands, chest or neck when an open collared long sleeve shirt is worn.  You can be rejected from the application process if you have them.

You can have tattoo's on your hands, so long as they aren't offensive.

I have wanted to get into the Canadian forces a few years now.  I didn't know there was a specific time that was best to apply the first time I applied 2 years ago (when they only hired 5000 new recruits).  Last year (Only took 2500 new recruits) I was on time but because of some complications with moving across the country things were delayed, apparently by a little too much, and again I missed the boat.  This year I swore I'd do everything to make sure I applied as early as possible and consistently stayed in touch with CFRC to avoid any confusion.  Apparently this year they're only taking 1500 new recuits and, as of right now, they're not taking ANY Infantry or Combat Engineers (which are the two trades I'd want).

So, I'd like your thoughts on joining a foreign military.  I considered applying for the US Army, US Marines, British Army, or who knows... if I could meet the standards maybe Royal Marines, though I'm not sure of the requirements. 

Some of my concerns:

From what I understand the US Army requires you to become a US Citizen first and they don't allow a dual citizenship anymore.  So I guess that means I'd have to give up my Canadian citizenship??  I'm not sure I could do that. 

The British Army are part of the commonwealth so I wouldn't have to give up my citizenship or gain one there, as far as I know, but it's a really long way from home.  I live in Windsor, ON which is actually south of Detroit.  The American culture poors into this city a little more, I think, then the rest of the country.  I think the US and Canada, are a lot alike - at least compared to Canada and the UK.

I'm still researching different options.  My whole problem is that I feel like my opportunity to be the most that I can be in the army is slipping away.  I'm 28 now and not getting any younger.  I know people join at much older ages then this but I'd really like to excel to levels that require a very high level of physical fitness.  Don't ask why I didn't attempt to get in sooner.  That opportunity is gone and I'm looking forward.

I am a proud Canadian but serving as a soldier is what I want to do and I may not have that chance in the Candian forces.  I feel a little guilty considering joining a different army.  Is this selfish or childish of me?

Would love your honest opinions. Thanks.

There is a few threads on this subject.  Also you do not require US citizenship to join the Army and Marines only a green card. But,  no citizenship no security clearance which means limited job options.  Also the US Military will not sponsor you for a green card. Unless you are a green card holder or US citizen or an immediate family member is you are SOL.  I think you maybe at the max age to join the USMC Active Duty as well.

Info regarding recruitment for the Royal Marine such as requirements, physical requirements, joining as a non UK resident are online. Visit their website and contact them for more info as required.

Also don't feel guilty about thinking about this. You wouldn't be the first;  and there have been numerous Canadians who have joined the US and UK Military.

Don't feel guilty. You wouldn't be the first Canadian to serve in a foreign army. That being said, you need to make your mind up sharpish as you are approaching the upper limit of age for both RM and the British Army. You are already too old to join the British Army as an officer.

Also if you are considering RM you better be in top physical fitness i.e. 2.4km in <9 minutes, 60 pushups, 60 situps, 10 chin-ups, that sort of thing.

Confirming what a couple people have said regarding the U.S. military as well as adding a few more things...

Assuming you can find a way to get residency in the U.S. (finding someone to marry is probably the easiest way :p), you shouldn't have any issues joining the military.  Only the clearance will be an issue until you gain citizenship.  However, being in the military allows you to apply for citizenship under different rules, the most important of which is that instead of having to wait for 3 to 5 years (depending on your type of residency), you only have to serve in the U.S. military for 1 year in order to be eligible for citizenship.  If you serve during times of hostility (such as right now), you don't even have to wait a year.  You might find this interesting:  http://usmilitary.about.com/od/theorderlyroom/a/citizenship.htm

As far as age, that's already going to be an issue with the Marines.  For the Army, however, you still have a few more years.  I think the limit is 35 right now.  I don't know exactly what you're looking for (support, infantry, elite, etc.), but regardless of the age limit for the Army as a whole, the age limit for special forces is 30.  You can, however, still go to Ranger school, air assault, jump school, etc., and there are some pretty hard core units out there.  10th Mountain out of Fort Drum, for example, is top notch in my opinion, and they'll probably even give you a chance to go to the Army Mountain Warfare School and, after that, the assault climber school, in Vermont.

To be honest, I'm actually asking myself many of the same questions.  I'm 34 years old and have recently moved to Quebec to be with my girlfriend and son, but I'm still on drill status with the U.S. Army, having put in 6 years of active service and going on 6 years of National Guard service.  Now I'm considering joining the Canadian Forces, but I'm having second thoughts.  There is no doubt in my mind that I don't ever want to be anything other than a soldier.  Civilian life bores the hell out of me, and I love the looks of the CF overall.  But starting over at age 35 means I'd be an old man by the time I could get a decent pension out of it, or I could convince my girlfriend to let me go back to the U.S. Army and finish out my retirement there.  Either way, it's all about finances really.  We're all on the same team, more or less, fighting the same fight.  That said, other preferences aside, if you're looking for action the U.S. military has plenty of it.

Also, the pay difference...  At first glance, I looked at the pay chart and got the impression that the Canadian Forces pays considerably better.  But after learning how deductions work, that's adding to my second thoughts.  In the U.S. military my base pay is slightly lower (at a similar rank), but if I have a family and live off base, I get an untaxed basic housing allowance of about 1k to 1.5k depending on where I'm stationed.  In the CF I'd make a slightly higher base pay, but I'd just receive less deductions for living off base with a family.

But anyway, just sharing my thoughts with you since you may find yourself considering the same things :)

Ultimately, financial issues aside, I'd be proud to serve either country.

AimzHigh said:
I have wanted to get into the Canadian forces a few years now.  I didn't know there was a specific time that was best to apply the first time I applied 2 years ago (when they only hired 5000 new recruits).  Last year (Only took 2500 new recruits) I was on time but because of some complications with moving across the country things were delayed, apparently by a little too much, and again I missed the boat.  This year I swore I'd do everything to make sure I applied as early as possible and consistently stayed in touch with CFRC to avoid any confusion.  Apparently this year they're only taking 1500 new recuits and, as of right now, they're not taking ANY Infantry or Combat Engineers (which are the two trades I'd want).

So, I'd like your thoughts on joining a foreign military.  I considered applying for the US Army, US Marines, British Army, or who knows... if I could meet the standards maybe Royal Marines, though I'm not sure of the requirements. 

Some of my concerns:

From what I understand the US Army requires you to become a US Citizen first and they don't allow a dual citizenship anymore.  So I guess that means I'd have to give up my Canadian citizenship??  I'm not sure I could do that. 

The British Army are part of the commonwealth so I wouldn't have to give up my citizenship or gain one there, as far as I know, but it's a really long way from home.  I live in Windsor, ON which is actually south of Detroit.  The American culture poors into this city a little more, I think, then the rest of the country.  I think the US and Canada, are a lot alike - at least compared to Canada and the UK.

I'm still researching different options.  My whole problem is that I feel like my opportunity to be the most that I can be in the army is slipping away.  I'm 28 now and not getting any younger.  I know people join at much older ages then this but I'd really like to excel to levels that require a very high level of physical fitness.  Don't ask why I didn't attempt to get in sooner.  That opportunity is gone and I'm looking forward.

I am a proud Canadian but serving as a soldier is what I want to do and I may not have that chance in the Candian forces.  I feel a little guilty considering joining a different army.  Is this selfish or childish of me?

Would love your honest opinions. Thanks.

28, confused and feeling guilty about foresaking your native land? The French Foreign Legion is what you need my good man! If you flunk out and aren't crippled you could always try the British Army, except their food is worse.

Seriously, forget it. If you have to post on here for soemone to get you all fired up about doing something risky and exciting, you might want to think about staying in Canada.  ;D

Thanks for all your input.  I really appreciate it.  I'll check out the links that were posted.

You too daftandbarmy.  Clearly an insightful intellect and an excellent judge of character.  You can read me like a book.  And from only a few short paragraphs!  Amazing.  Yours is the advice I'll take most to heart.

Back