• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The sexyness level of various naval things.........

Even though it's not part of the category that this thread is about I have to agree, the Kirov class battlecruisers are among the most beautifully designed warships in the history of naval architecture.  I remember the first time I saw a picture of one.  When I was in Secondary School one of my classmates would always have the latest issue of Jane's Fighting Ships which he always generously lent me.  In one of them I saw a picture of the Kirov class battlecruiser Frunze (I hope I remember the spelling right).

In a word I was awestruck.

The Kirov was one of the reasons the Reagan Admin reattivated the BB's in the eights as a response.  I think one of Tom Clancy books even had a "battle" scene between the two.

Although this is not for the sexiest warship its for the sexiest frigate and destroyer class.....

Always a favourite of mine........like the beautiful B&W movie starlets of the 30's and 40's

TribalDD_HMS_Afridi.jpg

The Tribal class of WWII.  Arguably the most famous of any Canadian ships, (We can talk about the Flowers another time)

Mod: to add class of ship

What's a battlecruiser doing in a destroyer/frigate thread? ;D Next thing we know it we'll be putting those old King George V class battleships from the WW2 era Royal Navy on this thread as well...hehe.

Would someone mind answering my question about the ram bow? Or is this thread just for eye candy?

Personally I'm attracted to more of the tin can variety

DASH_Mem_AULT20in20Malta.jpg

And a sexier view of the Ault

800px-

Edit: To fix links

I think (correct me if I'm wrong) during the Crimean War there was a battle and more ships were sunk by ramming than by gunfire, so therefore ship designers thought that ram was a viable weapon. Of course this did not prove true during the first world war however it does increase the speed of a ship and possible its stability(?) which would make sense as that DDWhatever thing has rather low gunwales.

Visby Class Corvette, (not a frigate but still the best looking ship out there)

[edit] I wonder if she comes in CADPAT :p

I've seen alot of different frigates and destroyers at sea but i still think that our very own Halifax class looks pretty good. They sure make for some great photos

(Picture by yours truely)

Well speaking of the Halifax class here is a nice view of the HMCS Toronto

00012B93.jpg

Another battlecruiser from another era that inspires respect- HMS Renown. This BC's war record from both World Wars rivals that of the battleship HMS Warspite. This is a picture of her in WW2, after the massive refit/overhaul which gave her a superstructure much like that of the newer King George V class battleships of the time.

Off Topic:
Well since it seems non frigates are fair game i have to offer one sugestion ;)
As for frigates I have always liked the halifax class for looks

OK I GIVE UP, I GIVE UP ;D  If the mods have no problem with it you guys can mention a cruiser, battlecruiser or battleship that you think has a sexy figure.  But please no aircraft carriers or submarines, that would make it ridiculous.  Seriously though, my reason for specifying destroyers/frigates is because they are the largest main surface combatants in most first rate navies today (I was planning to start a thread in the future on all main surface combatants, both past and present).

Fewer navies are using cruisers, interestingly though, the new Type 45 can probably be seen as a light cruiser in terms of its size and capabilities, just like the Type 82 prototype of the '80's.  I'd be interested to hear if you navy types (who know more about these things than I do) agree.

P.S. I have to agree with CDN Aviator and warspite, the Halifax Class is one of the best looking warships out there. :p

How about submarines ? I think the Antey class is sexie just wouldnt want to serve in one. ;D

oscar1.jpg

The clean lines of a Los Angeles Class SSN running the surface. This is the USS Hellena

(another pic by yours tuely)

For subs I'd have to say our Victoria's have a certain appeal to them, but these new German ones can sure turn heads:

The Arleigh Burkes are the size of WW1 battleships so in terms of capability designations such as cruiser are falling by the wayside. Designations these days seem to be leaning towards what role the warship assumes.

Ex-Dragoon said:
The Arleigh Burkes are the size of WW1 battleships so in terms of capability designations such as cruiser are falling by the wayside. Designations these days seem to be leaning towards what role the warship assumes.

True, i've noticed that present day designations are often more based on the ship's role than its size.  Oh and guys as for the sub photos, very funny. ;)

Back