• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The Russian Military Merged Thread- Navy

The Russians will scramble to keep from losing one of their biggest clients to western aircraft. Worst case the Indians can buy the Rafale.

Has the United States authorized sale of F-35's to India?

My recollection was that they had previously balked at that, but had offered Superhornet and latest generation of F-16 (which in this case, would not be applicable) with one of the biggest hurdles being that India was demanding some technology transfer and domestic production.

Matthew.  :salute:

The US hasnt authorized the sale of the F-35 to India. However, Lockheed had offered at one time the F-35 if India bought F-16's at the same price. While we are definitely getting closer to India I dont see us sharing technology with them that would put their aerospace industry in a competitive position. If we wont sell the F-22 to our closest friends I just dont think the F-35 will go to India,but who knows what the future holds ?

Lockheed offering the F-35 to India can have some really complex repercussions. India is already in a JV with Russia for the Fifth generation Fighter Aircraft (FGFA) that -may- be comparable to the F-35. Yes, while the F-35 has a significant developmental headstart, its induction into the Indian Airforce would come at the same time as the FGFA, if ever. Also, the F-35 has some restrictions on the Transfer of Technology on the American side and mandatory domestic production clauses on the Indian side that may make it more unattractive.

The main market in India that I see for the F-35 would be the navy. India has planned to have 3 aircraft carriers and the F-35 might be purchased for them. But here too the F-35 would face competition from the naval LCA and the MiG 29Ks specially being made for the Indian navy.
    But then again, no one knows what the future holds. Afterall, the current Indian-US relation were inconcieveable only a decade ago.

With regards to the Russian demands for more money, I think India has no choice but to give in. There will be much hand wringing and head shaking in India but the Russians do have the upper hand. They know India will soon be without a carrier and the "Gorshkov" is essential to the Indian naval plans.

My CAD $ .02

I remember reading somewhere (please don't ask me for a source I can't recall) that Russia might want to raise the costs of putting Gorshkov back to sea so high that India might cancel the contract.  Then the Russian Navy could take the carrier back for cheap money.

As a counter argument, the Russian Navy is planning to name the Project 22350 class frigate after Admiral Gorshkov.  Therefore if the Russian Navy is making a ploy to get the carrier back for cheap then it may have to rename it.

Cheers

The Russians rename ships as often as most people change underwear so I would not expect the name of the first Project 22350 frigate to be carved in stone.

Alright, considering that Russia has been reportedly exporting warships like those Sovremenny class destroyers and those Kilo class submarines for China in recent years, then how much truth is there to this report?

Russian Navy facing 'irreversible collapse'

The Russian Navy is currently on the verge of 'irreversible collapse', according to a recent analysis published by the authoritative Moscow-based weekly - the Independent Military Review . The report, entitled 'BMF RF [Naval Military Fleet of the Russian Federation] on Foreign Warships', says the main cause for the 'collapse' is the state of the Russian shipbuilding industry, which is "incapable of producing warships in either the quantity or at the level of quality that their navy customer requires" for the future...

[first posted to http://jdw.janes.com - 10 July 2009]

They may be looking at other nations besides China to open up markets; nations that want better quality products.  Unable to provide the quality, they are not finding the customers.  Some customers, like China, North Korea, etc. place less value on their personnel as do Western nations and some of the emerging nations.  They may have higher "Safety" concerns for their crews than previous Communist customers did and still do.

CougarDaddy said:
Alright, considering that Russia has been reportedly exporting warships like those Sovremenny class destroyers and those Kilo class submarines for China in recent years, then how much truth is there to this report?

Did you not post an article on 18 July that the Russians cut 2 frigate programs....

Ex-Dragoon said:
Did you not post an article on 18 July that the Russians cut 2 frigate programs....

Perhaps that thread should be merged with this then?

Before I read this article, I just wrongly inferred that cutting those 2 programs were not indicative of the overall state of their shipbuilding industry.

At least no one was hurt.

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/s/afp/090724/oddities/russia_military_accident_offbeat

Russian warship accidently fires on apartment block

Fri Jul 24, 12:00 PM

VLADIVOSTOK, Russia (AFP) - A Russian warship preparing for a holiday celebration accidentally fired a dummy artillery shell into the courtyard of an apartment building here on Friday, officials said.

Nobody was hurt but the shell's impact broke windows and left a small crater outside the nine-storey apartment building in Vladivostok, a port city on Russia's Pacific Ocean coast close to China and Japan.

"There were no explosives in the dummy shell," Roman Martov, a spokesman for Russia's Vladivostok-based Pacific Fleet, told AFP.

"The reasons why the rocket-assisted projectile flew a greater distance than it had been assigned are unknown," he added.

Local police said in a statement that the impact shattered the windows of several apartments and scattered fragments of rock and glass on nearby cars, but added that there were no injuries.

The warship that fired the shell was taking part in rehearsals for Sunday's planned celebrations of the annual Navy Day holiday, which traditionally include a ceremonial procession of warships and mock naval battles.

The rocket assisted projectile????
...flew a greater distance than assigned???
I hate it when they do that!!!!

We did something like this in the 90's in Victoria with a chaff rocket. through a guy's garage roof. he heard the crash opened the door and poof tinsel everywhere.

my72jeep said:
We did something like this in the 90's in Victoria with a chaff rocket. through a guy's garage roof. he heard the crash opened the door and poof tinsel everywhere.

I think that story got embellished a little over the years.  It was an inert practice round.

http://catless.ncl.ac.uk/Risks/18.40.html#subj1

I was at Work Point at the time it was a Chaff round.

http://greenspun.com/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg.tcl?msg_id=002jth

In August 1996, the Navy accidentally launched a 20-kilogram, 1.5-metre long chaff missile from HMCS Regina into the neighbouring community of View Royal.

The missile travelled almost three kilometres before crashing through a garage roof behind Pete's Tent and Awning, located on the main street in View Royal.

There were no injuries, but the missile, which was not loaded with explosives, embedded itself into the ground after hitting the garage.

Back