• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The Red Fridays Foundation of Canada & Repatriation Memorial Rally (May 08): Objections & Praise

Red Rally convoy retraces final journey of fallen Canadian soldiers

Sat May 31, 7:54 PM

TRENTON, Ont. - Dressed in red and waving Canadian flags, people of all ages came out to rally in support of troops fighting in Afghanistan, and especially the 83 that have paid the ultimate price, as part of the first "Red Rally."

A massive convoy estimated to be about 1,000 motorcycles and vehicles long snaked along Hwy 401 between Trenton, Ont., and Toronto throughout the afternoon to retrace the route fallen soldiers take when they are repatriated to Canada.

That stretch has been named the Highway of Heroes.

The rally included 83 red vehicles, the donated lead car bearing the names of all those who have died while serving in Afghanistan.

A painted transport truck depicting a Canadian Forces motif and a bus loaded with the relatives of 13 deceased soldiers also joined the convoy, which was greeted by cheering supporters at every overpass along the highway.

It's a scene not altogether uncommon when the body of a dead soldier is returned to Canada, but organizer Brian Muntz said relatives are not always able to appreciate the moving display of support when they're in the throws of sorrow.

"There are many families who either didn't have the opportunity to see the people on the bridges and to go down the Highway of Heroes, and some of them who don't remember much of it when it happened and they wanted to do it again," he said.

Jane Byers, whose son David was killed by a suicide bomber in September 2006, said it was an emotional day, but one that gives her a chance to thank all those who've supported her family.

"That September afternoon when we left Trenton with our son, it took us by total surprise seeing the amount of people who had come out to show us that the people of Canada really do care," she said.

"Today, I would like to express my thanks to the people who take the time to come out and honour our sons, daughters, husbands, fathers, brothers wives and sisters.

"We cannot express the feelings that we had on that day or even for the support that is shown us here today," she said before the first batch of vehicles began pulling out.

The day began below stormy skies and amid some controversy but it wasn't long before the sun came out along with the families who had nothing but positive things to say about the event.

The original founders of the Red Fridays campaign, which urges Canadians to support the military by wearing red on the last day of the work week, raised concerns about the rally earlier in the week, suggesting some military families didn't approve of having their loved ones' names printed on a vehicle.

Muntz said the people behind the Red Rally campaign are also doing good work and he was "saddened" by the reaction.

Christine Caswell, whose stepson Darryl was the 57th soldier to die in Afghanistan, said she was "bewildered" by all the negative press.

"It took a lot of work to do this and no matter what way the troops get their support, it doesn't matter," she said after a brief pre-rally ceremony that included speeches and a pipe and drum presentation.

"It's people out there giving support and that's the important thing."

Caswell came to the event from Bowmanville, Ont., and enjoyed the opportunity to swap tales with other relatives. Among them were Juanita Bartsh and her husband who travelled all the way from Whitecourt, Alta., to witness the route their deceased son Cole took when he was returned home to Canada last July.

"I think it's wonderful that this many people want to remember our boys," Bartsch said.

"I think the more people that support and know the boys, what the boys are doing, the better it makes me feel."

Muntz said the event was also aimed at raising money for the Canadian Hearing Society, which supports Canadian veterans.

Many veterans, cadets, nearby residents and people with loved ones in the armed forces were among the participants. Even a reservist in army fatigues joined the festivities.

"It's a good opportunity for me to come out here and show my support for my fellow soldiers, fallen or not," said Cpl. Victor Hriech, who is based in Trenton, noting he trained with several of the deceased soldiers and considers them his "very, very good friends."

Muntz said his parents were liberated by Canadian troops in the Netherlands during the Second World War and that he founded the Red Fridays Foundation of Canada, which ran the event, out of a deep respect for the troops.

"I was taught to always respect this country for what they had done for our family," he said.

"This is just something I wanted to do out of my heart."

I wonder how much money was raised with this rally and I wonder how much of it will actually go to the charities that Brian Muntz has chosen? ::) 

And I am sorry that Mrs. Arnold's wishes were not followed through with.  :'(

"It's a good opportunity for me to come out here and show my support for my fellow soldiers, fallen or not," said Cpl. Victor Hriech, who is based in Trenton, noting he trained with several of the deceased soldiers and considers them his "very, very good friends."

That's my buddy Vic.

It would seem that Cpl Arnold's name was never removed or covered up at all.

Article Link

'Red Rally' rolls down Highway of Heroes

The first "Red Rally" in support of Canadian soldiers kicked off Saturday afternoon in Trenton, Ont., as a contingent of motorcycles and cars retraced the journey a fallen soldier takes when repatriated to Canada.

CTV.ca News Staff

The event started with clouds in the sky and controversy brewing from some military families, but the sun came out and the family members of 13 fallen soldiers joined in the rally.

Some of the original founders of the Red Fridays Campaign raised concerns that some military families did not approve of the event because it was taking donations and that the car leading the rally was donated by a local dealership.

Brian Wilkins, a spokesperson for the Red Fridays Foundation of Canada, told CTV Newsnet he didn't know why anyone would criticize raising money for a charity.

"They supply (services) for our veterans," he said of the rally's chosen charity, the Canadian Hearing Society.

The event was led by a car with the names of the 83 soldiers who died in Afghanistan decorated on it.

Wilkins said that 510 motorcycles and 122 cars, including 83 red ones, took part in the event. They drove from Trenton to Toronto's Downsview Park along the part of Highway 401 recently renamed the "Highway of Heroes."

He said he hadn't heard of any problems, but one woman asked that a soldier's name be taken off the car, on behalf of the fallen soldier's wife.

Wilkins said because the fallen soldier's parents were attending the rally and wanted his name on the car, and the wife did not attend the rally, they decided to keep his name on the car.

More on article link.

PMedMoe said:
It would seem that Cpl Arnold's name was never removed or covered up at all.

He said he hadn't heard of any problems, but one woman asked that a soldier's name be taken off the car, on behalf of the fallen soldier's wife.

Wilkins said because the fallen soldier's parents were attending the rally and wanted his name on the car, and the wife did not attend the rally, they decided to keep his name on the car.

More on article link.

It's very sad to see things like this play out in public.

While I feel for the parents, Kerry Arnold is the survivor in this instance and the designated immediate primary NOK - and her husband designated her as such.  At the end of the day, if there are conflicts with names/images being "used/misused" -- it is his widow's wishs that should have prevailed.

This situation can certainly not be easy on any of the family members invovled, but all could have been avoided had the Red Friday's organization taken the proper legal steps in requesting express written consent from the Immediate designated NOK from the outset.

It's a very sad day. May we remember his sacrifice and may all of Glen's loved ones be able to overcome any obstacles and take comfort in the knowledge that we do care.

May the media respect the dignity of the people involved and let them mourn their loss in private - that would be the respectful thing to do.

As Karen stated, her and I attended a wonderfully emotional and supportive (Support our troops) event
it was an event that stirred the emotions and made you proud to be Canadian!
We honoured our CF members (past, present and future) we also honoured our fallen

While driving home, we seen the drive part of the rally/event that Red Fridays Foundation of Canada held .... the people on the over passes were spectacular
Whether I agree with the re enactment of the repat drive is neither here nor there ... SOME did and they participated to show their support
There support was amazing regardless of our mixed feelings

Kerry, I am saddened that you have had to deal with this emotion event
We understand that some families of our fallen found comfort in this event and we support them in that ... but the fact is a good number of the families didn't know/ or didnt agree with the names being on the car and/or the re enactment ... and before and event like this (the drive) takes place the organization should make sure that ALL parties are comfortable with this ... give THEM the choice

Continue to show your support ... visually &  vocally!

After following some of the media coverage on this event over the past week I decided that I would go and check out the Rally for myself.  While there I spoke to one of the organizers at length about what was said in the media.  I have to say that I got a very good impression from the man and he seemed to be to be very sincere in his desire to do something good for the troops and the families. 

Speaking of the families, from what I saw, those that did attend the rally were treated with a great deal of respect.  I am sorry to hear that there was some disagreement about Cpl. Arnold's name being on the car.  However, (and this may not be a popular opinion considering the tone of this discussion) I would think that as long as it is being displayed in good taste, which I thought it was, and the goal of the event is to show support for the troops and for the families of the fallen, then why would anybody object to it? 

I realize this may offend some of you but I have to be honest.  In my opinion, much of the information that was included in the Sun's article last week which is being repeated here seems to be more speculation than fact.  It may turn out that these people are scam-artists but before we condemn them, perhaps we should give them the benefit of the doubt.  If they really are sincere then they should be encouraged and thanked rather than attacked.

That's my two cents.  It's not intended to offend anybody and certainly not intended to disrespect Mrs. Arnold.  Hopefully everything works out for the best.

Bruce87 said:

That's my two cents.  It's not intended to offend anybody and certainly not intended to disrespect Mrs. Arnold.  Hopefully everything works out for the best.

I don't think anyone is offended by your post.  But, I DO think you're missing the point. 

The organizers of this event stated that names would be removed if there were valid objections to those names being included.  Valid objections were made, names were not removed.

That's the issue, in a nutshell.

I'm sure that the families were treated very well. If it were my son or daughter, I imagine I would forever publicly mourn my child. However, as a spouse, there comes a point where you need to move on and begin living again. Imagine how tiring it can get to be paraded about as a "celebrity". Trust me when I say there is a huge difference in my mourning period and that of my husband's extended family. He was part of our everyday lives and we have not had the luxury of taking a break from it as have the parents and siblings. No offense intended to anyone. And yes, my husband's family knows this is how I feel. The good thing about this is that we have seemed to work through our grief much quicker. We have faced every single day without him. His extended family however had the luxury after the funeral to go back home and get back to their lives. They got a break. But the flip side is that it takes longer to work through the grief as they really only notice the absence at family gatherings. Good thing is that we seem to be strong when the other part of the family needs our support.

That being said, it's a lot of hard work to get to this point in our lives. To have our loved ones names being used whenever someone feels like it, without regard for the families wishes, is in bad taste. Had the vehicle been explained to us and permission asked, most families would have no objection. However, I personally would not like to see that car parked next to mine ever. And I don't appreciate someone thinking they can just use his name or image however they see fit. I know my husband's wishes and views on the subject. As a very private person, he would not want his name used whenever someone felt like it. And as his NOK, it is my job to make sure his wishes are followed. All the families ask is for people to consider how we feel and to actally contact us if they want to do those kinds of activities. Trust me when I say there comes a point for us when it has to end and we become private citizens again.

We do support the troops. And if this rally had been about our serving members, rather than the fallen, no controversy would have ensued from the families of the fallen.

Playing devil avocate (as per) I wonder if the organiser can turn around and charge people for slander if the allegations are not correct?

Personally if I was attempting to do something to support the troop's and had my name dragged through the mud (assuming the allegations that have been brought forward here are false or invalid) I would never do anything to try and support our troop's again and may take legal action against a few people.

X-mo-1979 said:
Playing devil avocate (as per) I wonder if the organiser can turn around and charge people for slander if the allegations are not correct?

Personally if I was attempting to do something to support the troop's and had my name dragged through the mud (assuming the allegations that have been brought forward here are false or invalid) I would never do anything to try and support our troop's again and may take legal action against a few people.

I haven't seen the organizer's name dragged through the mud ...

I have seen the legitimate /concerns raised of his collection of donations (without receipts to donators) which he then "donates" to charities as a "foundation" (for which his foundation can collect receipts as they are then considered the "donator").

CFPSA / MFRC Red Friday's are not part and parcel of "The Red Fridays Foundation". There are also legitmate concerns with the likeness in names being utilized where one is indeed a "foundation" rather than a charity (thus is considered to be a "for profit enterprise").

CFPSA / MFRC Red Fridays are all about "Supporting Our Troops." All of them. Monies raised by CFPSA / MFRC Red Friday events, ribbons and rallys etc, goes directly towards providing services for military members and familes such as counselling, coffee breaks to get out and relax while a loved one is deployed, support groups for families, emergency & respite childcare for children of deployed members in order to allow the parent at home some time to relax, activity periods such as arts & crafts groups and peer support groups for the kids, care parcels for deployed members, etc etc.

Every dollar in profit that CFPSA / MFRC raises goes directly towards these things.

The important thing to remember is to read the fine print of ANY entity that you would feel inclined to donate monies to, or buy merchandise from.

If you want to support a chartiable cause --- supporting that cause directly with your donation vice going through a third party ... will go a long way to alleviate anxiety about where "exactly" your money is going.

Saying that which I've said above is not slamming the individual. It's your money -- when in doubt ... donate it wisely. If you wish to Support your Troops with donations, there are a great many registered charitable organizations through which you can do this directly.

So I wrote Brian Wilkins an email, asking a few questions regarding my views, his views, money etc. This was the reply I got....

[Fwd: concerns]‏
Sent: June 3, 2008 2:24:30 PM

Hello, I'm Brian Wilkins,spokesman for the red fridays foundation of canada.I recieved your letter and would like to try and straighten out a fewissues you addressed.First off...this email will be followed by another titled pictures.

Read this and it will show you are wrong about the origins of this movement andthe website.All monies raised from this rally are ear marked,under contract to theCanadian Hearing society,they do amazing work with our veterans sufferingfrom battle induced hearing loss.As far as the $6,000 donation you mentioned,the $1,000 donation to theCFPSA was made in the fall of 2007.

The $5,000 donation recieved last week was from the Ontario Command of the Legion.Another donation was made fromthe Oshawa naval club and this money is going to the hearing society.We had 13 families who lost their sons in afghanistan at the rally onsaturday,so I don't understand how you figure this wasn;t about ourtroops.

Also in attendence was soldiers I worked with in afghanistan,and we all stood together and cried looking at the car with their friends names on it.Yes,I was in afghanistan in a civilian role from the fall of 2006 until april 2007,so please don't tell me I don't support our troops.

The hundreds Brian has helped was in the form of shirts given for their fund raising,pins,advice and in one instance,a family he gave money to because when they wanted their son buried at home instead of in ottawa, our gov't gave them $10,000 and no military funeral,she asked Brian for help with expenses and he gave.

Should her name be published,would you want yours published? We did'nt register as a charity due to the fact that charities bylaw,cannot give cash to other charities.

We are considering registering now because of all the bad response about that. People want to give, but they want a tax reciept so they can get back some of what they donated.Thats from the heart wanting some back.We have since found out that instead ofmoney we can buy things for the hearing society and stacey centre,so its not a cash donation,making being a charity better to get people off ourbacks.

To clear up the statement you made about Lisa miller and Karen Boire'srallies,They were invited to rallies that already existed to speak.I was at the CNE last year,and Joe warmington and Wayne Johnson formed tha trally.Ottawa rally was the same thing,they were invited to speak,Petawawa they started,but with Steven Harper speaking there ,the CF set the whole rally up,once again NO cost to these ladies.Our rally was started by us from the ground up.We paid for everything because we could'nt get a stage donated or P.A system or the grounds or anything donated due to bad press and people like yourself forming opinions without looking at the facts first.

By the way...as soon as one of our soldiers returns home from Afghanistanfor the last tour of duty...He or she becomes a vet,why should'nt we help them.Thats what we are trying to do. Please look at the other email I sent,read it ,Call Lisa and Karen andmaybe ask them why they are being less than honest about the origins ofthe website,cost of their rallies,and maybe ask them to explain why they figure any rally they aren't part of is something wrong.

We had three of the biggest police forces in north america working hand and hand with us on this rally,OPP,toronto,and durham region, all of the fire depts,legions,all service clubs plus thousands of people lining thebridges,as well as rallies across canada at the same time as ours.

If that isn't supporting our troops,I need to know what we missed.I hope to hear a response from you and would really like your support for next year.

Brian Wilkins.

I again, sent an email asking about why is it that they did not attempt to register as a charity in the first place, and a few other questions, about his future plans etc in where he plans to get his organization.

The response I got was as follows....

RE: [Fwd: concerns]‏
Sent: June 4, 2008 12:00:11 AM

Thank you for answering. All monies from all sources will be disclosed even though we don't have to.Watch for news this week or very early next week.We will be presenting a cheque to the canadian hearing society for $12,000.When the rest filtersin we will disperse that and the books will be public. We never meant to hurt anyone.

Perhaps you would recive better response if you were not a military spouse on your high horse stating facts and opinions without getting the bigger picture of those of us who are actually "supporting" the troops through the means of money.

We will be registering as a charity as soon as possible.

Brian Wilkins.

Well thank you Mr. Wilkins, I certainly now know where my money will be going and it certainly will not be to your organization, in an manner. I loved how it was assumed that I was a military spouse, instead of just a concerned party wondering where my money along with others are going. IMO this guy doesn't give a damn, about how people feel, just about how much "good" in can do in the eyes of others.

What a clown.

What a wanker.  I think I might E-mail him myself.

Did you cut and paste the email?  I have to ask because the grammar, spelling, punctuation, etc was.......well, it wasn't.  ::)

I like the little comment about
"People want to give, but they want a tax reciept so they can get back some of what they donated.Thats from the heart wanting some back."

Do you and your "foundation" get a tax receipt for your donations, Mr. Wilkins? 

I did cut and paste it from my email. I was wondering the same thing about that comment. Funny how it all just keeps going around in circles.

Jaydub said:
What a wanker.  I think I might E-mail him myself.

Good luck.

I wrote them on the 30th ... apparently they didn't much like what I had to say nor the questions that I asked.

I got the canned electronic response as follows:

> Date: Fri, 30 May 2008 01:00:25 -0500
> To: XXXXXXXXX@hotmail.com
> From: info@redfridays.ca
> Subject: Red Fridays Contact Form - Other
>
>
> Thank you for contacting Red Fridays. We will get back to you as soon
> as possible.

> The following information was submitted on 2008-05-30 from IP
> 99.251.XXX.XXX by Vern XXXXXX
>
> Your organization or company is Unknown
> >
> Phone information is Unknown and was sent from email
> XXXXXXXXXX@hotmail.com regarding Other
>
> 2008-05-30

Emphasis mine. Apparently this statement within their canned response is also false, seeing that S.Stewart seems to have heard from them since - as in today.

Apparently, they've placed me on ignore --- you'd think, that given their stated objective, they'd be interested in responding to a soldier's email. Guess that I thought incorrectly.

Just another reason for me to be very very wary of putting my money towards this entity. I'll stick with actual honest-to-goodness registered charities - the CFPSA/MFRC who do an absolutely AWESOME job of supporting our troops each and every day.

I e-mailed them, asking about contacting families of the deceased wrt the names of the car.  There were a few e-mails back and forth, all with bad grammar.  I was getting a little annoyed with it, since I take the time to use spell check and grammar check when corresponding with ANY business.  Decided just to stop correspondence.  This is what I got back:

Hello,I did'nt hear back from you and I was wondering if you have any further concerns.It would be great to know if we are still out of line or working for the same common goal as others are.

Its only fair that after calling us less than honourable,you would respond after me responding to you.

Brian Wilkins.

Note that I NEVER said that.  I think he's getting his e-mails mixed up.  I said their methods were questionable.

Strike said:
I e-mailed them, asking about contacting families of the deceased wrt the names of the car.  There were a few e-mails back and forth, all with bad grammar.  I was getting a little annoyed with it, since I take the time to use spell check and grammar check when corresponding with ANY business.  Decided just to stop correspondence.  This is what I got back:

Note that I NEVER said that.  I think he's getting his e-mails mixed up.  I said their methods were questionable.

Hello,I did'nt hear back from you and I was wondering if you have any further concerns.It would be great to know if we are still out of line or working for the same common goal as others are.

Its only fair that after calling us less than honourable,you would respond after me responding to you.

Brian Wilkins.

I just about fell off my chair after reading his quoted to you!!

Hey Brian, Red Friday's Foundation -- if you see this -- I'm that email from "golanvern" that you've yet to respond to as outlined in my post below.

I sure as heck haven't heard back from your foundation even ONCE, which would also seem to be "only fair" no?

Hello Pot <----> Meet Kettle

I don't know about anyone else, but I feel they more they(Red Friday Foundation) opens their mouths, the more garbage that comes out.  I would really like to believe that it is a legit, honourable cause.  Talking in circles, changing their stories, man, it makes me mad and sad all at the same time.

I have googled Brian Muntz and the Red Fridays Foundation and there is lots of interesting stuff out there and almost every article, interview has similar ideas but when asked a specific question about where the idea came from, charities and donations the answers change over time.  I don't know if he is intending this to be a money making business or a charity, he needs to sh** or get off the pot.  My beef is that I think MOST people think it's a charity and that it isn't.  

As the wife of a soldier, I feel betrayed that someone would try and make money off the backs of our fallen heroes.  
It amazes me what some would do for money.
His intentions might be well intended, but his execution sucks!

That is my rant for now, now back to our regularly scheduled program   :)

Back