• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The Passing of CWO Ron Oliver (retired)

Hockeycaper

Inactive
Reaction score
Just a quick sad note to all the gunners who may have known CWO Ron Oliver.
He has passed away on  (31 May 2005).After a short battle with cancer.  He served 33 years with the Artillery and I am sure has touched many lives. He served in Vietnam , Cyprus , Germany not to mention all  over Canada.
Internment will follow at the National Military Cemetary in Ottawa at a later date . If you are interested in attending you can contact 30th Field or e-mail me and I will pass on any info I have.

Ben

Stand Easy TSM

Ron Oliver was my TSM and I owe much of who I became as an Officer to him. It was his guidance sound advise and total love of the soldiers that ensured that when I was tested on the battlefield of Bosnia my command survived and won the day against overwhelming odds. Those soldiers that fought with me during those dark days can thank Ron Oliver for my decisions and actions. I will be forever greatful to his guidance and lessons I learned from him.

Stand Easy CWO Ron Oliver (best TSM in the corp)

For sure Sir, he made each one of us strive to be better and to do our best on and off the battle field. He was a true friend.

Cdn. Royal said:
Just a quick sad note to all the gunners who may have known CWO Ron Oliver.
He has passed away on   (31 May 2005).After a short battle with cancer.   He served 33 years with the Artillery and I am sure has touched many lives. He served in Vietnam , Cyprus , Germany not to mention all   over Canada.
Internment will follow at the National Military Cemetary in Ottawa at a later date . If you are interested in attending you can contact 30th Field or e-mail me and I will pass on any info I have.

Ben

[I too was very saddened to hear of my friend Ron's passing, he will be truly missed by myself and my familly.Please if anyone knows when he will  be laid to rest here in Ottawa, let me know.  RIP Ron. /quote]

It is very sad to hear of Ron's passing. I was fortunate to have him as RSM of 30th Field from 95-99 and you couldn't ask for a better person in that role. The wealth of experience that he brought with him was beyond anything. You always knew where you stood with him and he was fair. I always found him to be very approachable and easy to get along with. Future leaders in the military could learn from what Ron did on how to treat your soldiers and how to get the best out of every soldier in your unit. Ron you will be sorely missed, nobody will be able to compare to you.

MISSION COMPLETED/UBIQUE

I am probably yet another gunner 'moulded' by then Sergeant Major Oliver at 30th Field.  He kept me gainfully employed, encouraged me to finish my degree ("I'll post your ass to Shilo if you don't stay in school"), and kept me out of jail....on more than 1 occasion.  He helped me to realize my potential by pushing me onto courses I really thought I was incapable of, but he knew I would succeed.  Oh yeah, I moved Gear Jammer back and forth from base to base and spent 'quality time' underneath it repairng it.

There will be a ceremony in the Veterans Section of Beechwood Cemetery on October 6.  I will miss him.

Ubique

Regan

I barely met him in my time in 30Fd - he left as RSS when I got in and I was off to the PPCLI prior to him coming back.
Although Regan and Stef and the Dodge 1 ton...

Regardless

Stand Easy Sir  :salute:

Just an update to all... The service has been confirmed and will be held on 6 Oct @ 1400hrs, Beechwood Cemetery, Ottawa . In the Veterans Section. This is a Military Service and will be conducted by 30th Field.

I've never met anyone who commanded such respect when he entered a room. He would smile and look right into you and say "Some times you get the bear.  Some times the bear....".  Well he got me a couple of times.  And I am still thankful that he did.

I'll miss you big guy.

Anyone interested in attending the service may gather at Dow's Lake just after noon on Thursday.  A convoy will then travel to Beechwood for the ceremony.

Dress is 1A.

Ubique

Back