• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

the outrageous posts by shaboing

shaboing

Inactive
Reaction score
i haven't been on in a couple days, and i just was informed about these posts made in my name, they are not me, i have no idea who they are, i haven't signed in on any other computer in over a year, just my personal laptop which hasn't been in a position to be used by anyone, so i dont know how this happened but i'm tell you this cause the posts that were made give me a bad name, and my unit a bad name, i am extremely p*ssed off about this. i have informed the directing staff of the situation and now i'm just informing everyone who read that B.S and thought what an idiot. hope you all understand. its just too bad there are idiots among us that think thats funny

Have they compared IP addresses, because if the account was accessed on another computer, the IP will show up as such. If not, you may be digging yourself in..

unless someone broke into my house the IP's will be different, so compare away

personally i can see the IP of the individual that made the posts as well as mine, and they are different, so i dont have to worry bout the locks on my doors, lol *ps i would have edited but i cant find where it says to, i think the edit function is missing due the the verbal warning thing

ShaBoing,

If the IP address is different I would suggest running a whois (http://ws.arin.net/cgi-bin/whois.pl) on the IP address to obtain contact information for the ISP, and then contacting them and informing them that said IP address engaged in illegal activities at such and such a time.

Take note that this may just be a proxy server, or another infected machine.

As well, if you have not already done so, turn on your windows firewall, uninstall any peer-2-peer filesharing programs, disable windows file and printer sharing, and install and run anti-virus and anti-malware programs (I suggest AVG Free Edition, for non-commerical use, and of course Ad-aware or Spybot-S&D, all free, once again, for non-commercial use). As well, put a password on your windows account, and make your files and folders private. If you did not do so upon installation, put a password on your administrator account as well. You may want to also consider purchasing a router with a NAT or DNAT firewall with SPI.

*edit* Oh, and if you do any online banking or have accounts with ebay or something, I'd be worried. Make sure you make your passwords something other than your dog or cats name as well. Alphanumeric with non-standard characters, more than 6 characters in length are best.

alright, thanks buddy, i have been workin on some of this such as changing passwords and virus scan for a few hours, will get the other stuff going now, thanks again

As well, if you have not already done so, turn on your windows firewall

Actually, I would advise against this.  The SP2 firewall is a piece of junk.  Its hard to administer, and often does not prompt to create access rules, in turn blocking access to some basic programs (and online games).  Try McAfee Firewall, Symantic Internet Security, Zone Alarm or Black Ice.  They are some pretty good firewalls with some fairly decent and straight forward administration controls.

lol, resurrecting a dead thread eh?

The windows firewall provides an adequate level of inbound intrusion prevention, and will significantly reduce your chances of getting a malware infection. It does not provide any outbound protection, and it's rather dumb, but it does what it is supposed to 98% of the time (in almost five years I've never once encoutered a problem with it, windows services will by and large reconfigure it to their needs, as will a lot of programs, and it's incredibly easy to lead a user through adding a new rule).

Zone Alarm is indeed a better program, as it is free as well, however for users not well versed in network operations I have found that it causes far more problems than good (and don't get me started on Internet Security.... if any of my tech's encounter it on a machine or network we immediately uninstall it as a free service to the user...)

Overall the average user is best served by watching what you open, surf, or view.

(in almost five years I've never once encoutered a problem with it,

Thats strange considering the fact that the Windows XP firewall was not even out for 5 years.  It was released with Service Pack 2 which was released in 2004.

Windows XP itself hasn't even been out for 5 years.

On a side note, I administer a network of many computers, and the first thing we do when we image one of our desktops is get rid of the SP2 firewall and replace it with something that is not a piece of junk...

Lost_Warrior said:
Its been out for very close to 5 years, being that it was released to the public in October, 2001 and was in testing for a long time before that.

Lost_Warrior said:
Thats strange considering the fact that the Windows XP firewall was not even out for 5 years.  It was released with Service Pack 2 which was released in 2004.
ICF was availible in the first release of XP (2001)... you just actually had to go and turn it on yourself before SP2 (SP2 it was turned on automatically, renamed "Windows Firewall", and given a prettier interface).

Google "Windows XP Release Date"... no not five years, but almost five years.

On a side note, I administer a network of many computers
:)

and the first thing we do when we image one of our desktops is get rid of the SP2 firewall and replace it with something that is not a piece of junk...

Great! You hopefully have a basic understanding of networking principles, and what services need access to the internet, and what don't..... you're average user has no such clue. I can't even remember the number of times a user has come in complaining of a lost internet connection, and it's because they've done something not so good with their norton, zone alarm, etc. etc.

Not looking for a fight here mac, I just suggested that a user who obviously does not have a firm grasp of the subject matter (not a dig against you ShaBoing, but it didn't seem as though you were Network+ certified or something along the lines) use a proven, user friendly, and widely accepted tool, which, when used in conjunction with other user friendly tools (such as updates, anti-virus, anti-spyware/addware, and a router with DNAT, SPI, port blocking, etc.,) and a hint of common sense when browsing can provide a layman with an acceptable level of protection without causing them more grief than is necessary. As i said, yes, Zone Alarm is better, in fact I use Zone Alarm on my home machines... but that has little to do with my reasoning.

I understand what you are saying.  I agree.  The XP firewall is simple enough for those who do not know their way around the security aspects of one.

The thing I find about the XP firewall is though, a lot of our employees travel, and often connect to networks which are not our own.  For some reason, the XP firewall always seems to block traffic from other networks.  It never creates the proper rules nor does it ever prompt to allow the new network to be trusted or restricted.

I notice with ZA, Norton, and McAfee, the minute you plug into another LAN, you get a pop up saying that a new LAN was detected, and prompts you to add it to the trusted networks or not.

Also, we use a VPN client, that for some reason, relies heavily on ICMP requests (which is odd for a PPTP based piece of Software.  It's an old Nortel VPN client...go figure..)  More often than not, the XP firewall has taken it upon itself to block all ping/ICMP, in turn causing frequent disconnections.

The thing that I like about all the other "Non Windows XP" firewalls is the fact that they can easily be administered, and configured for our clients.  The XP firewall often makes the "wrong rules" for itself, and causes a lot of problems.

This is a bit off topic, and definitely does not belong in the Infantry/Combat Arms section.  If a mod wants to move this to radio chatter, be my guest.

Back