• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The Next Minister of Defense

Ghost778 said:
Umm, what?

Does this mean no more 40mm's from the M203 or even bombs from cf18s?

That's funny in a sad way.
Would that mean that the Triple 7's would be coming home?

Think of the nightmare of a dud 155 round lying out there in the Afghan hills.

Rumours (picked up over a couple too many pints yesterday afternoon and evening):

• Friends of Rick Hillier have already made it known (to Harper’s political team) that his ‘old friend’ Gordon O’Connor’s former career as a defence lobbyist might make it difficult for him to be a visibly effective defence minister.  The national media is already picking up on O’Connor’s lobbying; and

• Despite their absolute joy at the demise of Pierre Pettigrew (I heard it said that he was both venal and incredibly lazy as well as being shallow, rude and nearly impossible to brief), the foreign affairs mandarins (including some old friends of Derek Burney) are expressing reservations about Stockwell Day.  The gold standard in foreign ministers, they point out, is Condoleezza Rice and Day’s lack of formal qualifications etc will be spread about by a generally hostile media and that will reduce his effectiveness.  Surely, they ask, there are good, solid choices within the upper levels of the Conservative caucus who will enhance Canada’s standing in the world, etc, etc, etc.

The thinking here abouts is:

• Defence: Day

• Foreign Affairs: Stolberg, or Peter MacKay if he asks for it

• Veterans’ Affairs: O’Connor

For what it’s worth and, I emphasize, all rumours.

Edit: Changed to "Friends of Rick Hillier have ..." which is, I think, what I really heard

Ed, those rumours do sound plausible.

The toughest job that Mr. Harper's staff will have this entire term will be to choose the right mix for cabinet. If they do not get it right this time, they may not have another chance to sort it out for several yrs.

Just listening to recent comments in the news, it appears "some of Harper's caucus may be surprised as to who will and who will not be getting Cabinet Posts."

A little off topic, but ...

Another interesting rumour: Harper will take a leaf from Mulroney's 1984 book.  Remember how Mulroney surprised (and pleased) many folks by appointing NDP star Stephen Lewis to be our ambassador to the UN?  Mulroney did that to allay fears about how conservative he was.  Harper will invite NDP super-star Ed Broadbent to come back as a part time but paid ”servant of Parliament” (of some sort) to deal with/advise on ethics or accountability.  Broadbent cannot take on a full time task because his wife is very, very ill but he is rumoured to be interested in doing something in Ottawa – on or around the Hill.

Addendum

Ah, a nice brisk walk clears the cobwebs.  Here is another rumour, also a bit off topic: the next Secretary General of the United Nations will be …
<drum roll>
John Manley!

Here is how is will play out:

• He is the favoured candidate of the influential Council on Foreign Relations but the US will not put him forward;

• None of the candidates put forward by either the African Union or the Arab League will be acceptable to the US;

• The Europeans will be unable to find a consensus candidate – a loose coalition of the UK, Norway and some eastern Europeans will oppose any candidate offered by the Franco-German centre and, conversely, no one favoured by the UK will escape  French veto.  None of the Europeans will like the Russian proposal;

• The Asia-Pacific group will have three candidates: one favoured by China, another by India and a third by Japan – none will get enough support to go forward; and

• The OAS will propose Manley as a compromise candidate – most likely proposed by Mexico.

I doubt Manley will be offered the job. I have heard  Shashi Tharoor, the under secretary for public information. As an Indian it would be a good move. Another possibility is Vaclav Havel a man with a great reputation.

Pick Laurie Hawn for goodness sakes...I've had the pleasure of talking with him a few times, and he seemed to me an intellegent, level headed man, which I don't think describes O'Conner.

Picking the Indian will irk the Pakistanis - our "ally" in GWOT...

http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/ContentServer?pagename=thestar/Layout/Article_PrintFriendly&c=Article&cid=1139179810364

MacKay may get the nod. Any thoughts ?

Gordon O'Connor got in.

http://www.cbc.ca/story/canada/national/2006/02/06/harper-ottawa060206.html

Looks like it's:
Gordon O'Connor

partial list only for now.
oops! sorry for the duplicate, I was slow in logging in!

kahone said:
Looks like it's:
Gordon O'Connor

partial list only for now.
oops! sorry for the duplicate, I was slow in logging in!

another Ref:
http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/ContentServer?pagename=thestar/Layout/Article_Type1&c=Article&cid=1139227386481&call_pageid=968332188492&col=968793972154

After keeping news of his cabinet a closely guarded secret, key cabinet posts will go to:

Peter MacKay - Foreign affairs minister
Jim Flaherty - Finance minister
Lawrence Cannon - Transport, Infrastructure and Communities minister
Stockwell Day -- Public Safety minister
Vic Toews - Justice minister
Gordon O'Connor - Defence minister
Tony Clement - Health minister
Michael Fortier - Public Works minister
Rona Ambrose - Environment minister
Maxime Bernier - Industry minister
Jim Prentice - Indian Affairs minister

It just had to be Gord....If his tenure as MND is anything like his previous issues....God D*mnit

Back