• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The "MOVE OVER" Law

I know all about the sirens thing, necessary evil. Then again, I have not ever run as much as an average bloodbox does.

Some vollies are bad enough with a beat up Tempo and four ways, I'd hate to see the vehicle pinball played if the green lights get in down here.

Keep writing them up. Mention it to as many officers as you can.

We had a local chap who was always donating money to us for whatever we wanted to purchase outside of capital funds. TIC, porta pump, etc. Then he gets cut off and almost run into the ditch by one of our former idiots and the cheques stopped. Didn't take long for the Chief to breathe fire down the neck of the fellow responsible in that mess.

Sheerin said:
I personally hate using the sirens, <snip>   

The S.O.P. for us was and still is:

"Emergency Warning Light Systems are recommended, but not limited to, the following situations:

• While responding to the scene of an emergency call with a patient who has or may have a
possible life-threatening condition;

• When en route to hospital with a patient or injured person exhibiting a life-threatening or
possible life-threatening condition."

Sheerin said:
<snip> mostly because they're annoying to listen to.   

They are so much louder now than they used to be.

T-EMS is now experimenting with Rumblers and Thumpers.

"Ideal for use in highly populated urban environments. A siren you can FEEL!

A whooping vibration-siren system with the distinct advantage of penetrating and shaking solid materials, allowing vehicle operators and nearby pedestrians to FEEL the sound waves and perhaps even see their effects through a shaking rearview mirror.":
http://www.flickr.com/photos/gopherit2/4086732723/

Sheerin said:
As for the green lights, i've had some issues with vollies and their bloody green lights. 

Heard of vollies, but never saw one.

Edit

I used to love hearing the wake of car alarms behind me as the bumper mounted air horn did its business.

Bliss.

Hamilton fire is a mix professional/volley service, the outlying rural areas are covered by Volleys, and of course they get paged out for the same medical calls as the professional fire guys.  There have been a couple times when responding to a call that a volley with their green lights has almost caused an accident due to them being careless.

Get the police involved if you can. I'm a volley, and I use a green light, but I obey the HTA when responding, the green light is a courtesy light only.  People like that make the rest of us 'professional volunteers' look like the yokels we can be made out to be.

Sheerin said:
Hamilton fire is a mix professional/volley service, the outlying rural areas are covered by Volleys, and of course they get paged out for the same medical calls as the professional fire guys.

The Hamilton "volunteers" belong to a trade union:
http://www.hamilton.ca/NR/rdonlyres/3EF302D1-5D1A-4BCD-B9C6-D2A54F965939/0/GHVFFA0811.pdf

Sheerin said:
There have been a couple times when responding to a call that a volley with their green lights has almost caused an accident due to them being careless.

The only people in Toronto who respond with flashing green lights are members of Hatzoloh.

Their target response time is under 3 minutes, 100% of the time.

They are a recognized component of T-EMS, and work side-by-side with us around the clock.

I always appreciated their presence.

Published on Dec 28, 2015

Emergency vehicle operations downtown.
Motoring TV rides with a crew that have been partners for 13 years.

This segment originally appeared on Episode 8 of Motoring 2016.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2EEmAgSZCnM

The Motoring TV guy says, "Take it from me, they hardly have time to finish a sandwich."  :)

I live in a rural area about 40 mins outside of Ottawa.  Mostly farmland surrounding a small village.  The flashing green lights are fairly well known here, and while drivers aren't obligated to make room for them, most pull over very quickly to allow them to pass.  I don't recall the actual figures from a council presentation I attended, but the average response times rival that of the full time departments in the city.  They're usually on scene before OPP or EMS.

Occam said:
I live in a rural area about 40 mins outside of Ottawa.  Mostly farmland surrounding a small village.  The flashing green lights are fairly well known here, and while drivers aren't obligated to make room for them, most pull over very quickly to allow them to pass.  I don't recall the actual figures from a council presentation I attended, but the average response times rival that of the full time departments in the city.  They're usually on scene before OPP or EMS.

In Toronto, only Hatzoloh are equipped with flashing green lights. They have approximately 250 hours of training, and are certified as Emergency Medical Responders. They administer EPI Pens, ASA and ventolin, as well as blood glucose tests.
They are the only volunteer organization to have been accorded membership in the Ontario Paramedic Association.

They do not transport.

They operate 24/7 along the Bathurst Street corridor north of Eglinton Avenue. 

Hatzolohs target response time is under 3 minutes, 100% of the time. Toronto Paramedic Service is designed to respond to life-threatening calls in 9 minutes, a target that is met only 69% of the time.

From Winnipeg. Starts out as a "routine" PI...
http://justslowdown.ca/

Watch your back at all times!

Back