• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The latest installment in the eternal USN SSN vs. SSK debate

...And he is wrong about the bottoming bit.  At least, that is what I have been told and I have no reason to disbelieve my source.  ;)

FYI - it's the weight of the anchor cable that holds a vessel fast and not the anchor itself.  How do you run the cable out while bottomed or vice versa?

I'm pretty sure they dropped it in the process of bottoming. In any case, they operated bottomed for weeks at a time.

Dr. Vego is a professor of operations at the Naval War College. Before coming to the United States in 1976, he served as commanding officer of torpedo boats and gunboats in the former Yugoslav Navy and as 2nd officer (Deck) in the former West German merchant marine. He is the author of Naval Strategy and Operations in Narrow Seas (London: Frank Cass Publishers, 1999 and 2nd ed., 2003), and of many articles on littoral warfare.

So...a non-qual then.

I'll take his word over some bloggers who let their obvious nuclear bias overrule any possible discussion of non-nuclear for the USN.

You do that. I'll stick with the people qualified to have an opinion.

SeaKingTacco said:
...And he is wrong about the bottoming bit.  At least, that is what I have been told and I have no reason to disbelieve my source.  ;)
Except that playing with the heads of air crew is a favourite submariner hobby... >:D

Lex Parsimoniae said:
Except that playing with the heads of air crew is a favourite submariner hobby... >:D

Thankfully we are immune to submariner parlour tricks.........We know what we're doing.

Except that playing with the heads of air crew is a favourite submariner hobby...

True...but normally we moon them. And if you think that's easy wearing coveralls, you'd be surprised.

Back