• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The Land Operations Temperate Boots (LOTB)

RCPalmer said:
Don't forget about the personnel costs of injuries associated with ill-fitting or inadequate footwear...for the last decade. That's my sunny thought for the day.  :facepalm:

It was also stated that there would be 80 sizes... I'm not sure if that will translate into a better fit, or greater chance of error, but that's what was said at any rate.

Terrier said:
]

Nothing was unclear about what was said, and I doubt the CWO was mistaken, or shooting from the hip on that one. The Mark IV with a softer sole will be the boot we are issued going forward. I'm just not sure when the planned start date for that is, as I don't recall there being one given. Agree with it or not, that's what we were told is happening.

No no no... I completely understand about the clarity of what was said, and that the CWO was NOT mistaken... misinformed is a better way to put it. What I'm saying is that yes, it may be true, but I have read everything on CTS and I can't find anything on another implementation. They reference a new boot (the LOTB) ready to go for trial in 2014, but that's it. No completion timeframe. It just seems off to me. Just like recce said - we would be right back to square zero. Why would we do that?

But, one never knows, do they!

Terrier said:
It was also stated that there would be 80 sizes... I'm not sure if that will translate into a better fit, or greater chance of error, but that's what was said at any rate.

Greater chances of error, more sizes to stock (or not stock).  I have received three separate issues of mondopoint sized boots (once when the CWWB was introduced, and twice for arids), and I have never received the size measured. Instead, I got what was available.  I could get by using extra insoles or thicker socks, but I've yet to have a really good fit with mondopoint.

BinRat55 said:
No no no... I completely understand about the clarity of what was said, and that the CWO was NOT mistaken... misinformed is a better way to put it. What I'm saying is that yes, it may be true, but I have read everything on CTS and I can't find anything on another implementation. They reference a new boot (the LOTB) ready to go for trial in 2014, but that's it. No completion timeframe. It just seems off to me. Just like recce said - we would be right back to square zero. Why would we do that?

But, one never knows, do they!

I looked on the Army G4 ACIMs site in addition to the DLR/CTS site and even read the recent G4 Sitrep and there is nothing in there except the LOTB issuance.  If there is a move back to a MkIV boot they are hiding it well.

MJP said:
I looked on the Army G4 ACIMs site in addition to the DLR/CTS site and even read the recent G4 Sitrep and there is nothing in there except the LOTB issuance.  If there is a move back to a MkIV boot they are hiding it well.

Veddy veddy sneaky. You underestimate their sneakiness?

MJP said:

I don't know about the documentation aspect of it. I'm just going by the info passed on to us via the CWO. He passed it on and told us to spread the info to those that ask / bring it up.

It would be a greater than $5 million project so therefore would be on the Capability Investment Database...

It wouldn't be out of line for something like this to happen but come on. How much do we need to continue wasting on this problem? Canada doesn't have a viable footwear industry. Get over it.

If it is a minor improvement to an in service item done on a going forward basis it would be a product improvement, not a capital project.

BinRat55 said:
we would be right back to square zero. Why would we do that?

To take advantage of the cost savings derived from buying leather for these boots and the new Sam Browne belts all in one go...?

Out of curiosity could someone quote me the price of what the CF pays per pair of MkIV boot and LOTBs?

I actually heard the same info today from someone in the Supply system, that is, the plan is to bring back the Mark IIIs with a vibram sole. I would think that many people would be happy with this, because all I've heard from alot of seasoned members was "why don't they bring back the Mark III's", or "I've resoled my Mark III's x number of times rather than get the new ones".

For being able to find the correct size, how much of that is actually physical foot discomfort, vs. the psychological impact of not wearing what you are used to. For example, soldier x wears size 9.5 in everthing else he wears, regardless of manufacturer, but because the boot is in mondopoint, it all of a sudden doesn't fit "right". Similar to how when we went F to C, 22 degrees C was either too hot or too cold, but 72 degrees F was perfect.

Mondopoint scale is messed up. I can wear 10.5 running shoes, and 9.5 COTS boots with no issues, but as soon as they try mondopoint, I end up with a width that is either too tight in the forefoot, or too loose in the heel causing blisters. How do we screw up something so simple as shoe size? It's the same for shirts. I can wear a dress that fits my arm length, or look like my shirt shrunk in the wash. I'm 6'1", not a 6'7" monster. Thankfully the new combat shirts have a significantly better fit.

If I had 2 dimensional feet, I might buy into the belief that 101 flavors of mondopoint sizing is adequate on providing people proper fitting footwear, but it's not. There is something seriously wrong with the product we're being offered when I struggle to be provided with footwear that fits, yet I can walk into any store and find running/hiking/casual footwear that fits fine.

PuckChaser said:
I can wear a dress that fits my arm length, or look like my shirt shrunk in the wash.

Just saying... nothing wrong with it, it's all about the cut that makes a man look good or bad in a dress. Trust me, I know.

PuckChaser said:
Mondopoint scale is messed up. I can wear 10.5 running shoes, and 9.5 COTS boots with no issues, but as soon as they try mondopoint, I end up with a width that is either too tight in the forefoot, or too loose in the heel causing blisters. How do we screw up something so simple as shoe size? It's the same for shirts. I can wear a dress that fits my arm length, or look like my shirt shrunk in the wash. I'm 6'1", not a 6'7" monster. Thankfully the new combat shirts have a significantly better fit.

I know it's the new army.. but...... ;D

It's strictly a style and comfort thing, guys. No name change to Caitlyn.

Bzzliteyr said:
Just saying... nothing wrong with it, it's all about the cut that makes a man look good or bad in a dress. Trust me, I know.

Yeah, yeah....we've all seen that Fresh Prince episode too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBopPE_HAyY

PuckChaser said:
No name change to Caitlyn.

If we get enough "Reports to Moderators" requesting that, and he does not offer us enough money not to do so, who knows what is or isn't possible?

I too have heard that the Army Sergeant Major, with the Army Commander,while addressing the last Army Command Team Course, had stated that the LOTB will go away and we will all move to the GP boot through attrition replacement.  That means you will wear what is on your feet until those wear-out, and you will get whatever style of boot happens to be on the shelf at clothing when you go for replacement or new issue.  However, when the LCMM needs to restock the shelves, then GP boot is what will be contracted for.

Back