• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The Kirpan court decision

I think it is safe to assume that very few of you, or even none of you go to
school where A LOT of people where the kirpan. Well I do, I live in Surrey BC,
which is renowned for the number of Indo-Canadians that live here, in fact, we
have the highest concentration of Sikhs outside of the Punjab, and I believe
the Kirpan is no more a weapon then a pen or scissors. Sure knives can be used
as weapons, but Anything can be. And a Kirpan isn't just a knife, its also a very
ceremonial and religious symbol. None of the Sikhs I know that wear it would
ever use it as a weapon, but believe me, I've seen a few of them fight well
enough with their fists. And trust me on this one, its not like other students
don't already bring worst concealed weapons to school.
Just my $0.02

Dan

Multani v. Commission scolaire Marguerite-Bourgeoys

http://www.lexum.umontreal.ca/csc-scc/en/rec/html/2006scc006.wpd.html

paragraph 129 which deals with the principle of 'reasonable accomodation' and which explains how the law tries to balance an individual's constitutional freedom with the environmental constraints that are imposed on it

Read it for yourself

I wonder how the decision affects Wiccan practitionners, who could potentially want to bring their ceremonial knife/sword (I can't remember the name for it, I apologize) to class/work/etc? Seeing it's a religious symbol as well, there should not be restrictions, but I bet if someone tried to pull it off they'd pay for it.

Frederik G said:
I wonder how the decision affects Wiccan practitionners, who could potentially want to bring their ceremonial knife/sword (I can't remember the name for it, I apologize) to class/work/etc? Seeing it's a religious symbol as well, there should not be restrictions, but I bet if someone tried to pull it off they'd pay for it.

Please cite the principal Wicca reference that states it is to be carried on their person at all times.

Frederick, your attempted counter-arguments thus far have failed to stand up to critical examination.  Please try to develop a complete argument before throwing out any more red herrings.

Thank you.

Michael O'Leary said:
Please cite the principal Wicca reference that states it is to be carried on their person at all times.

Frederick, your attempted counter-arguments thus far have failed to stand up to critical examination.  Please try to develop a complete argument before throwing out any more red herrings.

Thank you.

I was just "wondering aloud" so to speak. As for the "principal Wicca reference", it is my understand that it doesn't exist. Wicca is a much more free-form religion than Christianity or Sikh...ism (?) therefore citing one particular reference would be useless and simplistic. I also don't have access to the few books I own about Wicca, right now, so I can't do further research into the matter.

Okay, I'll bite.

http://groups.msn.com/-WiccanMoon-/theathame.msnw

The Athame (or magickal knife) is not actually used for cutting purposes in Wicca, but for casting circles (Spheres of personal power in which rituals are preformed), and directing energies we raise in rituals and spells. It usually is double edged, with a black handle used for absorbing and storing energies we choose to use or re-use at a later time. It is usually associated with the element of Fire. The Athame rests upon the Gods portion of the altar towards the bottom right hand side.

So unless the school has a wiccan alter to cast spells at (I'm betting: NO) then there is no reason to have one of these things.  And I'm sure it can be "cleansed and charged" somewhere other than a school yard.

No case.

Frederik G said:
I was just "wondering aloud" so to speak. As for the "principal Wicca reference", it is my understand that it doesn't exist. Wicca is a much more free-form religion than Christianity or Sikh...ism (?) therefore citing one particular reference would be useless and simplistic. I also don't have access to the few books I own about Wicca, right now, so I can't do further research into the matter.

Well, to my understanding, the expectations placed upon a Sikh regarding the Kirpan are very clearly documented and I suspect, formed a significant contribution to the SCC's decision making process.  Your mention of Wicca, like mentioning conspiracy theories, and comparing this situation to development of AIDS awareness and to Nazism in 1930s/40s Germany, are all red herrings.  You throw these "theories" out looking for a response, perhaps for someone else to jump on and support, and then back away when they are shown to be flaccid arguments unworthy of comparison to the case supposedly under discussion.  If you don't agree with the decision, just say so and then either present a case worthy of debate, or move on with your life.

Frederik G said:
Sikh...ism (?)

Sikhism is correct,

Sikhism is the faith, a person who follows that faith is called a Sikh, (pronounced Sh-ick)

DSB said:
Sikhism is correct,

Sikhism is the faith, a person who follows that faith is called a Sikh, (pronounced Sh-ick)

Thanks for the note. :) I always thought it was supposed to sound something like "seek" though. Stupid mass media!

Back